High Frequency Hearing Test?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      I'm going to a different ENT soon for a 2nd opinion, the first one was rude, dismissive and totally uninformed about T. His audiologist did a hearing test that reported I have perfect hearing, although I am pretty sure that my left ear high frequency T is due to some hearing loss at that frequency.

My question: when I see this new ENT shouldn't I also have a new hearing test done but ask to be tested at a wider range of frequencies than is the usual standardized test? What should I ask for?

I am hopeful this ENT will be more helpful, I got his name from an ATA sponsored T support group!

Thanks and have a quiet day!

2. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi @Isabella 123
      The standard audiogram just tests up to 8oo0Hz, I believe.
      That is so great that they have tested you at perfect hearing.
      I have a hearing test coming up, and very scared.
      As you know, my t was induced by lidocaine anesthetic 4 months ago. Any hearing deficit will show nerve or hair cell damage, which means that the t may be irreversible. I had perfect hearing when tested 3 years ago.
      Do you know the reason for your t? Looks like it may be fairly new for you too. Were you changing meds, coming off meds? Did you have an ear infection? Head trauma? Eustachian tube problems on a flight? Go through a very stressful time? Noise exposure? The list of causes is endless.
      Reason I ask is that if you have great hearing, the t may indeed be temporary.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I really don't have that great hearing, actually, and I think my T is a result of very high frequency loss. When I'm using my earbuds to mask with rain forest or running water, it's louder in one ear than the other, my T ear can barely hear it when my other ear can hear it fine. So that makes me think I need another hearing test, esp at high frequency.

I didn't have any of those things happen to me that you mentioned, and I'm in my late 60s so I really think it's age related. The ENT I saw knew less than me about T, he spent about 5 minutes with me and basically said there's no cure you just have to distract yourself, my only suggestion is to keep your TV on all the time, kind of loud so you don't hear the ringing. I said something about Pink Noise and he laughed and said he had never heard of such a thing! Huh?

So I'm not expecting mine to go away.
      :(

Yours might though, due to how you got it. Mine started in early December in my left ear.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have hearing loss at very high frequencies, but my hearing test only went t0 8000 hz, so I don't think I have perfect hearing. I can only guess that whatever good hearing I have is genetic because I haven't done anything special to preserve it other than I've never been exposed to really loud music or other loud sounda.

5. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Can high frequency (up to 16HZ) audiogram test damage your hearing?
      If you already have high frequency damage would not testing for it aggravate those so called dead cells further?