High-Frequency Tinnitus When You're Young

Discussion in 'Support' started by Reinier, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      "Older" people are in general not able to hear high frequencies anymore or to a lesser extend. Frequencies higher than lets say 12-15 kHz.
      I remember "loosing" the 15626 Hz frequency an old tv generates when I was 40, if I remember correctly.
      I was able to hear the frequency at higher volumes though. What I am saying is that it is not unusual when you get older your hearing looses the sensitivity for higher frequencies.

And now my questions: Are there people that are, lets say middle aged or older, that have a high frequency tinnitus? A tinnitus frequency of (as an example) 15 kHz.
      Can you have a tinnitus frequency that is a frequency that you are not able to hear when it comes from outside your ears or head?
      If so, could this imply that when you are young and you suffer from a 15 kHz tinnitus frequency this could go away when you get older?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Ashish Sahoo

Ashish Sahoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      i think dis hypothesis can work..m waiting for a loss upto 13k hz to see wht happens..thnx.

3. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wished so, but I've read about someone who had a T in a frequency he couldnt hear anymore.

Acutally since I've T in very high frequency myself I already considered to stimulate/harm my ear with that frequency. But I didn't dare...
      Anybody ever tried that?

4. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I have high frequency hearing loss (14.5 kHz) and tinnitus at that frequency. Can't hear it when it's coming from the outside. Can hear it very well in my head.

So as I age, the frequency could come down? That would be a godsend gift. Finally something to look forward to ;). Not going for the self inflicting thing though :eek:.

BTW I'm 47 and have what is considered excellent hearing for my age. My right ear has some trouble understanding speech. My left ear is fine. Tinnitus is mostly in my right ear but travels trough my head and can be any where in my head, left ear, right ear, both ears, throat, back of my head.

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Umm, no. Tinnitus will sit in the spots where you don't hear so well. Loose more hearing and you could easily get additional tinnitus.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

Cannot hear anymore is a key point. I really believe tinnitus most often stems from rapid hearing loss and or hearing damage at the frequency the tinnitus occurs. If say someone in their 70s gradually lost their 12-16kHz hearing decades ago, are they likely to suddenly develop tinnitus in that frequency range? Doubtful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      It is not total loss of hearing of a certain frequency. I am talking about damage.
      So many examples of people that experience tinnitus, but have a "perfect" audiogram.

Sometimes (for 30 minutes or less) I can hear no tinnitus:rockingbanana:. Yet I have the same feeling and he experience of tinnitus. Pressure inside my head, hyperacusis, etc.....
      This made me wonder if I experience tinnitus outside my hearing range.
      But this is rare though. I have not yet read this on this forum. Almost a rule of thumb: young people experience often high frequency tinnitus and middle aged and older people 4-8 kHz.

Well...don't you dare.:confused: That would be .....not very scientific......
      You will end up with many discomforts. Hyperacusis, tinnitus at frequencies you did not "target", and many many more not planned damage.

I agree with @Alue . I also believe it is the rapid loss of hearing that gives us tinnitus. Normal wear gives our brain time to adapt.