Highly Fluctuating Tinnitus/Spikes... Confused.

Discussion in 'Support' started by DaneV, Nov 27, 2018.

1. DaneV
      Confused

DaneV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus for over 8 years now. Like many, I struggled at first but habituated after a couple of months, making tinnitus a non-issue in my life. I think there were months in a row that I didn`t even think about tinnitus during this years, even though I could hear it when I listened to it.

Some days, I used to have nasty spikes. Often, it would follow a day of over-exercising, to little sleep or great amounts of mental stress. During these (rare) spikes, I could hear my tinnitus over every normal sound and even loud music couldn`t mask it. The good thing was, these spikes always went back to normal within 1-2 days.

During the last 3-4 months however, these disturbing spikes became more and more frequent. Currently, my tinnitus is at this insanely loud level for allmost half of my days. Other days, it is so silent that I can barely hear it in a quiet room and I forget about it quickly.

I really wish I could pinpoint why one day my tinnitus is nearly non-existent and the other day its going trough the roof. I mean, there must be something that "triggers" the bad days, right ?

Some facts/observations:
      • I Quit drinking (bottle wine per day) and smoking over 2 months ago. Quitting seemed to have worsened the frequency and severety of my tinnitus "spikes" significantly
      • I Have some mild hyperacusis and some fullness in my ears during these spikes
      • Stress doesn`t seem to directly influence it. I can have stressful but silent days and vice versa
      • Sleep always "resets" it, it never changes during the day. If I wake up with loud tinnitus, I will go to bed with it. But I can go to bed with screaming tinnitus, sleep 6 hours and wake up allmost without it.
      • I have the feeling cafeïne makes it worse, but I have a hard time quitting it
      Does anyone have experiences like this, or has any idea what I could try to pinpoint the reason for these "extreme" fluctuations in my tinnitus ? I can easily live with my mild tinnitus, but I`m really struggling with this (now frequent) episodes where I can hear tinnitus even over very loud sounds :/

2. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I have the exact same tinnitus. Your description of it is exactly like mine. No time or reason why tinnitus does what it does. I just go about my day on the loud ones and I know it will go back down soon enough. Eventually I feel like I just stop caring about the loud days.

3. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Same here. It's been this way for about 2 1/2 years.

4. The pizza man

The pizza man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown vertigo?
      I have the same experience. That's why I came to this forum tonight. My tinnitus comes and goes. I have had it for just over a year. I got Vertigo last October and I developed tinnitus when I had Vertigo. My Vertigo was bad for 2 weeks. But I noticed the noise in my ears when I would wake up when I had Vertigo. When my Vertigo left I still would hear sounds in my ears. I went to my doctor and he told me I had tinnitus. I have been dealing with it as best I can. The same thing happens to me as it does to you. (If I wake up with loud tinnitus, I will go to bed with it. But I can go to bed with screaming tinnitus, sleep 6 hours and wake up all most without it. Also I really wish I could pinpoint why one day my tinnitus is nearly non-existent and the other day its going trough the roof. I mean, there must be something that "triggers" the bad days, right ?) I think maybe stress kicks in the bad days. I have a lot of stress owning a pizza restaurant. I also like my coffee and that might have some affect. But then again I can drink my coffee and be tinnitus free or almost without it for a week to 10 days. But then it comes back through the roof like it is now. It would only spike like this once in a while for maybe 2 or 3 days and then be gone for quite a while. But now they are coming more frequent. When my tinnitus spikes it's more in my head than in my ears. It's just this LOUD hissing in my head. Sometimes when I wake up I hear it in my ears and it is low. But when I get up it starts getting louder. So I go back to bed and lay on my side and try to nod out. Then I switch position and lay on my other side and try to relax and nod. Then if I'm lucky and it works I get up and the hissing in my ears are gone and I can have a good day. I hope your spikes as well as my spikes stop coming so frequent. I'm on my 3rd day spike and it's driving me crazy. Good luck
      Paul

5. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      You can add me to the list. Few days will be awesome, followed by a shit one. Sleep is usually a factor