History of Mild Pulsatile Tinnitus Has Turned Into More Severe (General?) Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Selenius, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Selenius

Selenius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone. This is very much new for me.

I’ve had pulsatile tinnitus for years but it’s mild and doesn’t bother me.

Over the last year however I’ve experienced more severe general tinnitus - basically it sounds like an army of cicadas are right next to me. It’s worse at night and impacts sleep.

Over the last couple of weeks it’s become more of an issue so I’ll need to explore treatment.

Not sure if it’s relevant, but I also have a chronic illness - postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). For what it’s worth, when I initially investigated POTS, the neurologist also diagnosed vestibular migraines and had me complete a hearing test which showed some hearing loss in the left ear.

Keen for any insights on first steps. Thanks in advance.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      If you have vestibular migraines, there could be a viral cause. Where are your hearing losses?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Selenius

Selenius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Brian. The test was seven years ago so I’ll need to try and find the results. I’m seeing my doctor shortly and I’ll ask for more testing, although not sure whether you’re supposed to see an audiologist or an ENT (or both?).

4. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Both.

• Like Like x 1