Hours of Relief

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Jan 7, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      The weirdest, most wonderful thing happened today. I listened to an old half hour TV show on YouTube with headphones. It was a BAD recording. Probably something from someone's VHS recorded over 3 times. Anyway, it was not like our digital stuff nowdays, it was unclear and had a LOT of hissy scratchy background noise. Oh, the most annoying part, it wasn't stereo, and it was audible only to my left ear, my bad ear. I had to concentrate to understand the words. It was worth it - it was a funny show. When it was done, I took the headphones off and my tinnitus was GONE !!!!!!!!!! For a few hours anyway. This is the first silence I've experienced in decades. It was wonderful - that old familiar stillness. I just smiled and smiled. So I'm going to gather up clips like this, and I'm going to experiment with stereo 'hissy' clips too. I suppose it's like masking AND the 'listening' excercise together. I'm not giving up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try it!!

• Like Like x 3
    2. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wow, great news, keep us posted what happens.

3. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      That's terrific! It could be residual inhibition. As I have mentioned here and elsewhere, I am able to turn off my tinnitus with a shower, which generates high frequency sounds. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it lasts for hours or even the whole day. -G

4. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      That's great news! Somehow it makes me feel hopeful!

5. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Huh, didn't you just find another technique that worked about as well a couple weeks ago? I think you're on a roll.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/a-few-hours-of-silence.2870/

I'm somewhat surprised you'd get such strong and long-lasting residual inhibition from this, and not from say, a shower which hits all frequencies at once.

Residual inhibition, for me, generally lasts seconds. A lot of times when the shower stops it'll be gone for a few seconds and then it'll slowly work itself back into it's usual electrical stream. Before my spike, I'd say there were also plenty of times I couldn't detect my T when changing environments; like after coming home from a noisy Wal-Mart, it'd take several minutes for me to detect it again.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I'll never stop trying.

7. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Thats amazing. I can imagine this alone is hope for others. It can go away, even if only for hours :)