How Advisable Is It to Avoid Noisy Places Like Bars or Sports Venues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FrontRoomFanatic, Nov 11, 2019.

1. FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Just wondered how many of you avoid noisy places? I’m thinking of refraining from going to bars and football games due to my tinnitus. I could wear ear protection but I see there are downsides to this, and I get a lot of wax (and have a problem narrow ear canal) which makes this less appealing.

I’ve noticed a lot of people here have had irreversible spikes from noisy environments such as these. But I’m also aware that many others will not have had this happen (and are not on this forum because they don’t have need to).

Looking for some insight on this issue. Thanks for any input.

2. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I would give your ears as much time to heal as possible before exposing them to noisy venues. You are still early in your onset, and your ears could heal with time if you protect them. I am currently avoiding restaurants and noisy venues, with hopes that I will be able to return to them in the future.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Be safe.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Restaurants too? Was talking about them with someone earlier but felt that restaurants would probably be ok. I can’t remember a time when I was in a noisy one but I have noticed a lot of people saying restaurants on here and I’m thinking maybe I’m being forgetful about how loud they are. Might need to reconsider this.

5. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially during early onset. I'm dealing with a re-aggrevation of my tinnitus that occurred during June as well. To be honest, I am also struggling to decide what is too loud and what isn't. However, I do know that the less noise your ears are exposed to during its healing phase the better. If you want to go to noisier venues, I would go with ear protection and see how you feel.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      That’s too bad, sorry to hear that. Yeah me too, hard to know. Think I’ll just back out of the lunch. Think I might just set a timescale. No bars, restaurants, sports venues or any other very noisy places for 2 years. And see how I feel once those 2 years are up.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I think this is a wise way to go. Slow and easy, with gradually increased exposure as your system indicates is appropriate.

In time, most people (that aren't on this board) are able to resume a normal life. But too much too soon is a bad recipe, regardless of the body part that's injured.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      I generally agree with this, but a couple caveats:

* It's not quite true that "the less noise the better". Your ears do require some noise and too little can be as bad as too much. So do make sure they receive *some* stimulation. But yes, the less *loud* noise the better.

* Re restaurants: I tend to wear light plugs at restaurants, as decibels are almost always 80 dB, with loud restaurants touching 90 dB. 80 dB is about my threshold for putting in plugs these days.

@pinklights98 keeps saying that you're new to tinnitus though. How new? First couple months, definitely take it very easy. Then consider slowly reintroducing yourself. You can check out this thread, which may be helpful:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-hyperacusis-a-rehabilitative-model.35846/

9. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Two years? That's a long time. Not saying it's wrong - you are the best judge of your own condition, and the best judge of what you need. But if you're asking for advice, I'd say stay away from those atmospheres for maybe 3-6 months, and then slowly start reintroducing them back in.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      @MattS When my tinnitus went away the first time, I would go to restaurants and I was fine. I never went to concerts, bars, or clubs though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      What brought the tinnitus back pink?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    13. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      spiked for the first time briefly due to a few minutes of moderately loud music in a car, but this had begun fading before I got blasted with a car alarm that left me with multi-tonal reactive tinnitus, floaters, and hyperacusis. It is also crazy somatic.

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Depends on the restaurant. I go to quieter ones, when less crowded for a lunch, without earplugs, and it has been ok.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do ears actually heal?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since: