How and Why Did You Choose Your Username?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OnceUponaTime, May 5, 2019.

1. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      Well, I'm not too sure.

I often go by Jessie, and one day (before tinnitus, I believe? Although what is time anymore...) I was trying to think of what I would want my internet persona to be if I were to ever have a presence. I thought Jebbis was funny and original. I never thought the first time I'd use it would be on a tinnitus forum, as I actually do not believe in traditional social media, and obliterated all my accounts a year ago... I think it is toxic... but alas, here I am, because this condition (and COVID-19) are so isolating that I felt the need to seek out a community. Thus, I am Jebbis.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. kuromi
      Cheerful

kuromi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/11/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      outer ear infection
      My username is pretty easy to figure out I think - Kuromi is one of the characters from the Hello Kitty franchise.

latest?cb=20170404142717.png

No particular reason for choosing the name, I'm just a fan of the character's design, and my first name starts with a K so it seemed fitting. :D

• Like Like x 1
    3. prowlinacage

prowlinacage Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise exposure
      My username comes from the lyrics of one of my favorite songs by the American jam-rock band Phish. The song is called Reba and the lines containing it are:

“Take a peek at the cheetah, Reba
      Cheetah on the prowl in a cage
      Sink a boulder in the water
      Tie a cable to a tree”

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jebbis
      Dancing

Jebbis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, I suspect stress/smoking/tmj/neck issues
      Lol, this is cute. Reminds me of a show I used to watch about this bunny... Muffy I think? Miffy? Some cute little bunny.

• Like Like x 1
    5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I hate coming up with usernames, and I wanted something that wasn't recognizable to my other online accounts, for privacy... and I was in a panic state, so I just chose something simple and lame that describes a bit about me.

6. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      You need to get on TikTok though. You don't have to post anything, just scroll through other people's videos. It's great. As you like and comment on videos it starts showing you more videos like them. My feed (they call it FYP, for your page) is mainly cat videos now =)

7. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Lurius is a wordplay. My first name (which I dont use very much) is Luis.

But in my native tongue, "lur" can mean someone who is smart, but in a trickster kind of way. Like someone who outsmarts you, tricks you... a bit like the norse god Loki. I also have a character in World of Warcraft who is named Lurius, obviously he's a rogue.

• Like Like x 3
    8. AmePerdue

AmePerdue Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 10, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - Likely ear infection
      It means "lost soul". I registered here after 2 days of no sleep and I sincerely thought about dying to escape tinnitus but I'm afraid of death at the same time. So it felt like my soul's sole purpose was to suffer and so "lost soul" was the first thing that came to my mind.