How Bad (in dB) Is Your Hearing Loss/Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by user5871, Sep 25, 2015.

1. user5871

user5871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Im interested how many dB people have lost in each ear (as measured by an Audiologist) and how loud their tinnitus is.

For me,
      Hearing loss: 20-30dB in both ears
      Tinnitus level: Audible at most levels, but is drowned out of focus with TV or music
      How much it affects me: Still coming to terms with it, upset and sad but not distressed or paniced.

Unrelated question about onset:
      For me, I had normal audiograms for many years and no tinnitus. But these last 9 months my tinnitus started at night and developed into an all day thing. I'm quite surprised how sharply my hearing loss and tinnitus occured, because my lifestyle has hardly changed in the last 7 years. In fact, at the first signs of tinnitus I started reeling in all sources of potential noise exposure, but it kept on getting worse anyway. Is that how gradual hearing loss happens - a delayed onset? Or is it more like a wall with lots of cracks eventually crumbling down.

Anyway, sidetracked. I'm mostly interested in your audiogram dB loss and how loud your tinnitus is. Cheers!

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      20-30 db is not really considered significant hearing loss unless you are an infant.
      Most adults will have a 10-20db dip in their audiograms at certain frequencies.
      30db is right at the edge of mild hearing loss.

My audiogram is pretty much the same as my wife's (10-20db up to 10khz), however I have tinnitus and she doesn't.
      Her grandmother has significant hearing loss but no tinnitus.
      In my opinion, hearing loss may be related with tinnitus in some cases, in most cases there is no connection whatsoever.

Ultra high frequency loss (over 14KHz) may be an explanation (since most audiologists don't test over 8KHz), I believe that the majority of people over 30 will have some mild/moderate hearing loss at those frequencies - however the vast majority will also not be experiencing tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If u are not under 30 years of age, it is normal hearing loss for 30 to 40.

http://www.neuroreille.com/promenade/english/audiometry/e_audiogramme.gif

4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Right ear, 65-70db loss, 2-8K range on standard test, but probably all my high frequency hair cells are wiped out. T, 8 out of 10, right ear only.

Left ear, fairly good, slight hearing loss only.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      1-8khz no more than -10db. Some frequencies are even +2/3. Yet, I'm in hell....

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      80+ % with hearing loss do not have any level of t. so, that is just possibly connection...

7. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      My ENT said that around 70% of Tinnitus cases are related to hearing loss. All I know is that I've T for 18 months.

8. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ENT's are for decades enemies of t cure. While that problem was in their hands until the 2012/2013 it has not been done anything for t. All they know is to say- "It's from hearing loos (even if u do not have) and live with it"

Finally medicine realized that problem has to be resolved in the brain, and that is neurogically issue.

btw. there are 900.000.000 with hearing loss on the world, and about 300.000.000 with t. (just 30% of all hearing loss ppl) and many of those 300 mil. do not have any hearing loss, so conclusion?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My audiologist said that hearing loss is certainly a trigger for developing tinnitus, they only test up to 8 K, so 'hidden' hearing loss is probably in the higher frequencies.

But why some people develop no t, why it goes away for some and not for others and why it is loud for some and mild for others is still a mystery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      They have no other solution (if your hearing is ok 1-8 khz) than to say there has to be damage up to 8khz. And they do not have audiogram that can measure up the 8khz...

So stupid, unscientific, just to get rid of u...

11. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      And why many people go to to a concert and have their ' ringing' disappear within a few days.

12. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My audiogram shows a dive at 8 k with hearing loss of 30 db in the left ear, right ear is slightly better with a hearing loss of 20 Db at the same frequency.

That is mild to moderate hearing loss for my age , sometimes we walk outside and my wife hears the crickets and I hear nothing at all, except for the tinnitus off course.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apologize, i wanted to say over 8khz, not "up to". But to late for editing :)
      Admins can delete that post, as i can't.

14. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
    16. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes that is correct, but with my audiogram the line goes down to 60 Db, but taking in account my age (39) that is an effective hearing loss of 30 Db.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "I’ve asked the Consultant to double check the audiogram you had here on 14/10/2014 and unfortunately you still don’t fulfil the criteria. Your hearing is actually very good and the biggest loss you have is 15dB"

So, I guess my hearing loss is minor.

18. MarkPearson

MarkPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Birth but worse 4-5 years.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      I have never heard quiet. I remember asking my mother what the sound was as a small child. But it has increased in volume and my hearing has declined as it does. My hearing loss fluctuates, at least it seems to me that it does. I don't remember the specific db levels but I know the hearing aids only amplify what I already hear and don't help with what I can't. I also don't recall the db level of my tinnitus. (I quit going to the ENT after realizing they didn't know what to do.) When they measured it, at a major research hospital, the first thing I was asked was, "Do you own guns?) When I replied I did, I was told to sell them. Sorry, if this isn't the input you were seeking, but it's been a long day, and sometimes it just gets to me.