How Can I Counteract the Possible Effects Sensodyne Toothpaste Has Caused for My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shasta0863, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've researched and used all three of these in years past. If you have any questions about them, I'd be happy to fill you in on my experiences. -- Maybe I'll just share a quick story that happened to me just a week ago or so:

I woke up in the middle of the night with very unusual and serious pain on the left side of my neck, shoulder, and arm, going all the way down to my left hand. I immediately wondered if it could be a symptom of some kind of cardiac event, although I've always believed my heart health was good.

I tried to shake it off, do some loosening type actions, etc. But the pain was very persistent, and I knew I would never be able to go back to sleep unless I came up with a better idea. I then decided to get up, and apply a combination of DMSO and Magnesium Oil over the whole area. I then applied my newly minted batch of St. John's Wort Oil.

By the time I got done applying it, the pain was 50% better. By the time I got back to my bed, it was about 90% better. I slept fine, and when I got up in the morning, the pain was totally gone. -- When I ran this by my Osteopath, he said those were all signs of my "thoracic output" being disrupted, or something like that. He did some adjustments, and said it shouldn't be a problem again. But the DMSO & SJW Oil sure did an amazing job for me.

As far as putting SJW oil in the mouth, I would think using it with DMSO might be even more effective. But I wouldn't recommend it if a person has metal of any kind in their mouth.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I had said the same in a post above, but today I asked my tinnitus dentist and he disagrees.

He pointed out patient complaints and all the online complaints which I mentioned above. He said besides swallowing - that swishing too hard or a little choking with mouth open too wide can direct some fluid to the ear. Besides the switch board operator that I mention above, my sister's T - morse code that she could only hear at times became 24/7 with use, but still mild. After she stopped using, her T went back to only hearing it when stressed. She switched off and on this toothpaste several times with always the same results.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Do you just swish around with either SJW or Sesame then spit out, and for about how long?
      Terrifying. I can't believe I've done this to myself. I just really can't deal with this increase. Espsecially if you recall I'm still dealing with that MEM/vibrating condition in right ear.

It's already been a week, definitely concerned this hasn't improved. I wish I had your dentist, I can't believe I wasn't smart enough to realize changing toothpastes with some type of "sensitivity" ingredient might be something to look into first.

Do you just swish around with either SJW or Sesame then spit out, and for about how long?

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @shasta0863 -- I generally do it for about 15 minutes or so--then spit it out. I also brush my teeth and gums thoroughly afterwards, as this "oil pulling" is purported to be able to draw toxins from the bloodstream into the mouth, which should not be swallowed. Some pretty amazing stories on the varied things oil pulling has been purported to heal, including dramatic improvements of various complexion problems.

5. Shawn K

Shawn K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High serotonin
      With regard to potassium nitrate (and/or sodium nitrite) increasing tinnitus, this is certainly possible. The body has two pathways to synthesize nitric oxide. The primary pathway is through nitric oxide synthase (NOS) which relies upon arginine and citrulline. The secondary pathway relies upon dietary intake of nitrates and nitrites. Nitrates increase the body's production of nitric oxide which speeds up the biopterin cycle which generates BH4 which is used by the body in part to synthesize/increase serotonin in the brain which increases the amplitude of tinnitus in many people.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Guest444

Guest444 Guest

Holy crap. I use this exact toothpaste. Time to throw it right into the garbage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Shawn K

Shawn K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High serotonin
      In addition, there are a lot of published scientific articles linking increased levels of nitric oxide with tinnitus! Potassium nitrate is even sold as a supplement by Berkeley Life to increase nitric oxide.

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What about depleted nitric oxide levels then?

Can that contribute to tinnitus?

I suspect it's Babesia causing this...

9. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles.

There is one Sensodyne product which works for me very well, with zero side effects. The rapid repair formula has no potassium nitrate. I have used this daily for years with no problems and no tinnitus spikes.

Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Just saw this. I’ve used Sensodyne ProEnamel for years as I have sensitive teeth. Now I read that it causes tinnitus?

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @shasta0863 -- Did your tinnitus spike from Sensodyne ever subside? I hope so!

12. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I looked everywhere and can't find any reputable information that says Sensodyne toothpaste could cause spikes in tinnitus. Whatever is in it that might have trace amounts of different things would not seem to do anything one way or the other.

I have also never heard of a tinnitus dentist. The only linkage I see is that a dentist's drill can CAUSE tinnitus, which makes perfect sense. For not the first time, I'm glad I have dentures.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thankfully, yes. I also switched to nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste from Boka which doesn't spike my tinnitus as much after brushing like normal Fluoride did, go figure.

Sadly, I let my teeth go during COVID-19. I hadn't been to the dentist in a while and needed some cavities filled. I luckily got laser recently, which was great, but the polishing tool to remove excessive filling that affect the bite when you close, has really did a number on my ears. Tinnitus went up, which is hopefully a temporary spike. Worst of all, my MEM issues has resurfaced stronger than ever because of it. The high RPM hitting the teeth must have radiated enough through bone conduction to agitate, or possibly worse, harm the already compromised middle ear muscle. And I still have 4 more to do... :unsure:

• Hug Hug x 1