How Do Benzos Help Tinnitus? And Are They Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, Apr 24, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I have been taking valium on and off for a while but only half of a 2mg tablet a night.

I am not sure if it is helping to be honest, I want something for anxiety but I don't want to take anti depressants after readingg all of the horror stories.

2. G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      1mg valium is the lowest dose in benzo. No, benzo does not improve your tinnitus but it will calm you down and sedate you. So that, you feel more indifferent. But it's very additive and the withdrawal symptoms can last for weeks, months or years. I highly recommend you to find a different alternative.

3. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      Benzo withdrawal without tapering is known to cause permanent/louder tinnitus and since benzos are meant to be taken short term I would say that they do not help tinnitus even if they might initially lower volume. Benzos have NEVER been approved for treating tinnitus by the FDA and the EMEA. I would explain this to your doctor.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it really depends; for some people, benzos absolutely do actually quiet down the tinnitus. Some people don't get this effect but feel calmer, and some people get nothing out of it.

2mg valium isn't much, but it has a very long halflife, and should be expected to create some amount of dependence and then withdrawal after more than a couple week's use. But, how bad that is, is a genetic crapshoot.

5. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Benzos have many issues such as dependency but there is reputable guidance that they can quiet tinnitus for as many as 75 percent of patients. And if it is going to work, it will do so within minutes or hours - so you will know right away whether or not it will help.

For example see the attached instructions from Harvard Medical School on how to use Clonazepam and Diazepam to reduce tinnitus.

Attached Files: