How Do I Avoid Ending Up Like You Guys?

Discussion in 'Support' started by random001, Apr 21, 2018.

1. random001

random001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hoping it will go away
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      blank
      How do I avoid ending up like you guys? I was at a concert concert the other day and I saw almost no-one wearing earplugs...friends were there and I didn't want to not be able to hear them so I didn't put in earplugs until one of the last songs when ear really started to hurt...

It feels kind of like the ringing may go away...but I don't want it to stay...I always keep earplugs with me and sleep with them..they're even Surefire Ear Pro's with the plastic caps so I could have left the caps open and still heard them well enough and had some protection.. but I didn't.

Tinnitus is a horrible fear to me. It's hard for me to even think without silence a lot of the time. My life would effectively be over and I would probably have horrible depression and fear every day of my life.I don't think I could handle stuff like that. Right now it's pretty mild and I'm hoping it will go away again. I can't hear it in open air outside...I'm hoping that means mild.

How do I take care of myself better?

2. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      Wear over the ear protection the kind shooters wear...start a trend...I don’t know how people can stand the noise in those joints...a friend dragged me into one of these places a while back and I couldn’t go in more than 10 feet without the concussion from the speakers nearly knocked me off my feet...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Well first of all, you should have worn ear plugs! I understand your motivation not to, believe me-I tried to be normal a couple weeks ago by going to the movies without ear plugs and ended up fucking my ears even more-but it's really just not worth it, if you're going to a loud place just wear the ear plugs.

Tinnitus does suck, and for some it can be a severe disability but from what I understand most people with T can still function in their lives and be okay especially once habituation is achieved. Please try and get rid of those negative thoughts because if you do get worse tinnitus and still think of it the way at you do, you will be absolutely miserable. Think things like "I will be okay; it's just a noise; I will not let this noise control my life." Stay positive.

Take care of your ears better from now on, and try not to concentrate on your t as much as possible. If you can barely hear it that's a great sign and will probably fade.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      random001

random001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hoping it will go away
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      blank
      shooting was actually why I got the earpro..I like to double up with passive earmuffs under themwhen I was a kid my parents were completely ignorant of hearing protection and I didnt have it that may be why I think I'm at risk now. What do you think about electronic earmuffs, the kind that amplify low level noise sounds so u can hear people? i don't know what is best to look for for that kind of thing

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Seems like it's fading away already. Just stay away from loud sounds and give your ears a break.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      By using logic. Never make excuses for not protecting your ears. Not hearing your friends vs. hearing ringing for the rest of your life. Temporary vs. permanent. What's really important to you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Avoid ending up like us? Sounds like you are already one of us. But you can avoid getting worse by not wearing earphones and wear earplugs to loud events. (If you cannot speak at a normal volume without being heard then there is a problem)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If the above is true, consider never again attending any loud concerts. For now, you might try avoiding even the moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner.

Also, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    9. Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I want you to listen closely to your surroundings. You may hear creaking, furnace/heating sounds, crickets. Very rarely is anybody truly in silence. T’s not easy, but I live my life better than most people because of it. Just be positive and have fun. It will be hard sometimes. You’ll get used to it eventually. Everybody’s got something man, and nobodies happy about it, but we all just keep on trucking collectively. Every single human.

P.S your life isn’t over. I still see concerts, go to bars, and do almost everything I used to. I just protect my ears. You can continue your life just fine if you get your mental state under control. Be patient with yourself. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Could you elaborate, please?

11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      When I see the title of this post it makes me laugh. I'm sure it wasn't intended to.

Can I say, "Stay in school and stay off drugs" in a humorous way?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I have a pair of Sensear electronic muffs. These things are insanely expensive. They were bought for me or I would have something less expensive.

I still shoot with these and like them quite a lot. I don't shoot the "big guns" anymore, such as 300 Win Mag, 44 mag, etc. I rarely shoot shotguns anymore either, not so much due to the shotgun noise level, but recoil. The recoil, or jarring of your head from recoil, is not good for Tinnitus at all. I do shoot lower power handguns, rarely anything bigger than a 45, but mostly 9mm, 40, or 22. And I only wear the electronic muffs if shooting with others. If I'm by myself I go for all out protection with plugs under good non electronic muffs.

If I didn't have the Sensear muffs I would have a pair of the better name brand ones out there on the market. An online search will find ratings on about all of them. I think about $100 or less can get some good ones. I wouldn't buy the cheap "store brands" that I've seen advertised in years past.

13. Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sure, most people are constantly stressing about little things, I don’t even stress the big things anymore that much. I choose to live in the positive everyday and just keep going. Because of my T and arvc, I know things can change on a dime so I make sure to strive towards all the things I want to do and all the things that make me happy instead of getting bogged down by every little thing like a lot of people around me. Sort of an indirect result to how I chose to cope with my issues.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
      same thing happened to me...

• Like Like x 1