How Do I Listen to Music When Biking, Walking, etc. If Earbuds Are Taboo?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Earing, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I checked my manual and it is the X8, I guess older than the one you have.
      if you notice in the video the guy's shoulder is dropping as the arm unit reaches the end of the stride.

I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get those butterfly handles attached to the units in your video.

Life Fitness X8 Elliptical from At Home Fitness

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Earing

Thanks for the video it helps a lot now I see the problem. The E5 is completely different as the user can place hands in a variety of positions. I place my hands mostly at the top and have no problems with leaning forward or shoulders dropping. I couldn't understand what you were driving at but now I can clearly see the problem. the X8 wouldn't suit me.

This is a shame as these elliptical machines are not cheap.

Hope Lifefitness will be able to workout something for you please let me know how you get on.

All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      After watching my video I think all I need to do is bend the arms towards the user a few inches.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I just watched your video and the arms on yours are parallel to the user at the close end of the stride, and mine are bent quite a bit. I am going to bend those arms. I will have to disassemble the unit, but I can do that. Thanks for showing me that video.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Please know there are many of us who are not affected by the "fear" and "absolute" of not using headphones.

It isn't worth arguing about - you can listen to music.

You can run on treadmills or outside.

You will not turn into a basket case.

6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I found this interesting. I thought musician's ear plugs where safe. Even this article states 'Musician’s earplugs reduce the risk of hearing damage'.

Why would anyone even think to expose themselves?

'Musician’s Earplugs: It is widely known that loud, intense music can wreak havoc on hearing and lead to hearing loss and tinnitus. Filtered earplugs reduce sound levels evenly across the frequency spectrum so that music and speech are clear and natural, not muffled as with non-custom (foam) earplugs. Musician’s earplugs reduce the risk of hearing damage (which may lead to tinnitus and hearing loss) for many noisy occupations and venues. Customized to the individual’s ear anatomy, they can enhance the music experience for audiences while protecting hearing and allow musicians to hear how their own instruments blend with others.'

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I kinda thought that as well. I am in agreement with you. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I know but I will not risk it for now. I think perhaps by sealing off the ear canal with the plug, then porting (beaming) the decibels right at the eardrum could be a problem. At this point I am not going to risk it. I need to reduce or at least maintain my tinnitus at the current state it is at. It seems to be reacting to noise, at a sort of tipping point so I will give it time. Perhaps until the miracle drug that regrows ear cilia proves to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Earing

The user that you have quoted I have on ignore for a variety of reasons. Please note, from what I remember this person does not have "Noise induced tinnitus". The tinnitus was caused by another problem. Therefore, my advice to you is not to follow the advice of someone that knows nothing about Noise induced tinnitus.

You are correct please do not take the risk of using any form of headphones. If your tinnitus spikes using them you will be the one in distress and no-one to help take the noise away.

Take care and wish you the best of luck carrying out modifications on the elliptical. Please let me know how you get on.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Earplugs, Noise reducing earplugs and Musician moulded earplugs, all help to reduce external sound in order to protect someone's hearing. However, what a lot of people do not realise that have tinnitus particularly "noise induced" tinnitus. If external sound is loud enough, it will pass through the head/skull and be transferred to the inner ear by "Bone conduction". This can irritate the cochlea and spike the tinnitus. When this occurs, it's possible that the spike can become permanent increasing the tinnitus to a new level.

Wearing hearing protection is good and is certainly beneficial but it does not mean a person is completely safe, from external sounds if they are loud enough for the reasons I've mention above.

Please read the post below from a member of this forum who is a Audio engineer.

Michael

@Bill Weir

Hi!

I'm an audio engineer and now have T. I hate to have to tell you this but there are no earplugs that can protect you in the typical nightclub environment. The best protection will only lower the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) by about 30 db. Assuming the sound is typical, it's going to hover around 105 db A when measured using long term averaging, slow response on a meter. This means there will be peaks well in excess of 120 db"A" weighted. Weighting the scales of measurement on the sound meter gives more accurate readings. "A" weighting approximates what your eardrum is sensitive to... meaning sound with the deep bass filtered out. "C" weighting includes the bass and is generally 15-30 db higher than an "A" reading.

So, 105 db A (typical nightclub or major concert translates into 130 db "C" or more including the bass. How long do people generally stay in the average nightclub? Too long! 4 hour stay is average. A concert is generally 2.5 hours. Many people will stay in the club all night until they are "OK" to drive and be back in public LMAO. The drugs people do screws up their judgement and desensitizes them to physical sensation and people damage themselves without realizing it.

Sound levels pretty much everywhere are TOO loud IMO. Instead of the industry standard 105 db A (Live Nation SPL cap) I like to keep it at 96-98 for people. Why so loud? Above 96 db the fight or flight response begins to kick in and you get that rush of excitement you get at a concert. It's a lot of what people pay for. Deep bass goes in through bone transconductance. You don't "hear" it with your eardrum you feel it This is how it is possible to have bass with headphones. If this transconductance did not occur, the long wavelengths that make bass would not have enough distance to unfold when using headphones. So, earplugs DO NOT protect you from low frequency damage. Not even a little bit.

So, on the one hand, you're going to have 100db + peaks getting through your earplugs in the range above 100 Hz (low note on a 4 string bass guitar is 41.7 Hz) and the bass below will pressurize your cochlea like nothing is even there, straight through the bone. Some of the subwoofer arrays I have installed in places must have security grating around them to keep people from getting within ten feet of the subwoofer array because the array produces well over 150 db down at 35Hz at 1 meter distance and would make them nauseous or in some extreme cases even worse than that.

I can say this definitively from direct personal and professional experience. If you value your hearing and do not want your tinnitus to increase, avoid these places or if you must go limit your exposure considerably.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Thank you @ Micheal Leigh

I am a believer.

Do you know if having a double 9" window fan on low 10-12 feet from my head on all night will present a risk?

512FjFzWajL.SX500.jpg

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Earing

This shouldn't cause you any problems in fact it should help, as it will supply your auditory system with sound enrichment while you sleep. This can help treat hyperacusis or over sensitivity to sound and treat the tinnitus too. It is recommended that people with tinnitus should avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using sound enrichment. I have written posts and articles on this. Please see the post below.

Sound Machines

I have recently been asked about the benefits of using a sound machine after someone read my post on another thread, please find it below.

Sound Oasis makes the best sound machines in my opinion and they are specifically designed for people with tinnitus although anyone will benefit using one. The quality of their digital sounds will be far superior to any homemade sounds that you compile if your intention is to use them for sound enrichment.

A sound machine can be used night and day but do their magic best when we are in deep sleep. It supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time, the tinnitus is pushed further into the background making it less intrusive and will make the path to habituation easier.

I have three Oasis models. The S-650 is very popular and the one I usually recommend people buy. It comes with a variety of sounds on two sound cards. Additional cards can be purchased. The S-850 travel, is more expensive and compact. It has 18 on-board digital sounds and doesn’t use cards. Some people might be bothered by the clock’s blue backlight at night-time. It dims but cannot be turned completely off; the S650 backlight can be set to switch off automatically.

The S-5000 is larger and more sophisticated than the others and can only be mains operated. It uses a three-speaker system, that has a subwoofer for increased depth and definition to the sound. According to Oasis, over 140 on-board sound combinations are possible. It has FM/AM radio and an external sound source can be selected via the auxiliary input. There are a host of other features.

The purpose of using a sound machine is to have it playing in the background without drawing attention to itself unlike a radio. For this reason, music mustn’t be used at night for sound enrichment, as it will draw the Brain’s attention and delay habituation. Sound enrichment should not mask or cover up the tinnitus so it cannot be heard. Always try to keep it slightly lower than the tinnitus.

Michael

PS: Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to their tinnitus and stopped using sound enrichment at night, only to find their tinnitus becoming intrusive again after a period of time. The rule of thumb: avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using a sound machine or something similar for sound enrichment.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Does having your ears always hearing sounds not wear them out?

14. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Why would you even want to? Wouldnt you rather be able to hear traffic and other important things when walking and, especially, biking?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good question and the answer is no. Sound enrichment takes time to get used to and must be used correctly. When it used correctly most of the time a person is unaware "sound enrichment" is playing in the background as the brain habituates to it. If you are constantly aware sound enrichment is playing then the volume is set too high or you haven't had sufficient time to get used to it. I have been using sound enrichment for over 20 years.

I have habituated to my tinnitus so well that I can be in a quiet room as I am now using my computer and there is complete silence. My sound machine is close to me but I haven't switched it on. Although I can hear my tinnitus I'm not in the least bothered by it as it is mild. When a person has fully habituated to their tinnitus they can pretty much do whatever they want regarding sound enrichment. Saying that, I always use my sound machine at night.

Michael

PS: you might find my post: The habituation process helpful, please click on the link: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try sleeping with and without masking/AC noise and see whether you notice a difference in how you feel the following day. Do this for a month or more. If you notice that you feel different, then choose accordingly. If you don't notice anything, then choose what makes you happier/what is more convenient.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I sure understand @Earing.

18. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Listen to Michael.

Leave the headphones at home and enjoy the pink noise of nature :)

• Like Like x 1