How Do I Make My TV's Sound System Suitable for My Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Red, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Not sure if this is the right forum or not but I am looking for ways to improve my home TV speakers...even if it means buying new ones.

We got a 4k TV last year with a separate speaker system. I have noticed after getting tinnitus that it is harder to watch TV. There are too many unexpected loud noises.

That may just be the nature of having tinnitus and hyperacusis but I have noticed that using the bedroom TV is much easier on the ears.

Our living room TV is too quiet when people are talking and waaay too loud when things get crazier. Turning off our speaker system and using regular 4k TV's speakers doesn't improve it at all. I always have the TV remote right next to my hand so I can quickly mute but after last night, where I couldn't grab the remote in time to mute an unexpected loud noise, I realize that SOMETHING has to change.

Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust my TV situation? Or suggest some tinnitus & hyperacusis friendly speaker systems? Switching TVs or buying a new one is not an option, though.

2. John G

John G Member

What kind of receiver are you using to run the speakers? I think some receivers have a mode that controls the unexpected loud sounds. The mode may be called dynamic sound/ night mode etc...

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you find a good solution to this, let me know. Because we tend to only watch TV when our kid is asleep, we never have volumes at a level that would worry me from a hearing loss perspective... but even so, we constantly have to turn the volume up and down, because one scene will be too quiet for us to hear, and then the next scene will be a gunfight and we'll be worried about waking kiddo up.

I would love it if someone sold a box that I could run an optical audio cable through, which would normalize the output such that it was always between X and Y, boosting it when it's too quiet, and silencing it when it's too loud. I realize this is exactly the opposite of what modern content producers seem to want me to experience, but that maddens me.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    5. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Most receivers have a night mode or loudness button. Or you could play with the bass and bring it down.

6. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

My Apple TV has the option to reduce loud sounds.

Your Tv probably has it too.