How Is LDL (Loudness Discomfort Level) Measured?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ozgeA, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi guys!!

Recently I have been wondering how is the LDL test measured?

Does it measure uncomfortable level or unbearable level?

Any replies appreciated :)

P.S.
      At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.
      Frida Kahlo

• Like Like x 1
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It's more like uncomfortable level. The LDL test is quite simple: the test consists of beeps at intervals that increase in volume, and you push a button once you hear a sound that is uncomfortable. Typically you will hear a lot of distortion and a great increase of the volume of sound when you reach your LDL, the uncomfortable level for a certain frequency.

3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      If you have H and/or TTTS, don’t do LDL testing. I know this from experience.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      The LDL test is very subjective and should be undertaken with caution by an experienced audiologist. Essentially, you listen to the beeps slowly increasing in volume and press the button when they start to become uncomfortably loud (note the emphasis on the word start)

And yes, it should not be performed on people with tinnitus, hyperacusis or known anxiety

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      This test can be very damaging to people who have hearing damage, tinnitus and hyperacusis... I'm speaking from personal experience. A lot of audiologists are unaware of the further damage this test can cause.

6. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I was supposed to get my LDLs retested later this week. I have tinnitus and hyperacusis but no hearing loss. Now, after reading comments on this thread I don’t know if I should do it. Please tell me the basis for not submitting to rechecking my LDLs. Thank you.

7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      This is a very subjective, and not really that useful, test. When I got mine tested a long time ago, my audiologist told me to let him know when sounds become very uncomfortable. I think much of the results depend on whether your instructor leans sensitive or conservative. If they tell you to point out when sounds annoy you, that's going to give a completely different LDL than when you point out when sounds literally make you fall over crying.

Another issue here is that what really matters with LDL is distribution, not one single number.

For example, person A may find 60 dB utterly unbearable, but are not okay at all with 20-50. Person B may have an LDL of 50, but 30 is not so bad.

• Like Like x 1