How Likely Is a Permanent Spike After Running?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      I wanted to shape up my health after this whole Tinnitus and bad anxiety experience. It really had turn my life upside down. Now I'm trying to turn it around again. I was reading some posts about running and bone conduction. Some people said it's happened to them and others say not so much. I just want to know if there is a possibility that running or any high impact activity could permanently spike my Tinnitus.

My T has gone down significantly. I can no longer hear it unless I put my head up to my pillow. My hyperacusis is nearly gone too. Yay! However I'm still in my first year. Only 1 month and a half or so has passed since I had my acoustic trauma. I've been doing everything possible to not cause a spike.

I don't want to live in fear of a spike my whole life. I no longer react to my T with paranoia and anxiety anymore. Even when it was loud and spiked louder.

I'll wear earplugs to movies to loud restaurants and concerts. Im completely fine with that. (I actually kinda enjoy it so I don't have to hear all the loud music and crying children). However, I feel there comes a time when I need to just live my life. I want to become active again. I don't want something like Tinnitus to keep me from living life to the fullest.

I'll take all the precautions, but I just want to do something as simple as running and weight training again.

I had to leave weight training last time because of my hypercasusis. :c

• Like Like x 1
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      From what I recall, the study that some members cite linking running and other high impact aerobic exercise to hearing loss is very, very flawed. Getting temporary spikes after exercise is common but normal. I used to experience this when I first got tinnitus but don't anymore.

I've been running regularly all throughout my tinnitus (and even when I had severe hyperacusis) and have never experienced any damage or permanent spike in symptoms from it. I run 15-30km per week, and also mix in weight lifting and HIIT/circuit exercises 3 to 5 times a week. I've run all sorts of terrain: from flat roads and stairs, through to high elevation trail runs. I've completed a few half marathons, trail runs and then a few of those obstacle courses like tough mudder since getting tinnitus in 2012. I'm also not a lightweight runner, so if anyone was going to experience bone conduction damage from running, I would make a prime candidate. But it's never triggered anything to get worse, even when I had severe hyperacusis.

I think exercise was a crucial part of my recovery from hyperacusis and helping me deal with my tinnitus. So I basically encourage anyone I can on this forum to take part in some form of regular rigorous exercise. The benefits are amazing, especially when it comes to dealing with stress, anxiety and depression. Also it's insanely good for your brain and general physical well being.

Running is probably my favourite exercise to engage in. It's also the hardest, but there's something about running long distance that really helps to clear my mind. It's hard to explain but it's an insanely awesome feeling.

There's also a bunch of different ways to get your workout in if you don't feel particularly comfortable with one modality. For example if you can't lift weights because of hyperacusis, look into something like bodyweight exercises.

Some resources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/
      https://www.reddit.com/r/running/
      https://www.reddit.com/r/kettlebells/
      https://www.reddit.com/r/HIIT/

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      It is extremely unlikely that you'll cause further damage by exercising. Of course, be careful! You may experience a spike (at least I do). I notice that my tinnitus flares up if I don't support my neck properly while doing sit ups/ press ups.
      Let us know how it goes!
      Richie

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are doing just fine @Taylorslay although I would advise caution when running especially on hard ground or on a treadmill. Some people (but not all) with "noise induced" tinnitus are affected by running on hard ground and treadmill. Quite a few people have contacted me to say they've noticed their tinnitus increase during running and it wont return to baseline. It is believed this is caused by impact underfoot during running which travels up the legs, body and to the head and auditory system. By all means monitor this and if you notice an increase in the tinnitus, it might be best not to run for a while.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Anxiety will increase your T more than running.

Go and have some activity, run, have fun.

As I can see in your picture, you are new to this, from September this year. Well, the place you are now, the over protecting, and super anxiety, is NORMAL. Just keep in mind that, sooner than later... I hope sooner, You will have to have the will to habituate.

Most of the people do, I think you will. Just, while you get there, try to live your life as normal as you can. That is one of the pillars of habituation.

The best for you,

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

The last month or so have been a roller coaster. But I have learned to not react to my T even when it spikes. It has reduced quite a lot so far. So I'm hoping on a full recovery. However, at this point my H and T are so low that they are not bothersome in anyway anymore. I don't want to risk a spike again though.

:) Its all good. I'm all good.

Much thanks <3

Taylor.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I like the way you're talking and you have the right attitude @Taylorslay Just put yourself in cruise and in a short space of time you're be sailing off into the sunset leaving Tinnitustalk far behind. Just don't forget to write us a card when you're out there basking in the sunshine.....:)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I don't want to leave Tinnitustalk completely just because I'm doing better. I find the lack of awareness of the dangers of loud noise exposure concerning. Especially for many people my age that listened to loud music, go to loud clubs and concerts. I could probably say that 95% of my friends and peers don't know of the dangers of loud noise exposure. That in itself makes me very angry. There doesn't seem to be any warnings about it. I use to think that my ears weren't so fragile. Until everything went downhill.

I wish I had the platform to bring awareness to T and H and all of the other problems associated with it.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wasn't being serious @Taylorslay I was having a joke because you are doing so well. I'm pleased for you. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Same here! It is so frustrating that my son and his friends are aware of the misery I have lived with all these years, yet continue to listen to dangerously loud music.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I think they just believe it wont effect them. My father has hearing loss and no T (lucky) from playing in a band when he was a young adult. He thought I was crazy when I said I had chronic T and I had hypersensitivity.

12. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    14. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The linked article is poorly written, overlooks much of the actual study, and draws comparisons between high impact aerobics and sports that are nothing like it.

Volleyball? Why not a comparison between jumping rope and high impact aerobics? Or headbanging? Out of those three activities, volleyball involves considerably less jarring of the head.

The actual study examined vertigo and hearing loss in aerobic instructors. It indicated vertigo was possible from the repetive jarring motions, but hearing damage was from the loud music played during the aerobic workout. An aerobic instructor is exposed to both far more than their class participants. The study even found that aerobic enthusiasts faired better than instructors.

Loud noise exposure is repeatedly mentioned in the study. It seems that should not be overlooked as part of the hearing damage cause.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7934012/

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I would just like to point out, that the ear (like the eye) is an EXTREMELY oxygen hungry organ. If you place a glass pipette over the primary vascular supply to the mouse ear, it is irreversibly deaf in seconds. Carol Foster proposes age related vascular disorders as the cause of menieres attacks (you get old and the blood cannot pump into the ear tissue well and the ear rots away over time). People who run (chronic runners) are well known to have better overall hearing throughout their later life. If you do not participate in activities that assist good circulation you are putting your health at risk.

• Informative Informative x 3