How Long Can a Spike Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hayden Gooddy, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for a year and up until a few weeks ago it really didn’t change outside of its natural ups and downs in volume.

A few weeks ago I got all kinds of new tones but the past couple days my tinnitus has seemed SO much louder than usual. Can spikes last awhile?

2. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      They can do but the new tones doesn't sound good after a year. I dont mean to be pessimistic ive read about people with T 10 years and had periods of increased volume for 6 months. Iv also read about people with T for 4 years and each year it just gets progressively worse. Its impossible to predict this shit, just stay away from noise so you have nothing to regret is all i can advise.

3. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      I think I have read posts from users in this forum that had spikes for months.
      My usual spikes last a couple of days but who knows

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Did something happen a couple of weeks or days ago that could have made it worse?

I don’t want to say that going to places where for example loud music is being played will inevitably make tinnitus worse but I do believe they pose a potential risk even with hearing protection.

I’ve read everything from a spike lasting a couple of days to a couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Spikes can last from a day to a couple of months , tinnitus is so evasive that it is hard to tell . In the vast majority of cases they are temporary though . Spikes just come with the package i'm afraid.

To get some peace of mind you can visit an ENT and have your hearing checked.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hayden Gooddy

Hayden Gooddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t know, possibly, sometimes I just spike for unknown reasons. I was just wondering how long peoples spikes last.

And yea there are risks, but there are risks to using a microwave lol. I always advise people get on with their life with a little more caution. Too many negative people on here living in a box. I’d rather go deaf than sit at home all day worrying about noise in a world that is too loud.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/20/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, headache, and loud earphones
      I suggest to strongly reduce drug use. Any of them. Caffeine, alcohol, adderol, etc. Peel and wash produce to keep away from chemical pesticides. All of these have an inclination to raise T. Time, vegetables, and exercise will help you heal out of bad T. Stay busy. Like 'Hayden Gooddy' said, don't live in a box. The world and its noises are your friends. Just visit one when you need it.