How Long Do Spikes Usually Last?

Discussion in 'Support' started by rubyroseware, Oct 16, 2015.

1. rubyroseware
      Alienated

rubyroseware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Been having one since Sunday morning, it is now Friday afternoon and I have been bedridden all week because of it.
      Been to the doctors twice, no actual reason for it apart from a virus.
      ???

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A virus can Linger in your system for up to 4 weeks and ears even longer.
      lots of rest and hot drinks and things for a cold and keep warm.
      I also have one and feel totally washed out and ears having a rave and asthma bad too...... resting on the sofa....lots of love glynis xxx

• Like Like x 1
    3. Cristian Ro

Cristian Ro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have the same question: How long a spike can last?
      Same like ruby, my spike started a week ago. From a "regular" tinnitus (wich I have it since 2009), last week become CRAZY, in some nights I cannot sleep. :(
      Is this a "regular" spike or I really have to adapt forever to the new sound? (very high pitched)

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well my current spike has been going on for about a month and a half now. I think it's since I got sick and really congested so I have fluid in my ears. But spikes can last anywhere from a few days to a few months so there's no way to really know how long yours will be. But if you've been sick like you said then just get some rest and your spike should start to get better. Just try not to worry about the volume and longevity of the spike because that can make it worse. Hope you feel better!

5. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Suffering a spike myself at the moment. First one in 18 months or so :(. It's getting me down, I won't lie. I think it's caused my a massive sinus infection I seem to have, I've suffered from these before. I'm hoping it's peaked as the noise is slightly lower than it was, but it's still much higher than normal :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      When did your spike start? Since your sick I'm sure that's the cause of it. Seems to be what's caused my current spike. If you're congested at all then that usually makes it worse and can cause fluid to get stuck in your ear and make your tinnitus worse.

7. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Not entirely sure. It was some time around the New Year. The only loud place I went was the pub before Christmas, and it wasn't even that loud, and I was fine the days afterward. It's probably been a fortnight. My ears do feel very full, and the pop and almost like gurgle occasionally too. I think you're right about fluid.

8. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I'm also experiencing a spike. It's been very manageable while sleeping the past month, only a slight hiss in my left ear while sleeping and the usual high pitched CRT TV in my right.
      Since Saturday or Sunday last week my left ear developed a new tone, I guess, and tonight is the first night I woke up unable to sleep. 2 in the morning right now and I'm trying some neuromodulation at 1890 Hz. Never had a tone that low before.

9. Dan H

Dan H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      I'm not sure if I'm going through a spike or something else. For just over a week I've had a rather low frequency tone that only accompanies other sounds such as fridge noise, car engines etc. Even sounds that are very low in volume but constant can produce this unpleasant tone alongside it, for example water running in the pipes or even the electrical buzz from the TV. It also affects music, when certain tones are played, and when people speak in certain tones. But the sound does not seem to be coming from in my ears or head, it actually sounds like it is coming from the source of the sound that it accompanies. It's weird, and it has made me not notice my other constant high pitched tone as much.

10. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Good morning. Or is it...
      Now that I'm up and about the volume of T seems to have decreased and that tone in my left ear is gone.. Ugh.. Idiotic tinnitus.. How a body can do this to itself instead of shutting off this phantom bullshit, I'll never understand.
      Loud at night when you're trying to sleep, sometimes almost silent during the day (or at least don't hear it when I'm busy doing things).