How Many Different Tinnitus Sounds Do You Hear On Average in Silence?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zam, Nov 18, 2014.

How many different tinnitus sounds do you hear on average in silence?

1. 1

8 vote(s)
  2. 2

14 vote(s)
  3. 3

17 vote(s)
  4. 4

7 vote(s)
  5. 5

4 vote(s)
  6. 6

3 vote(s)
  7. 7 or more

3 vote(s)
tinnitus forum
    1. Zam

Zam Member Team Tech

I'm curious to know. I'm new here so I don't know if this poll was made before, but I think it's specific enough to be different.
    2. Zam

Zam Member Team Tech

I'm probably around 6 personally. It's hard to tell, but I think sometimes it's 5 and sometimes it's 7. Some of them blend in really well together and almost sound like one.
    3. john livingston

john livingston Member

Pinehurst NC
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      football contact
      For my first 35 years it was just 1 loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEE. For the last 6 years new noises have popped up with ever changing frequencies. These days I never know what I'm going to hear next. One thing you learn from all the years of changing sounds is to stay calm, as soon as you get used to your new sound another one will be right behind it with nerve racking hell to pay! I hate sounding so negative but if I sugar coat S..T it still smells. It would be great to just wake up and not let it bother you all day! But I have not been lucky enough to have a day like that in a lot of years.
    4. Zam

Zam Member Team Tech

Do you hear them all simultaneously?

I believe I've heard about a dozen different sounds over the years, but I only ever get about 5 to 9 at any one time simultaneously (at least that I can identify)
    5. kenny

kenny Member

london uk
      Tinnitus Since:
      Mines very high pitched, like a dogs whistle, sometimes get a drumming sound
      Got a cold virus at the moment so it's higher than normal
      I do get a fair bit of quite time which I relish, never in the mornings though
      Would love to wake up to some quite time
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      I mainly had one horrible drone sound for 3 years, but since few weeks ago 2 more buggers decided to join the orchestra.
      I guess drone was too lonely:(
      • Hug Hug x 2
    7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

New York
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      My most annoying sound is the one that reacts and beeps to other sounds.
    8. Zam

Zam Member Team Tech

Yeah I get that pretty often, soulstation. Mine sounds like wind, it just gets louder with sounds; even with small sounds it just flares up it's really annoying. It only started showing up after my second hearing loss though so that's relatively recent.
    9. S.withnell

S.withnell Member

Lancashire England
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've got about three I have a high pitch ring in left ear and slight in the right, and a hissing noise badly in the right and a low tone in both
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Kopesy

Kopesy Member Benefactor

England, United Kingdom
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have 3 myself. First one I got was in my right ear, your 'standard' sounding T. Then came the static tv noise that's actually now the more noticeable, the sound comes from my head & both ears. The third is this really really annoying whinning noise that i seem to hear more around other noises that makes a sort of whistling noise, it's really quiet in silence though, have to cover my ear (it's also in my right) to hear it. Still all these sounds are nothing compared to the second noise I had about a month into my T, it was a constant washing machine on a spin cycle noise, that's probably the best way to describe it, thought my head was going to explode, the closest I've ever come to utter despair.
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I have that spin cycle sound all the time, part of my T sounds exactly like that except for the fact that my T is more high pitched than the machine. When my machine in the house goes into spin I have to go outside, even with plugs in it is bad. The two spin cycles-one in my head, the other the washing machine sends me running. Before T I always thought my washing machine on spin sounded like a airplane taking off, now it just reminds me of my T.
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. RaZaH

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Reykjavík, Iceland
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have had all kinds of sounds since this started , at this point most of the tones are gone and I am left with this "shimmer" "Lazer" through the brain kinda thing. Almost like someone hit a cymbal right next to my ear and just after the initial attack portion of he sound it is frozen in time . Very , very physical bzzzzzzz thingy rather then an actual sound. For me, this is the worst of any of the sounds I have experienced.
    13. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have mostly two sounds that change: the hiss sound and then it changes to a buzz almost like an insect or bee - and that gets notably louder than the hiss ever does. It seems day to day it changes to one or the other.
    14. cowdodge

cowdodge Member

Seattle, Washington
      Tinnitus Since:
      Mine sounds just like a jet engine at ideal not that loud thank heaven. But I did have an experience a few months ago as I was trying out a med for depression and it took five days for that stuff to kick in and my T's hit the ceiling! Boy did I think I had number to my self. I'm not to bothered by the noise at present but I have cut back my tw viewing. Anyway it's good to hear about other people's noises as some times you think your the only one with our problem.