How Much Does Your Tinnitus Vary on a Day to Day Basis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by canyonero, Jan 25, 2015.

1. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      Mine goes from about a 2/10 to an 8/10. It much worse when I haven't gotten much sleep for seveal days straight, and nowhere near as bad when I get over 8.5hrs of sleep. Was wondering if anyone is constantly at a 5/10?

2. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      yes when I get 6 to 8 hrs sleep it seems to stay in the 2 to 3 range and like today after no sleep last night it is 6 to 9 .I have a slight tooth ache so no sleep last night plus stress and bingo more T today.My T changes all the time when it is bad but on a good day it stays down at about a 2 constant.Even at night after a good day it can stay down and even when I wake it can still be down but when it decides to get loud it just does its thing and there is nothing I can do.But lack of sleep does always make it worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Loud every day, never changes at all. I can be fairly relaxed and well rested to not sleeping for days, all the same, every day no matter what I do.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Sounds exacly like mine. The only fluctuation is up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Mine fluctuates from day to day and I can see no reason. I can have a good night's sleep and have loud T or just the opposite. And I've had days with low T even after little sleep. Wish I could figure it out, but at least I've gotten to the point where even the loud T doesn't bother me that much anymore.

6. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Interesting that sleep is the reset button for T for most of us. I haven't come across any explanation about how sleep is related to T. Any thoughts? Ideas ?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Mine has been going down mote or less steady to a 1/10 (started at about a 6/10-7/10). The weird thing is that when I measure it with a set of headphones the absolute loudness seems almost the same (and constant over time). Although my ability to hear it over other sounds seems to fluctuate massively.

8. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      I am stering to believe it don't have a pattern it is different in everybody and varies to from day to day with some people IT IS EVIL.

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      If I have a coughing spell, or snore, or yell, it gets louder.

10. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Once you habituate you don't notice it until you are in a quiet environment. At that point you are so unaffected by it that you just dismiss it for what it is, a noise. In these times I simply put on a bit of background sound, like beach noise and it no longer becomes a focus on my attention. But then once you habituate the hold T has on you is so minor that as long as your mind is busy you can distract yourself from it even when it's quiet.

I've had a relapse since October that undone the habituation. Can't explain why, but I suspect it was the mental shock to an aural event that upset my nervous/limbic system. Hoping to head back to habituation again soon. My T does not feel any more intrusive than it was the first time this happened six years ago. However it does spike during the day, unclear as to why, and whilst this happened to a degree last time, I am hoping this too will settle down soon.

Night time is quiet. Assuming you aren't playing any background noise your ears have nothing to react to. So it goes to baseline. My theory, not necessarily supported by science. :)

• Like Like x 1
    11. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/22/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There are days when I don't hear it at all, and those are becoming more frequent. But, there can be something that suddenly sets it off, and I'll spike. It might last for a day, or a couple of days. The last really bothersome spike was on New Year's Day.

12. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      My T changes daily, tones, pitch, buzz everything and the volume changes to. But it's the volume that's hard to deal with. Don't matter if I sleep good, bad it still changes daily. I find though the more relaxed and comfortable and content I am it's much easier to deal with.