How Old Were You When Your Tinnitus Started?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma, Feb 10, 2013.

?

How Old Were You When Your Tinnitus Started?

1. 0-12

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. 13-18

37 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. 19-29

117 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. 30-39

52 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. 40-49

36 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. 50-59

21 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. 60-69

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 70-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    1. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did a search and didn't find this, so I was wondering how old you were whe you developed tinnitus? I was 32. I was always careful with my hearing. I never listened to music too loud, used ear protection when I knew I would be around loud sounds. Still, I got tinnitus at the age of 32.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing

I never imagined ear syringing could cause tinnitus. Aah, three years soon with tinnitus and I'm proven wrong.

I never listened to music at loud volumes either, at gigs and concerts wore very good ear protection and I haven't been exposed to ototoxic meds, so. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Around 40 or so. I think I remember having it in my 30s though, but nowhere near as intrusive.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I was 23 when it started. I remember the date - 21st of july 2012. I remember having temporary tinnitus on few occasions:

- friend's 18th birthday, my first night out in a loud club, my ears were ringing like crazy afterwards... thankfully it was gone the next morning.
      - first band practice, I learned the power of a drumkit firsthand. Again, coming back home I wondered what part of my car was whistling so loud...

Ironically, after that second event I learned what tinnitus is, really started taking good care of my ears and always wore earplugs during festivals, parties etc. I was fine for next few years, and then one day I got permanent T for no apparent reason.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was 43. It just came out of the blue. No rhyme no reason. I just woke up in the middle of the night and bam! that was it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Iwas 49, it was last year when I watched a live band in a small local pub.
      Suppose I shouldnt have been strutting my stuff there at my age :(

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Every now and then I've seen people say their tinnitus started out of the blue, after no apparent reason at all.

Like a short circuit and tada it starts.

If only we could have a dialogue with our brain and ask why.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Wish it could end as suddenly. Though I think it does for some people doesnt it? (I know Jastreboff would say not but Kevin Hogan says it happens in 25% of cases! Please let Hogan be right).

Love the new title Markku. I'm so ashamed my message count is nearly as high as yours! Could you drop a few hundred off? :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Mine first started at age 38. I remember when it happened; it was noise-induced. I was sitting too near the speaker at a small music club, mainly because there were no other seats available. After that, the ringing started, along with some pain. However, I habituated to the tinnitus after awhile, and it was not bothering me --- until 2010,when I took a blood pressure drug. That started my current round of ringing, hissing, and pulsating tinnitus. I'm still looking for a cure --- or habituation!

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I was 60. The big "6 Oh". "T" time. Hair loss, of the cochlear hair variety.

Today I took my next "giant leap for mankind": I called my audiologist and made an appointment to try hearing aids. 45 day return policy. My hearing is good, except at the tinnitus frequency. I hope this will be my last experiment.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yeah for some reason I'm not fully trusting the Kevin Hogan character.

His claims are a bit absurd, without any scientific backing...

From his site (http://www.kevinhogan.com/FAQ.htm):
      "Silence for you? Maybe. Perhaps half of my long term clients reported tinnitus remission over time. Usually a great deal of work, time and effort, goes into remission. (Medical doctor invested in the patient, a therapist invested with the patient... etc.)
      100% noise elimination/remission is certain for some people. As time goes on and strategies/therapy is more refined, the percentage of clients reporting silence at similar time intervals in the past is growing."

HALF! Remission?! I suppose that means unable to hear it all? I don't believe that for a second!

More about Kevin Hogan can be read here (you probably already have, and I've posted there too): https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/kevin-hogan-recovered-after-2-5-years.555/

Yet it's true that some have reported their tinnitus stopping completely. Like STOPPING, not just habituation. We all know that that usually is the "disco tinnitus" or similar, tinnitus that lasts a maximum of a couple of days... maybe weeks. But I'm not talking about these cases! Over the couple of years I've read on the web of people who had had chronic tinnitus for at least over a year, even years and then it disappeared. Poof! Gone.

It's impossible to really know how often that happens. I'd imagine no statistics are kept on people who report their tinnitus gone away. And how many reports that to their GP? I'd guess not so many. It probably isn't an emergency to get in touch with the doctor if your tinnitus goes :ROFL:

And I'd estimate not many come to the forums telling about their newfound silence... it's the same thing as with shop feedback: one is more likely to post a negative experience than a positive.

In summary: it's not unheard of for brain to find that off switch however much time has passed, yet we don't have a clue as to the amount of tinnitus sufferers being that lucky (or WHY that happens for some?!). And thus of course it could be argued that my suspicion about Kevin Hogan's statistics isn't valid. Well, I'd still care to challenge his 50% remission rate, as there are quite a few out there who've bought Kevin's plan and reported zero success.

:D I wouldn't worry about the amount of your posts. :p
      Honestly, it's commendable how you've managed to write such well rounded and thought out posts, all the while being extremely stressed out by the tormenting noise. While it sucks you or any of us have to be here, I couldn't wish for better company.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      27 just felt my ears full one day and then the ringing started.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      I was 44 when it started out as a faint sound in my right ear. It's gotten much worse since then. I'm 57 now and I applied for disability retirement when I was 49 because of my tinnitus and to my surprise it was approved.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

Yep 50% is way high! I read where he'd said 25%, which is still high.

I've just remembered something I read that DD posted - it was a powerpoint presentation from an NHS Hearing Therapist in the South of England, in the summary on T she said the following, (amongst other things), "spontaneous disappearance is possible”!!!

Can you imagine?

I actually tracked her down and called her! I spoke to her about a few things put did ask about this statement and she said that yes it is possible.

As for my posts, I havent been able to concentrate properly when writing them this last couple of months but glad they are still sounding coherent at least :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey Karl, thats good news! They might just do it for ya, fingers crossed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i remember having quiet tinnitus when i was 18, but it became intrusive (as well as hyperacusis and other ear symptoms) last year at age 23.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Tom Barry

Tom Barry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      constant since april 2012
      I had occasional short bouts for two or three years that lasted only a matter of hours then at 62 one evening watching TV it started and hasn't stopped. Been steady for nine months. I have habituated for a few months now but it is still bothersome especially at bedtime.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Apart from 3 weeks of silence at night, mine began 'out of the blue' - at 4am, 10 months ago - age 57.

It really can Louise - and it has for dozens of people. I just wish they'd come back in here and say so. I expect they want to foget the whole thing - who can blame them!

I've spoken to many who know people who had it as badly & as loudly as anyone... and it has gone away - completely. And my ENT said it would go (and they're brutally honest these days - they believe in telling it 'as it is').

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. robyn

robyn Guest

All my memorable life I have had ringing in my ears, for the first 8 yrs that was all I had. After surgery I had hearing and tinitus then at the age of 50 it became pulsating tinitus I just want to know at what age it will stop..

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thats comforting Jane. I'd rather have that hope whilst trying to habituate. I dont think they are mutually exclusive? "spontaneous disappearance is possible”!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Definitely helps - the power of positive though eh? (a placebo that nobody has to swallow :) ) cos negativity is just going to make us feel worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Good luck with hearing aids Karl - really hope that they make a difference for you. Let us know!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had mild tinnitus since I was 24, now when I am 33 it became much worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Marty

Marty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      TODAY is EXACTLY one year since I got my tinnitus. I was 17 at the time and am now 18.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      age 54 it started (20 mos ago) - i had never heard of tinnitus until i was told that the awful noises i was hearing in my head actually had a name.;) my T was sound trauma induced - too close to a stage at a loud concert. unless a "cure" somehow appears, my days of loud music, motorcycles and other loud things are over.

it's my opinion that the best road to an effective treatment for T will come through the expanded research intitiatives of Dr Jeanmonod and his colleagues in Switzerland and Germany - he has prepared the most thorough scientific neurological analysis of the origins of tinnitus to date and it's my belief that he is correctly directing his treatment protocol through the use of MRI focused ultrasound. i know for fact that the inSightec exAblate Neuro system has recently treated and cured 6 out of 6 patients of severe Parkinsons disease, in their early stage clinical trials at Sunnybrook hospital in Canada - which in of itself is revolutionary. and Parkinsons disease is a dysfunctional neurological disorder (as is tinnitus) that exists deep in the brain that has been mapped, precisely targeted and ablated with this device. there are 6 clinics globally that now have the inSightec Neuro 4000 and the physicians within each are turning their attention to other neurological disorders like epilepsy, neuropathic pain and brain tremors to test it's efficacy. tinnitus is also on the horizon for clinical trials and hopefully government approvals for such will soon come.

i think it should give us all cause for hope.

BD

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks for the info BD. Didnt I read about this somewhere on that HIFU thread that they actually have already treated T patients by ablating parts of the thalamus? Am I mistaken and that this is jsut what they may be planning to do?

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. bulldog

bulldog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2011
      Louise,

yes, i did read of anecdotal treatments of T with HIFU by Dr Jeanomond - the reported succcess rate on about 30 patients was quite high - for some, there was an initial complete ablation as well as for others a gradual ablation over a 4 month period. However i will caution you on this info - the details of the treatment protocol nor the background of the patients was not fully disclosed so there are more questions than answers on this at this time. we all know how test results can often be distorted, incomplete and/or misinterpreted. i am endeavoring to speak with Dr Jeanomond by telephone in the near future, although i have spoken with a research assistant at the Zurich Childrens Hospital who confirmed that the results of alternate neurological disfunction clinical trials have been very encouraging thus far and epilepsy is now being tested for treatment (with HIFU).

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks BD. So the op has been performed on 30 T patients already. It would be really good to get the full details on this. It proves they have a technique obviously. I wonder what they are intending to do now, are they carrying on with it as is, are they trying to change the technique, what are they up to? How long before roll out!

Daedalus also said he was going to talk to Pr Jeanomond.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. stantheman

stantheman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/25/11
      I had retired a year before, then on 10/25/11, Black Friday, day after Thanksgiving BAM! like someone turned on a switch - I woke up on that morning with a high frequency squeal - "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" which may morph to swishing or crickets and an ocassional low "whump - whump - whump! Age - 70. At this age many possible causes - could be the natural aging process - could have been accumulative over the years as I attended many concerts - loud bars and my recent hobby of target shooting with large caliber weapons which I no longer do. Or, it could be a combination of all and some others causes I have not even thought of. Makes no difference. I have it. Trying to cope and hopefully habituate with Neurom0nics.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      I was only 11, youngest here thus far by a mile. How did you all stay away from firecrackers your entire childhood etc? :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1