How Old Were You When Your Tinnitus Started?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma, Feb 10, 2013.

?

How Old Were You When Your Tinnitus Started?

1. 0-12

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. 13-18

37 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. 19-29

117 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. 30-39

52 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. 40-49

36 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. 50-59

21 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. 60-69

5 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 70-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      This sounds embarrassing and stupid but I got into a fight with my dad and angrily smashed my head . I wish I knew about concussions and tinnitus before I hit myself. I had never heard about them before . such is life isn't it ? It sucks to be in my place though :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Emma L
      Depressed

Emma L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection/ prolonged abuse/ loud noise
      about 14, I'm far too unlucky

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      19, following minimal noise but lots of anxiety and 5-ht2a receptor agonist drugs.

Worse since a stupidly loud event at 27.

4. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was 7 or 8 when I had this ear infection that left me with a hearing loss in both ears (a little worse in the left) and tinnitus. Its strange, I don't remember silence I wish I could have it back though, would be nice to have nothing in the back ground making everything just a little bit heavier

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JC Denton

JC Denton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      31, after a drunken jam where everything was turned up to 11.:facepalm:
      Given that i'd listened to and played music at top volume for 15-16 years without any protection i'm amazed i can hear at all.

6. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Officially 31, although I have memories when I was a small child of laying my ear down on a pillow and hearing "chirping noises". When I was little I assumed that these chirping noises were coming from the pillow and I actually found the noises comforting and soothing. I had tubes in my ears at age four after repeated ear infections so I am sure this was some form of tinnitus at an early age. Actually that gives me some hope that mine will "go" at some point too because my tinnitus at age 31 came on after an ear infection (my first one since being that young.)

7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      21. Mega worsening at 25.

8. Dick

Dick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/24/15
      61; April 24th 2015 I awoke with t. he next day I did not notice it. April 26th it was back for good. 24/7 ever since.

9. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      I've had the Same Thought.

Noticing A LOT of people got their T. in 2013 and 2012

Have you sure you've never been in any GM (that mean chevrolet or GMC ) full size truck or SUV ?

There was a high-pitched sound in the cab for model years 2012 and 2013.

Check out- GM Bulletin# PIT5166C

It details it. And lists the vehicles

10. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Thanks for checking, but no. I take public transit. That said, I'm not sure being around a high pitched noise for the time it takes to commute would necessarily cause tinnitus unless it were at a very, very high db level, though I certainly cannot say for certain. Is this what you suspect caused yours, Mike?

I might also add, though, that a lot of members here might have 2012 and 2013 dates of origin as Tinnits Talk became more used in those years after its founding. So people who got tinnitus during that time, who had not yet habituated/were new may have found it easier to find us. This is only a guess, but just something I thought reading your post.

11. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      28 or 29 but I think but I had mild episodes before that. It definitely became permanent but was still VERY mild in 2012 at 29, now at 32 and it is Moderate and intrusive 3 toned T . It is constant but I am determined to not let this be the end of me. Life is a one shot deal, I have to make the best of it and find the moments of joy in between the shit.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      From the results the majority seems to be 19-29....Therefore, it explains why the membership is so low on here. Statically speaking, the largest group with tinnitus are over 50. So, 19-29 year olds are generally more tech-savvy whereas people over 50 aren't.

So, this site doesn't represent the overall figure for people with tinnitus. Many people wonder why tinnitus talk has low numbers, when supposedly tinnitus is common and overall is a large issue. Simple answer is, well I answered it above. 19-29 years olds are more tech-savvy, people over 50=generally aren't, not to say all are, I'm just saying the majority isn't.

13. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      upload_2015-9-7_8-50-46.png

14. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I don't think there's two paths of life with tinnitus. Nobody chooses to have tinnitus.

15. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      agree.
      but there's bad luck and good luck

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      There's no such thing as luck. You either get tinnitus or you don't. Through education we can prevent it. So it's not bad luck, it's ignorance through lack of eduction and informative information regarding tinnitus. Also, we can prevent the development of tinnitus simply by taking trobalt in the very early stages. So what does that tell you?

If young children, started getting tinnitus and I mean a massive amount of children just suddenly developed tinnitus, people would soon care. It's like that migrant crisis in Europe, 76 men suffocated in a truck, but nobody batted an eyelid, but as soon as a child died from drowning that was more powerful and moving than those 76 men who died. We changed our entire stance on taking in these refugees because of that picture. So if one child, just a single child developed extreme tinnitus and took his own life, the attitude towards tinnitus would change immensely.

17. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Danny Boy
      I totally agree, if there is no treatment in 2015 it is because people suffring from this condition
      do not react, they live in absolute silence in there societies .but they live in absolute noise in there head.
      today we know the mechanisme of tinnitus we know it's a neurons hyperactivity in dorsal cochlear and we know that the potassium Chanel may reduce this hyperactivity.
      so we have to react quikly in order to get this treatement in the market as fast as possible.

18. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I was 48. Noticed it 2 to 3 days after outdoor rock concert. Speaker too close. Also have fluid in both ears and problems with E tubes. Ears are always full. Lots of pressure. I actually know of two people who had noise induced tinnitus that stopped completely after several months for one I know it was 4 months. It can happen but I doubt we should all bank on it. Somewhere on this site I read that a poster noted his ENT said that 9o percent of tinnitus cases resolve in a year. Not sure I have ever seen any statistics like that. An ENT friend of mine thinks mine may be temporary due to it not being a chronic exposure, but he could not predict how long and it is almost 2 weeks now and going strong.

19. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      BTW I would actually rate mine severe. It's way too intrusive and is really hurting today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Matthew Karsner
      Asleep

Matthew Karsner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 13, 2009
      I was only 11 when I got tinnitus :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      While a lot of the 'noise exposure' cases can be prevented, there is a luck factor. There are people on here whose tinnitus started spontaneously, after 'normal safe behavior' or after ear infections or accidents etc.

I got very very mild tinnitus at 17 after playing a couple of songs without earplugs. I was in a hurry and thought playing a couple of songs without plugs wouldn't hurt. This was way before there was any information out there. I wish the school had told me about the dangers of noise exposure instead of the sexual education which I wound up never needing.

The tinnitus I have now arose two days after a rehearsal in which I did wear plugs... None of the other musicians did and they're alright. There is a luck factor in there somewhere...

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wouldn't call it "luck" more like "general" health of the ear and auditory nerves , when I got got tinnitus I was Ina really bad health period of my life , when I took the blood tests I had blood defiancy in vitamin b12 and 6 vital for the nerves which wear weak when. I was exposed to noise so they got easily damaged that's why nutrition and exercise are so important , I changed my health now to started exercising and eating healthy ;)

23. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Living more healthily is always a good thing :) I'm not sure whether your (or anyone's) tinnitus could have been prevented with it, though. Although we have great influence on the chances that we get a certain disease or condition, there still is chance involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      30, from ototoxic antibiotic (doxycycline, damn it to hell), with high stress being a contributing factor.

25. Booger
      Psychedelic

Booger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      High stress, loud music, working in a factory. I'm 21.

26. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      that will do it !

27. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

24. I think i set myself up with hearing damage from listening to music on headphones, however i noticed that the week before i noticed tinnitus i didn't listen to loud music or sounds and i specifically recall noticing tinnitus after reading a Reddit post about tinnitus. I had a lot of stress at that time.

You can't get tinnitus from reading something, so maybe i attribute my tinnitus experience to mostly to stress and awareness?

28. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Mine started in October 2017 at the age of 51 and disappeared in mid March 2018. Had it for nearly 6 months. When I first got T, I thought it was due to loud noise because I am a home theater maniac. To my surprise I don't have any hearing loss, even though I have been listening to loud sound tracks for more than 25 years. Still enjoying my movies at reference levels.

29. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      1994, 18, damn a shitty metal band I did not even like .. and boom .. but I must say it made me a lot more focused person, strengthen my will about 300% ;) .. I still would prefer to never had it but I do not know if I would be that successful person right now .. so it seems everything has a price :p it is true what does not kill you kill makes you stronger and since tinnitus is a hard battle you become a very experience fighter ... even the taoistic philosophy has a point here .. you can't fight against it, you have to fight to make the enemy your friend :) .. then there is no one to fight any more and the battle is basically over ..

30. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure

just wanting to clarify here. do you mean October 2016 and march 2017?