How to Get the Quietest MRI Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Oct 4, 2018.

1. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I just did an open MRI. So much for it being open, as my head was still 3/4 in the tube. I wore the pink -35 dB earplugs with the wax -10 dB (?) earplugs on top, plus the earmuffs. And it still was loud!

2. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      Well, she did say their earmuffs would fit in their head coils. And I asked her to double check, and she kind of didn't want to. But I ended up having a tech call me. And the tech said they'd fit, but that he had a way where I could do the MRI without a coil, because they just need the coil to count vertebra. But I had to ask him to double check they'd fit because if they didn't, I could buy and bring some earmuffs, and so he said he'd check and call me back. But then he never called back.

So, I'll have to call back. They said they just got the Canon Orion a few months ago. I believe this model comes with the Pianissimo technology that adds a software package to make it even more quieter compared to just the hardware vacuum part.

What I plan on doing is putting in soft foam earplugs that are like -29 dB. And then putting some Mack's ear putty that are -22 dB over the outside of my ear canal. And then hopefully the earmuffs that fit the coil.

But I'm thinking this probably won't be so bad because he said the MRI won't go over 88 dB. It's not going to be at 88 dB the whole time and it may never go to 88 dB. But with earplugs and earmuffs, the max dB I think would be around 45-55 dB.

I mow the yard 4 hours at a time with just earmuffs and don't have any problems. Though I know the sounds inside an MRI machine probably bounce around compared to them just flying out with regards to a lawn mower.

3. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I checked back at the place that recently got a Toshiba/Canon Orion that replaced their older Toshiba model. I believe the Orion came out in 2018. And as mentioned, it looks like the Orion comes with Pianissimo software. But I talked to the tech and he said he talked to the programmer who said that the software only applies to brain scans. I had assumed Pianissimo software applied to all scans, though maybe they just don't have it set up for that or something. I don't know why that software would only work for brain scans since I've never seen Toshiba/Canon mention that.

And this is why I don't let people answer random questions off the top of their heads when it is really important.

I had two people there tell me their earmuffs would fit inside a coil for a thoracic MRI. And the lady I talked to, I asked her to double check. And she didn't want to, insisting it would fit. And then I talked to a tech who said it would fit, but I told him to double check anyways. And I ended up getting in contact with him again who said their earmuffs wouldn't fit the coil. But he said he had a way where you could get the scan without the coil, as the coil is only there so they can count vertebra to know where the thoracic begins. So I guess I'll see how that goes as every other place with a Toshiba/Canon told me the coil was necessary. But he said he had done a thoracic MRI without the coil a while back on someone.

But I'll have to show up a couple of hours early to double check with them again that it will work as I'll be taking meds 30 minutes before start time. And the doctor only gave me one Valium, which would be real expensive to refill with gas and office visit if I took it, and then the guy had trouble getting the scan without a coil and I had to reschedule or whatever to try with ProEars earmuffs or something.

I plan to use Mack's foam earplugs, and then use Mack's silicon putty stuff to press over the top. I'm thinking just those should probably be fine since max dB is 88. And remember, I use only earmuffs when riding a lawnmower for hours at a time without issue. Although I do think my tinnitus does get rattled up temporarily from all of the vibrations, but I've never noticed anything permanently getting worse.

4. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      Exactly! I commend you for staying on top of the situation. These people who work at the MRI centers seem so well meaning, but I think they sometimes underestimate the importance of the questions we are asking.

5. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What was the MRI machine's model? And what brand pink earplugs are you referring to?

6. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    7. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you were needing just a regular MRI, then next time look for a Toshiba/Canon MRI that is a wide bore, i.e. 71mm wide inside, as it should be quieter. I use the Mack's slim ultra soft purple earplugs. The trick is you roll it small in your hands like you are setting a fire. Then with one hand, you pull down your earlobe, and the other you quickly shove it in. You should be able to feel if it goes in all the way.

8. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Hi there,

I have already written many posts on this thread to relate my own experience. I have gone through 4 MRIs over the last 2 years, all on Canon Orian 1.5T. Hand, coccyx, thoracic spine and cervicales. All went ok.

I now have to do an MRI again. I know where to go and how to protect (earSoft FX earplugs carefully deeply inserted + MRI approved earmuffs).

9. Silentreader

Silentreader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      To my understanding, the Canon MRI with Pianissimo technology are quieter than the open MRIs from other brands, even though open MRIs are marketed as being quiet. I recommend sticking with Canon next time.

10. Silentreader

Silentreader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Good luck Baker. I went into the same Canon Orion MRI machine last year, but for a knee MRI. See my post on November 12, 2022. I was extremely nervous and anxious too, so I understand how you feel. It sucks that we can't guarantee the Pianissimo software is ever used, but at least we know that Canon has the patented hardware technology that physically reduces noise for all scans, so you have some kind of baseline level of protection.

11. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm in LA and have some major imaging labs near me, but I have never seen a Canon MRI. After this open MRI experience, I will still try to avoid it at all costs.

12. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Part of the reason I'm nervous is because I have a lot of health problems, like a fractured back and bulging discs going into my spinal cord causing partial paralysis, so I don't know if my back will get to bothering me lying there. And I'm severely ill with horrible arthritis, a bad case of COVID-19 and I have tremors in all of my muscles from my spinal cord injury that I think is coming from my brain. So I just want to do this once as it would be hard to be still for an hour, and when I went nearly completely paralyzed years ago, I developed claustrophobia in a way.

And I do sometimes get panic attacks from the tinnitus, especially if it's really loud and I'm doing something where I have to wear hearing protection, which makes the tinnitus seem really loud. So I could see myself having a panic attack.

But a doctor did give me a Valium to take before, and I'll take like 4-5 Ambien a half an hour before so hopefully I'll sleep through the entire thing. Luckily the last fill of Ambien I got seems to be a good bottle in that they actually work. Because usually they don't work or barely work. I've had fills where they all were duds and I even took 5 at a time that did nothing. But I paid attention and found a generic brand that seems to work better than other brands.

13. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When you did your thoracic spine MRI in the Canon Orian 1.5T MRI machine, did they put your head in a coil? If so, did your earmuffs fit inside the coil?

The place I'm going to get my MRI at said they normally have to put your head in a coil and that earmuffs won't fit inside the coil. But then a tech said he had a way where you could get an MRI without having your head in a coil so I could wear earmuffs. Something about going in feet first. Which makes me think they may put some coil over my lumbar and count my vertebra from my lumbar up. As they have to count your vertebra so they can know I guess where to start/stop the images.

14. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      See my post dated February 12th, 2022 on this thread.

For the cervical spine MRI, I was unable to wear the earmuff since it was not fitting in the antenna.

I used double earplug protection (foam + silicon).

15. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see you used to use the Mack's Ultra Soft, but it appears now you are using earSoft FX? Just curious why the change? Or do you just buy whatever foam earplugs are available when you need to reorder?

I've been using the Mack's Slim Soft as I guess I have smaller ear canals. They are comfortable. I recently ordered Mack's Ultra Soft to try out. Which is what I'll probably use for my MRI scan (they have a higher -dB rating) as long as they don't cause pain like what a lot of foam earplugs do. If they cause pain or discomfort, then I'll use the Mack's Slim Soft foam earplugs.

And I'll be using the Mack's silicone putty stuff that you smash into the outside of your ear. And hopefully I'll be able to use the MRI safe earmuffs if I'm able to get a scan without my head going into a coil in the Canon Orion 1.5T.

16. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Actually I use both EarSoft FX and Mack's Ultra soft depending on the situation.

For the first three MRIs I used the EarSoft FX because on paper they are slightly above the Mack's Ultra Soft on high frequencies (both are NRR 33 dB but I am also looking at the full attenuation table).

For the last MRI, of cervical spine, I switched to Mack's Ultra Soft because I wanted to add the silicone earplugs on top of them (since I was not able to use the earmuffs) which is difficult with the EarSoft FX as they are bigger and they are going too much out from the ear canal.

For the next one (coccyx), I will use again the Mack's Ultra Soft + silicone earplugs + earmuffs.

Regarding comfort of the hearing protection, MRI lasts only 15-20 minutes so it shouldn't be be taken into account. It is not like you have to wear them for a 8-hour flight. You should just go for the most effective set of protection, and if it is causing pain for 15 minutes, it is not too big of a deal, is it?

For my daily life I am now using either custom silicone earplugs (pianissimo type) or Mack's Ultra Soft because they are effective, comfortable and very discreet with their brown colour. I am not really using the EarSoft FX anymore.

After my next MRI, I will have undergone five MRI exams over the last 2 years! As a tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferer, it is quite a performance! :clown: Who can beat this? :rockingbanana:

17. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd be getting an MRI of the thoracic spine, which I've had before and I think it goes for an hour. One problem with the foam earplugs is they can get itchy. So I'll be running some tests as it could be hard to sit still with a bad itchy ear that you can't scratch. Though I have a ton of other health problems that would also make it real hard to sit still, including chronic sinus congestion that hopefully won't be a problem as I'll use a decongestant beforehand. I also have chronic diarrhea, so I'll also do a saline laxative several hours before to make sure everything is flushed out so I don't have a cramp fest during the test, as every day is different and I can't predict when/what happens. Better to just be prepared for any possibilities.

18. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      OK guys, I am just out today from my 5th MRI for the coccyx... :rockingbanana:
      • Triple protection: Mack's Ultra Soft / Mack's silicon on top / earmuffs
      • Canon Orian 1.5T
      • 20 minutes
      • Really easy this time...

• Like Like x 2
    19. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone have experience with a brain MRI at Sharon, any issues? It's a couple hours away, I don't mind the trek. But just thinking about the noise with my head in there...

I called their team today and someone was kind enough to ask the tech: I wouldn't be allowed to bring my own MRI safe muffs, just earplugs and the headset supplied.

20. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For brain MRI, I doubt you'll be able to wear a headset. Though be sure to ask. I'd at least get high rated foam earplugs and the Mack's silicone putty over top. I've been using the Mack's Slim Ultra Soft, but plan to test out their regular Ultra Soft plugs.

21. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      I set a world record for most MRI attempts that I chickened out of (7). I'm surprised I didn't have charges pressed against me by the facilities! The Siemens 1.5T Aera with Quiet Suite is pretty quiet with earplugs and headphones, but you have to ask them to skip diffusion-weighed sequence. That's the loud one for a brain MRI.

22. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the info guys. Regarding the Siemens Aera, there's at least one in Princeton, NJ I can make it to as well. IIRC, someone one this thread might have been there.

Do you think it's quieter than the Canon?

https://www.princetonradiology.com/quiet-mri/

23. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      People who've researched this all seem to say the same thing. Only go for Canon/Toshiba as they have patents on their hardware and software technology that no others have. i.e. coils encased in a vacuum. I'd only go for Canon/Toshiba, but if there are multiple in driving distance, go for whichever place has the newest model.

24. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma, Noise Exposure, TMJ & ETD
      For all us tinnitus & hyperacusis sufferers it’s no secret that MRIs absolutely suck. Possibly the best tool we have for understanding what’s going on happens to be so damn loud that a lot of people have even developed their tinnitus or hyperacusis from the machines.

There are a lot threads about different methods of tolerating the noise, from what earplugs to use, what scanners to go for, etc. There are some companies that claim to have quieter scans (Toshiba’s Pianissimo Hardware & Zen software, GE’s Silent Scan, etc) but most of these have been reported to be minimally effective and barely any quieter than any other MRI.

What hasn’t been discussed surprisingly are the major advances recently made in AI software that allows scans to be much shorter. Those of us with hearing damage know that it’s VOLUME x DURATION that causes hearing loss & tinnitus. The AI uses some sort of deep learning algorithm to infer anatomical data and run multiple scans at once I believe. I really don’t understand the technology but those in radiology say that it is a breakthrough. Plenty of of software utilizing this has already been FDA approved. Philips has “Smart Speed”, GE has “AIR Recon DL”, Siemens has "Deep Resolve" and so forth. There is also something called Synthetic MRI and they can have a complete neurological exam done in 3 minutes! 
I’m sure those 3 minutes will still be awful but hell 3 minutes is way better than 20 minutes! Due to some other neurological condition I have, I unfortunately will need an MRI every 6 months or so. This is a real game changer for someone like me who had a horrible spike after my last MRI.

I’ve also seen some new noise-cancelling headphones that can be used inside the MRI. Not sure how legit these are but if they work and are combined with foam earplugs, you could get to real safe levels.

If we can get an MRI to be as short as a CT scan, then the noise will not be dangerous to even us. Hopefully these advancements will encourage more of us to get scans & the more data collected, the more we can understand about tinnitus & hyperacusis. Or if you’re like me and need MRIs for another reason, you wouldn’t have to be paranoid you’re going to have to habituate all over again.

I've already found a place in my city (LA) that has a Siemens Skyra 3T machine with the AI software that makes a neurological exam 5 minutes. This is not only a game changer for us but for imaging centers who can now see many more patients in a day. It's a rare occurrence when capitalism benefits both the patient and the med-tech companies but I'll take it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Would you be able to share the location in LA? I'm in LA.

26. Mauricio23

Mauricio23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I found a very interesting study comparing different kinds of MRIs (sadly from 2001!)

Toshiba came down as the quietest. Scientific articles where actual measurements were taken are more useful than only sharing personal experience. IMO.

Acoustic Noise on 1.5 T MRI Systems: Worst Case and Comparative Measurements (PDF)

The results shown in figure 1 demonstrate that acoustic noise levels for 'worse case' sequences are above or just below the IEC limit of 99 dB(A). The exception to this is the noise level of 83.5 dB(A) on the Toshiba Excelart which features the Pianissimo noise reduction system.

There is also this study:

Investigation of acoustic noise on 15 MRI scanners from 0.2 T to 3 T

27. scared8

scared8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma (mri)
      Not trying to scare you but an MRI (3T) gave me severe acoustic trauma/hyperacusis/worse tinnitus and ruined my life. I live in my room with ear pro 24/7, sometimes with unbearable pain.

Please don’t let doctors or MRI techs tell you it’s not that loud. People have gotten hyperacusis/tinnitus from MRI with double ear pro. Also “quiet” MRIs are still very loud from what I’ve been told.

28. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry for the late reply Sean!

The place I found with the Skyra (3T) is Advanced Imaging of South Bay. Kinda far as it's in Torrance but worth it if the MRI can be as short as their website claims.

Also - I found that Beverly Community hospital in LA has a Canon Vantage Titan (1.5T), this model is eligible for Pianissimo and Pianissimo Zen!

I hope this helps anybody in the SoCal area who might need an MRI. I hope in a few years all exams can be 5 minutes or less.

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. Dogwhistlehead

Dogwhistlehead Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worse in 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, acoustic trauma.
      I also wonder about this.

I am due for an MRA in a couple of weeks to look at blood veins in my head. From what I know, they use a special technique to get a good look at veins. Anybody knows what kind of technique this is? And how long it takes and what the noise level is?

I have had MRIs before my setback with no problems, but at this point I would much rather ask if I can have a CT with contrast instead if that is at all possible, or just drop the test all together.

30. Kev

Kev Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe the MRA is fewer sequences so you should be able to get a shorter scan. If an average scan were a couple minutes, I think even the most sensitive of us could make it through it. I'm hopeful MRI will get there in the next few years but for those of us who need them now, we really have to be our own advocates.

Oddly enough I've heard more people have trouble with the CT contrast than the MRI contrast but that's just anecdotal so don't go off me. I'm worried about the MRI contrast but they have newer agents with lower amounts of GAD in them which is supposed to improve safety. MRI has been booming with AI and we're very lucky we don't have to go in the machines of the 90s/early 2000s but I'm very excited for the day that MRI is a few minutes and you're done.