How to Get the Quietest MRI Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Oct 4, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      So I kinda need an MRI. A nerve is getting pinched causing my leg to go numb and burn. That's what I get for not leaving my home much and in a chair way too much. And I know it's been asked about before but I thought I'd ask again just in case there are any improvements out there.

I've read the Vantage Titan is the quietest, but what I don't understand is on their website it says 57.7 dB using Pianissimo Zen Sequences (oh la la), but then this FDA article says its average weighted is a little over 100 dB. How can I get that 57.7 dB or is it BS marketing like refresh rates on TV's?

Are there types of scans that are quieter but show less detail? It would be better than nothing.

Also what else can I ask the facility to do to help reduce the noise inside the chamber? Like insulation maybe? Wearing a space helmet?

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @another sean Pianissimo, I had one done. I called Canon Medical Systems for locations. They have worldwide telephone numbers. If you need assistance for a telephone number let me know.

Less than 2dB acoustic noise increase over ambient noise. Value is 63dB. A 97% reduction in perceived loudness from the older MRI's. Wear some plugs and you will be fine. The new Vantage Galan is now 20% less in loudness.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you saying the Vantage Galan is quieter than the Vantage Titan?

And do I need to ask specifically for the Pianissimo sequence? Can ear muffs fit in there since I'm not doing a head scan? My tinnitus is highly reactive. A speaker phone call can raise my baseline.

Phone numbers would be great.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @another sean Sorry that I took so long to get back to you. I can't find the number of the guy from Canon Medical Systems that had the location list. What I did first - was to call 1 - 800 421 - 1968 and they gave me the telephone number to the location guy. I had to leave my number on an answering format, but he returned a call in minutes. He said that he does this because he gets so many prank calls.

There's not many Pianissimo MRI's out there yet, but I believed that he mentioned some in Southern California. There's one in Northern California as of almost a year ago.

The Galan has the same sound dB as the Pianissimo. Galan's are all over California. The Vantage Titan's have a 30% deduction, but from what I don't know. So it many be 65% - 70% dB, but it could be more.

Since it's not a head study you can wear muffs with your plugs. Or maybe just muffs.
      Calling X rays departments are sometimes not too helpful. If it's a hospital I would ask for Quality Assurance.

• Like Like x 1
    5. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had one lately. They let me wear foam earplugs and then a second pair of big earplugs over the top. Also agreed to minimise the number of scans needed. It wasn’t too bad. No worsening.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you know how much of a time reduction there was when minimizing the scans? And when minimizing the scans, does that reduce the depth or length of the scan or reduce the resolution of final image?

9. Ctw
      Tired

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had many MRI’s. I wear silicone ear plugs, has not been a problem. It is loud in there!☹️

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't, it was a very casual conversation. I also didn't want to use the gadolinium contrast, so they didn't do the second set of images that needed that. The pictures of my pelvis and abdomen came out ok. I was in there for quite a while though, I think perhaps even 40 minutes. No spike. My tinnitus is not massively noise sensitive, but I've had spikes from e.g. a loud cinema showing. But, everyone seems to be different. Deffo take extra earplugs with you.

11. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was pretty nervous when in there listening to the noise though. They are not quiet. But it was ok in the end.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Please tell us about your experience after you have the MRI. I hope it goes well. Big hug!

13. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      It definitely wouldn't reduce image resolution. That only has to do with magnet strength (i.e. 1.5T versus 3T), which both work at the same general speed.

It wouldn't reduce "depth" of image either, though it could mean they only imaged the most necessary component, and not a wider area around that. MRI's take snapshot pictures as the move across your body, and then those snapshots are out together like one of those animated flip books to give you the 3D image. Length could be reduced of the number of pages in the book was smaller.

But most likely they didn't reduce it at all, as there are protocol that they have to follow for each imaged area. Likely they just said they'd only do the minimum, which was their basic package.

14. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      I wore double ear protection in mine.

Foam earplugs PLUS earmuffs.

Didn’t have any issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I'm likely to be scheduled for some kind of MRI to examine whether or not I have white matter deterioration. I consider it extremely important but can no longer pursue a normal MRI due to the inner ear damage it created the last time I went.

I've considered doing an open MRI instead, which has a less intense field and is therefore 'significantly quieter'. While the resolution may be problematic I feel like this is the only way I don't come out totally traumatized and with more inner ear problems than I went in with.

Has anyone here been through and open MRI and have an idea of the volume levels? Are they really not that different and just some BS the healthy providers have to say? How should I protect my hearing when using the machine?

16. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Hello,

Trying to get some advice from the community concerning the quietest MRI available for a brain and neck scan? I need to get one done to check for neurodegenerative changes or soft tissue damage to my neck, sinuses, and brain.

Currently I've been told that a 1.5 Tesla MRI is pretty quiet or better than the standard 2-3 Tesla machines they use these days. It's also one of the only quieter machines accessible for me because I cannot use transit and have to walk places. Have people had positive or safe experiences with this machine?

Anyone in this group have any tips as well on how best to protect my ears during a scan in a way that doesn't out a lot of pressure on my face and eardrums? I'm expecting to wear double protection but that can be complicated with my facial nerve inflammation and how sensitive my ears are to pressure (especially laying down).

Thanks for the help!

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      So I spent a lot of time searching and trying to find MRI machines that wouldn't irritate my tinnitus and ear pain.

I ended up having a scan done on an upright MRI machine, and while unfortunately they weren't able to get the scan done in the specific area I needed, I will say it was not intensely loud. It was a Fonar brand machine.

I only wore earplugs and not muffs, and while it was annoying, it didn't really give me any issues volume wise. It could have been a decent amount louder before I would have bothered by it. Anything around 85-90 dB starts to bother me generally.

Hopefully this information is useful to somebody in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is still a lot of work to do to make MRI machines less noisy.

Doctors try to convince patients saying MRI carries no risks... that must be why patients have to sign pages and pages of legalese before having an MRI test.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. HopeforAll
      Curious

HopeforAll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Pepcid? Airplane? Delayed onset from club 12 days b4
      So I have no choice but to do a brain MRI with contrast to check for Multiple Sclerosis. Last year they found some lesions so they want to do a follow up. I

called Armonk White Plains hospital and they said it's 110-118 dB for their "Silent MRI" machine. They said a brain scan is 45 minutes long on theirs. I bought MRI safe earmuffs but they said it's "not allowed".

Any other options in New York? I thought big cities were supposed to have everything.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. HopeforAll
      Curious

HopeforAll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Pepcid? Airplane? Delayed onset from club 12 days b4
      To follow up on this for anyone else. I went to Princeton Radiology Quakerbridge, New Jersey location. I had a great experience and my tinnitus is at the same level. No change since (2 weeks later). MRI is 101 dB at highest. I opted not to do with contrast because, although rare, I am afraid of toxicity. A brain MRI is 20 minutes long and they provide double protection. Foam earplugs with -29 dB headphones that will play calming music. The room is calm. I could hear the MRI but it wasn't too loud. I recommend trying your best to stay calm in order to prevent an anxiety spike. I also recommend you practice putting foam plugs in because they make you do it yourself.

Good Luck!

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. Mr_Orange_3737

Mr_Orange_3737 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax syringing removal
      I did some research on Tinnitus Talk and it seems like I've narrowed it down to the Vantage Titan, Vantage Galan, and GE Silent scan (for head scans) as the quietest MRI machines.

Anyone know of places in Los Angeles or Orange County that has these?

I might need to get a head scan to check for Multiple Sclerosis soon.

22. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      80 dB MRI of the hip with earplugs and muffs should be pretty safe, right? Or do I have to worry about bone conduction?

23. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Were you ever able to locate an imaging center with one of these types of MRIs?

24. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think Canon Vantage 1.5T with Pianissimo technology is the most quiet one from traditional MRIs. I was able to locate them in my country using the international customer service e-mail, which is listed on the official website.

25. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      Has anyone had an MRI in a Toshiba Galan and can tell me where to go to get that machine, which is supposed to be the quietest?

Calling Toshiba/Canon is pointless - I've tried & they won't tell where the machines are as they say it's a liability issue. Doctors are also clueless.

26. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      I had an MRI session last winter. It was for the hand and you are in a "Superman" position with the hand above your head directly in the tunnel meaning your head is fully in the middle of the MRI tunnel.

I contacted the MRI Market Director of Canon through LinkedIn and he was kind enough to answer me with the locations near Paris in France which are equipped with Canon Orian 1.5T device.

He confirmed to me that any musculoskeletal MRI exam on the Canon Orian (new name of Toshiba Vantage Titan) does not exceed 85 dB which is why it is no longer legally mandatory to supply hearing protection for the center (in France legislation threshold is 85 dB).

However, I used Earsoft FX earplugs + a special MRI headset with no metal on top of that.

The exam seemed still loud to me (especially some sequences looking like jackhammer) but it was mainly due to my fear and anxiety rather than the noise level itself.

At the end nothing to report on my hyperacusis or my tinnitus.

FYI a friend of mine who did both an MRI with a Siemens 1.5T Area and later on a Canon Orian 1.5T confirmed the Canon is far quieter...

Now I will only do MRI on Canon device.

27. Alan P
      Bookworm

Alan P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hi there! I’m looking for a quiet MRI machine in the Los Angeles or Southern California area.

I called Canon and they were unwilling to give information for liability reasons. Maybe they changed their policy? Did anyone have luck?

I’ve spent a few hours today calling and searching around.

Thanks so much!

AP

28. Gecko

Gecko Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acute acoustic trauma (brief exposure to a loud music video)
      Aloha,

I have tinnitus from an acoustic trauma and live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I need to get an MRI for reasons unrelated to tinnitus. Does anyone know if there is a quiet machine (such as a Toshiba/Canon Vantage model) in the area?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    29. Alan P
      Bookworm

Alan P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Hi Gecko,

I posted last month asking same question but didn’t hear anything.

Canon supposedly has great machines but they will not give out details where they exists for liability reasons. Which seams so counterintuitive.

After doing a ton of research I contacted G.E. directly as they also have machines that can run considerably quieter sequences. They put me in touch with Newport diagnostics here in Southern California. There they had a machine that could run in quieter modes. It was much easier. There was only a few sequences where it had to be run a little loud but it was completely tolerable with earplugs and only for 2 minutes tops. I would say that I have pretty off the charts reactive tinnitus and I walked out of it completely unscathed. You will still have to wear earplugs, as it will be about half as loud as a normal MRI but nowhere near the volume or intensity.

30. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I now have to deal with an MRI and would like to minimize noise exposure.

Do I understand this right: all Canon (previously Toshiba) Vantage machines (Orian, Galan, Titan and Elan) have Pianissimo silent hardware technology (magnets in vacuum chambers) and some additionally have Pianissimo Zen software technology to further reduce noise levels? Did anyone here use a Vantage machine with a bad experience? Any good experiences to share from others with hyperacusis and ear pain?

Thanks,
      George

• Good Question Good Question x 1