How to Get the Quietest MRI Experience?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      Okay, this is the first I've heard of this. I'm aware of the "Pianissimo" in Canon/Toshiba MRI machines that reduce noise via hard ware putting coils in a vacuum chamber, etc. And then some machines additionally have "Pianissimo Zen", which is special software to help make the sequences even quieter via software.

And now I'm learning of a "mute option" for Canon Galvan?

I've got a list of places that are supposed to have Canon/Toshiba MRI machines. I'm going to call all of them to confirm, and then have them give me the model number so I can look them up and figure which model is the most quiet.

2. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What was the MRI machine's make and model that you had done recently?

3. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm needing to get an MRI of my thoracic spine ASAP because of an increase in paralysis, though I can't make my tinnitus worse as thus far no doctor has gone over my prior MRIs, and thus this new one could be a waste of time as well.

The only MRIs I can find in a two hour drive is a Canon/Toshiba Titan. Which the techs at those places say are noisy. Does anyone know of any places in Kentucky or Georgia that have Canon/Toshiba MRIs? As I'd like to see if there are any places that have a newer model that is quieter than Titan.

4. Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      Is Canon/Toshiba the same "thing"?

5. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My understanding is that Canon bought Toshiba several years ago. Though I have no idea which company came up with the hardware that put a vacuum on the coil to reduce the noise via hardware. I'm guessing it was Toshiba. I did read something about this technology of the vacuum on the coil came out I believe around 1998. Which I didn't know this technology has been around for nearly 25 years as recently is the first I heard of this technology.

If anyone else has more info, please feel free to share.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lesky

Lesky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1997
      That would make sense, it's just confusing when you google and get two different "brand names" with the same technology and stuff. And as you know the MRI business is not very easy to navigate anyways when it comes to "silent machines" as that is not a priority for manufacturers or hospitals.

I did massive research into this topic back in 2013 when I got chronic headache and was going for a brain MRI. And sadly from what I have gathered from this thread, there seems to have been ZERO progress since then in this field.

It seems GE Healthcare's "Silent Scan" and Canon's "Pianissimo" are still the things people speak about, which makes me very sad considering it's been almost 10 years since I spoke to various MRI technicians etc.

It's insane that there is no technology this day and age to get MRI noise levels down to levels where they don't have to re-scan people because they are afraid of the noise and people getting hearing loss, tinnitus and hyperacusis from the horse s***.

GE Healthcare's MRI technician did promise me they would be improving Silent Scan and also making it available for more sequences, but if you google GE and Silent Scan, you only get hits from 2013, so it seems like it's dead in the water.

"What matters is finding the smallest tumors and the smallest strokes, so what if a few people get their hearing wrecked in the process" - it seems that this mantra is still the case in the business!

7. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My understanding from my research is you should avoid GE MRI machines because they aren't really as quiet as they have advertised. My understanding is to only stick with the Canon/Toshiba with the "Pianissimo" hardware technology. It can be confusing which Canon/Toshiba MRI machines have that technology. Though in my state, nearly everyone who has a Canon/Toshiba MRI machine, has the "Titan" version. None of them can tell me if they have the software package "Pianissimo Zen".

Which I guess is an add on, not really sure. But none of them can tell me if their MRI machines has that quiet software package, which means with that package, it should be quieter than without it. And then I see there are even more quiet software packages from Canon beyond that.

I was going to go ahead and go get a thoracic spine MRI in a Canon "Titan" MRI, until I found out that my head would be in a coil, and so MRI earmuffs may not fit. Been looking at the earplug store and see they sell child versions of MRI earmuffs that can fit adult heads if your head isn't big. So may get that. I will schedule an MRI and stop by beforehand to see if my head fits with those slim MRI earmuffs, and if not, then I guess I will just not do it. Because I don't know if just wearing earplugs and those MACK's silicone wax earhole coverings would be enough to not cause my tinnitus to get worse. I figured earplugs and earmuffs would make it safer than me just wearing earmuffs alone while mowing the yard on a riding lawnmower.

I think the noise type that makes my tinnitus worse is the loud sharp noise. Like snapping a ruler, or drilling something without hearing protection, etc. It did get a lot worse after getting a head cold for a week and then later on getting COVID-19 for a week.

8. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      This is the machine I landed on after needing a brain MRI. Were the earplugs tightly inserted, like you crammed them as hard as you can in the ear canal? I can't seem to get them to go all the way in for reasons related to earwax.

9. Darrenb111

Darrenb111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9th Nov
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I haven't read all the responses to this thread so apologies if this has already been suggested, but I wore silicon earbuds which lowered the noise of the MRI significantly. This was a head MRI and they allowed this. Hospital was in the UK if that matters.

10. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What make/model MRI did you use for your brain scan?

Maybe get some earwax remover? They've got different things out there. They have some liquid you can I guess put on a q-tip and rub in there, or maybe earwax remover drops to do days in advance? And they've got these little scrapers. I believe you can put some drops in and then use the scraper to go in and scrap out any chunks of earwax. I'd try that as yes, earwax can make earplugs want to pop out. Though the wax can aid in insertion.

I'm not sure if I'll do an MRI of my thoracic spine in a Canon Titan machine if I can't wear both earplugs and earmuffs.
      Do you remember what brand you used? I had thought of regular foam earplugs as they seem to offer the highest NRR rating. They may stay in better than silicon type. And on top of that, I had also looked at having earplugs in, but then on top to put that Mack's silicon putty stuff on the outside of the ear canal. Which could also aid in keeping the earplugs in place since you can't fiddle with them once you are in the MRI.

11. Darrenb111

Darrenb111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9th Nov
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It was silicon earbuds from a company called Loop. I won't put the URL as iI'mm not sure on the rules, but they are easy to find if you search. There are probably many other products like this as they are quite simple. They worked for me as I had hyperacusis which made my tinnitus very reactive to sound. I hope this helps you.

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have the number? I have been putting it off, but I will need an MRI to rule out things. It's not of the head, so at least I would be able to wear MRI safe earmuffs if allowed. Unfortunately there are zero quiet MRIs in my state, so I will likely have to travel for one. I do travel for work, so I could just do one on a work trip if I found a quiet MRI in a city I'm traveling to.
      MRI tech just told me the scan they wanted to do using their machine peaks at 120 dB. That would wreck me.

13. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Was this a brain MRI? I had a session with this machine and it was really, really loud. Even with foam earplugs correctly inserted in, it was nasty.