How to Overcome Misophonia?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Edub, May 13, 2022.

1. Edub

Edub Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a few different things
      Hey guys,

I don't think I have true hyperacusis, as everyday noises don't hurt, but they do cause me to panic sometimes.

I took a benzo the other day, and ended up standing next to a loud TV as it turned on (by accident). I had no panic and no "spike", which leads me to believe this particular thing is mental.

Does anyone have any experience overcoming this? Will Father Time solve this or should I attempt to gradually reintroduce sound?

Edub

2. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      Are you scared of some sounds or do they really bother you to the point you get angry?

If it is just panic, I am with you, as I have OCD and anxiety. I think coming to these boards make my fear worse. But I always do what is wrong to do. It gets better. I have been to the movies, doors shutting, car alarms after the fear stops. Never a spike. *Sigh* then my OCD repeats itself and I get afraid again.

Honestly just wear earmuffs if going to a concert or riding a lawn mower. That type of stuff. I have never used headphones honestly, so I am not going to give directions on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Edub

Edub Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a few different things
      Over the past few days, I have been exposing myself to sounds, yesterday was actually the first day in a month I rode in a car. I was terrified because many people on here say it spikes them. Nothing happened. I agree that these boards make me more nervous than I should be. I'm sure cars spike some people, but most will be fine; it's all about establishing what's comfortable for you. It seems my tinnitus will do what it's going to do, regardless of my actions.

Edub

P. S. We love Tom Brady, folks!