How to Protect Against Dentist Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Hi everyone!

It hasn't been too long since my concert question, yet I am already facing a new challenge.

I am going to have to get fillings replaced at the dentist tomorrow, and the dentist on its own scares me, let alone with all these ear problems I have since recently.

Unlike a concert, I can't actually protect myself from this with earplugs I've understood due to the occlusion effect.

Is there anything I can do to still protect my hearing in one way or another? I am more worried about this than the concert, also because I have TMJ which is most likely the cause of my tinnitus.

2. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Does it involve drilling? If so, I would ask the dentist to drill 5 seconds, then pause for 10, then drill 5 seconds, pause 10 seconds and so on. I read somewhere that that diminishes the risk of a tinnitus spike.

I had a filling done about 6 months after getting tinnitus (and hyperacusis) and I asked the dentist to drill like I described and it went well (I had no spike)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      One filling?

I discovered 10 seconds is a long delay. I requested the same thing and the dentist did that but towards the end of the drilling, I got the sense that the dentist was getting frustrated. I am glad it was one filling but I think I need another.

Another suggestion is to wave your hand if you want a break and need the dentist to stop. I read that suggestion on here and was going to mention it to the dentist but the dental hygienist already told me I can do that before I asked.

Edit: Oh, the other thing: other than asking for breaks, there's no way to protect from the sound. Dentists sometimes have two different drills, one is slow and quieter and one is a little louder but faster.

A few dentists have laser for hard tissue (cavities) but that is rare because the machines are so expensive compared to the standard dental drill. I called around but there was no dentists offering that in my local area.

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My dentist's drill is actually quite silent. It's really not loud at all. The "devil" at the dentist imo, is the suction tool - THAT is loud!

And yes, I only had one filling done.

I also have my teeth manually cleaned now. I'm lucky that my teeth develop very little to no tartar/calculus, so they are easy to clean.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have been postponing dentist for years for that reason.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to left ear made worse by ultrasonic dental clean 2019
      Be very wary of ultrasonic dental cleaning.

Some people with tinnitus have no issues others such as myself have had major issues.

I am now suffering increased levels of high frequency dental drill noise in my brain.

Never will I ever let a Ultrasonic Dental Cleaning devise near me again.

I just wish I had been warned before I went ahead with this procedure and researched this devise for myself.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh man... Well I guess I will just have to face this. My appointment is in an hour, pretty nervous lol. I'll explain my situation to the dentist though and will see if he can drill for smaller periods. Thanks for the advice everyone!

8. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Let your dentist know about your situation. My dentist is very careful about that.

And if they suggest plaque removal using an ultrasonic tool, ask for an alternative because this is very noisy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      How’d it go?

Usually earplugs at the dentist makes it sound all louder and magnified in your head.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well I just went.. they tried to watch it a bit, but I still think I got exposed to way too much noise.. So far im not noticing anything different, but my jaw is definitely tired and it aches, as well as my ears. Hopefully I won't get a surprise tinnitus later in the day/week... I'll keep track of it. I have to say that concert I went to was nothing in comparison to this :dunno:

11. spinnaker

spinnaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / hearing loss
      Never caused a spike for me before though it was uncomfortable during the cleaning. But far less uncomfortable than that constant scraping the old fashioned way.

I need to go this afternoon. :( I will ask for the old fashioned way due to my spike.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Well, the dentist is different from a concert, the noise is travelling through bone conduction. Keep us posted! Tell us how you're feeling in a few days!

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      nuke your dentist.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did you do it with the suction tool? Did you ask for breaks or how does the suction tool situation work??? :)

15. Steve G

Steve G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20th November 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Slap to left ear made worse by ultrasonic dental clean 2019
      I think the biggest problem was the duration of the clean, 30- 40 minutes, and the fact that the hygienist contacted my rear upper molars numerous times. I had to stop her on every occasion as the noise and vibration were extreme. That noise and vibration transfer directly into the cochlear. Not good for anyone with auditory issues.

16. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I asked the dentist to stop quickly with the suction tool, and only use it very sparingly.

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're saying people shouldn't go to the dentist. I hope not, because that's a very bad idea.

Maybe you meant scrape OP's dentist and find a new one if they use loud drills and a not very understanding (willing to take breaks)......in that case, I agree.

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      No, I am saying acquire nuclear weapons and use them against your dentist, preferably from obit. That is the best way I can think of to protect against dentist sounds. Do you have a better idea?

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I had a tooth cleaning with ultrasonic and manual scraping two weeks ago. I also had a large cavity drilled out, and filled yesterday. He had newer equipment, and the drill was not as loud as some other offices I have been to.

I did not spike from either. Skipping dental care is not the way to go, and will just end in bigger problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      A good suggestion because rest or interruption of noise is good for your hearing versus ongoing sustained noise...but, many dentists will struggle with this protocol. Some can not effectively keep to this timing. As a result, I sometimes suggest my dentist tap dance while drilling which creates a more natural rhythm of drilling versus not. Please know, this doesn't help some dentists either. Perfect storm? Tinnitus patient with a dentist with two left feet. Then you need to find another dentist who can stick to the program.;)

On a serious note, ear protection, complete disclosure to the dentist...request TheDanishGirl's suggestion for interruption in drilling and ask the dentist what model drill he uses and if he knows the dB level. Many modern dentists have the latest lower noise drills because they don't like hearing the sound every day either.

Good luck

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you know what kind of drill it was? If you could find out anything about this drill, it would really help many of us here. Was it electric as opposed to air-powered? Was the speed set at the highest setting, or was it at the slowest setting?

Thank you!
      The problem is - how do we identify those dentists... We need to know what questions we could ask about their drill.
      Would you know what kind of drill it was? If you could find out anything about this drill, it would really help many of us here. Was it electric as opposed to air-powered? Was the speed set at the highest setting, or was it at the slowest setting?

Thank you!

22. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I believe it was a newer air driven drill, but definitely quieter than my last dentist's equipment. I had stayed away from the dentist over the last year for concern with T, but if I knew it was only going to be as loud as it was, there was no reason.

I did not request frequent breaks, but the drilling worked out to not be continuous anyway.

There are electric drills that are quieter as well out there.

https://blog.kavo.com/en/air-driven-vs-electrical-handpieces/

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Bobster59

Bobster59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic neuroma
      I also switched to manual cleaning. I use to spike for a couple weeks with ultrasonic. Huge difference with manual cleaning. I've had 2 cavities filled and asked the dentist to do it a few seconds on and a few seconds off but also asked him to slow the rpms down. No spike.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll try to remember to ask my dentist about it.

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you!!

26. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Did you get any spikes from the suction tool? It's been a month now since my dentist visit and I still have a spike from this.

• Hug Hug x 2
    27. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I didn't ever get a spike from it as far as I remember. Sorry to hear you're experiencing one. Maybe consider taking some NAC and extra Magnesium. Hopefully it will calm down soon.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately, I have not got any better since my dentist visit, which is downright absurd considering the suction tool shouldn't have caused any problems :( And now my filling fell out. Hopefully I'll find a laser dentist to fix this without any drilling, because clearly drills are not going to be an option.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have had spikes lasting a month or more. The last spike I had from the dentist lasted only around a week. Another time more recently I had a crown and pin drilled out, which was the loudest, most obnoxious sound ever. I'm amazed I didn't get a spike, but I had discussed taking gaps during drilling with my dentist so I'm guessing that helped.

It seems so variable but most spikes are just temporary.

30. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had my filling done with laser today. The dentist really struggled to level the filling without the drill and I think the filling is a little bit high and it's causing a lot of bite sensitivity so I am unable to eat on that side of my mouth. Hopefully the pain will subside but it doesn't look like I'm out of the woods yet and maybe a drill will have to be used eventually to level the filling properly. My teeth are also very rough now probably for the same reason as not being able to level it properly. I'm going to get a second opinion.

Apart from that, I don't have any spikes from the procedure. I used double hearing protection. The laser was not loud, nor was the suction tool with the hearing protection on.