How to Reduce Your Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Apr 26, 2014.

1. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thanks for your advice gebora, i've been on them for two weeks no increase as of yet ...

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Maybe so, but in Carol's country there are a number of them.

Stephen Nagler

3. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I could be wrong, but I don't believe xanax is considered an antidepressant. It's classed mainly as an anti-anxiety med. Most who take trycyclic antidepressants do quite well, with weight gain being the major complaint with mirtazapine.

4. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thanks, I hope yours will go away some day too! I don't really consider myself cured yet, as today would just be the 2nd full day of my being aware that I can't hear it. So I don't want to get my hopes up.

But I think the best thing to do is proceed with the mentality of habituating to your T, as there are no guarantees. But I'm glad to hear that yours is mild.

5. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm not saying, that xanax is antidepressant.. But i have bad experience with amitriptylin and risperidon(anti-anxiety med).. If xanax caused my worse state.. I dont know.. Probably amitriptylin or risperidon..

6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @MattK , That is such great news re your t going away. I don't read that often. Would you just let us know how long you have had t, and what do you think the reason for your onset was? Plus, any notes you can give us on what you might have done to help it diminish? I know it is a crapshoot with t. But just trying to find some links.
      Cheers, Matt.
      Lisa

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Lisa,

If you pressed me, I would have to say that it simply went away on its own. But about 3 weeks ago, I did start a supplement regimen that may have helped, but I feel it is a long shot. Because I don't think I take anything that is any different than what anyone else has taken. But since having tinnitus, I have done a lot of things differently such as clean up my diet (I now drink several fresh vegetable and fruit juices per day made from a juicer), have gotten more exercise, and the supplement regime. So if I did do something to make it go away, it is nearly impossible to really say what it is.

I got my tinnitus on the night of Feb 13, 2014, and it seemed to have come from nowhere. All audiograms I have taken did not detect any hearing loss, and two ENTs I had been to could not see any type of structural reasons for my ears to act up. So it was a bit of a mystery on what could have caused it. My GP and one of the ENTs thought it could have been a virus that damaged my inner ear. But another ENT seemed skeptical about that, because he thought I'd have cold-like symptoms. Basically that a viral infection wouldn't have tinnitus as its sole symptom. So, who knows what caused it?

One thing I have done lately is work on improving my sleep by going to bed earlier than usual. I had noticed that if I got a bad night of sleep, then my T would be worse the next day. So getting a good night of sleep didn't exactly make it go away, but it did make it better. So that might have something to do with it as well.

As for my supplement regimen, I am including it only as a possibility that something on the list is responsible. It could be that all of it in combination had something to do with it, or maybe it was just one thing, or it could also be that none of it did anything. But I have been doing this regime for about 3 weeks now.

In the morning:

- B50 complex
      - 100 mg of Niacin (this is B3, note that I am taking actual niacin, not the no-flush niacin and not niacinamide)
      -500 mg of vitamin C w/300 mg of bioflavonoids (it's a combination in one capsule)
      -1000 mg bioflavonoid tablet
      -5000 mcg B12 (as an under the tongue dissolvable tablet and in the "methycobalamin" form)
      -120 mg standardized ginkgo biloba extract

In the Evening:

-100 mg niacin
      -50 mg of zinc gluconate
      -500 mg Vitamin C w/300 mg of bioflavonoids
      -1000 mg bioflavonoid tablet
      -100 mg vitamin B1 (thiamin)
      - 2 fish oil softgels providing a total of 400 mg of DHA & 800 mg of EPA
      -250 mg of magnesium
      -120 mg standardized ginkgo biloba extract

45 minutes before bed:

3 mg of melatonin as an under the tongue dissolvable tablet.

8. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks, @MattK . They say that if it is going to self resolve, it is most likely to do it in the first 3 months. So happy for you. Thanks for the info. I do all that stuff too. But will start juicing veggies and fruit, I think. That seems to have reduced t for many. Thanks again, Matt.

9. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Matt... Just want to echo the thanks and support for you being on the board and your great posts. Indeed it says a lot that you feel you have made connections here that you don't feel like ditching just because your tinnitus has gone away. (Which again, is fantastic!!!). As you said, even while you had the tinnitus you kept on doing what you wanted to do with your life, and were on the site as an added aspect of that. Plus of course, it's an obvious thing to research when first confronted with the condition, and this is by far the best site to get info on tinnitus - IMHO!
      However, don't feel bad if life does swirl back with all it's demands and distractions and you end up not finding yourself here, as that too is normal and healthy. You now have that appreciation of tinnitus from direct experience and will not have that "puzzled look" if and when someone mentions that they have it. You will no doubt offer genuine sympathy which I can assure you that means a lot.

Your supplements regime (thanks for sharing that) does have things in it that could affect tinnitus...in fact about everything in there! This particularly for non trauma (loud sound) induced tinnitus, though that's just a hunch on my part. Certainly I think trauma induced and ototoxic (c/o more heavy duty drugs - not aspirin, etc.) induced tinnitus are tougher to deal with in terms of remission. However, as you have probably figured by now, this tinnitus thing is a slippery beast and manifests like the heads of Medusa!

Always glad to read your balanced and germane input, so feel free to hang around the forum as I for one appreciate that, but don't feel bad if you don't either! Ahhhhh...after 58 years I don't think I know what 'silence' is any more. Sure sounds like a nice concept though. Good for you!

Take good care, Michael

10. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @MattK Hey Matt, one other question. What was your T like? Was it loud or soft or steady or fluctuating? Sorry to pester you with questions, I'm just hoping some of your luck will run off on me! :) I'm not sure where mine came from either. I'm thinking it could be the dreaded 'stress', but who knows if that's even possible.

And don't go! lol. Your posts are great.

11. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thanks for the nice post. The reason I am hesitant to make any claims that my supplement regimen helped my tinnitus is because as far as I know, there is nothing in there that others have no tried already. It could be that everyone reacts differently and I just got lucky. Or it could be that while everyone tried these supplements, it could be that mine is the "magic combination"... or it could be that mine was going to go away on its own. It's so hard to say.

Considering that I got my tinnitus out of nowhere, it wouldn't surprise me if it left spontaneously. I hope within our life times, there will be a genuine cure so that you will know what silence was like.

12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Initially when I got T for the first few days, it was in my right ear and sounded like a high pitched whine... extremely similar to the sound you might hear from an old TV set. Then after a while, it sounded like a noise in my head, no my ear. It wasn't constant, but fluctuated... the best thing I can think of would be like the fine-tuning of an old TV, where it was constantly fluctuating in frequency... and the volume fluctuated too. Sometimes it also sounded like I was surrounded by cicadas or something.

lol I don't think your posts are pestering at all. I would be asking the same things if I knew someone just lost their tinnitus... I just wish I had some definite answer. Since getting my tinnitus, I have just adopted a much healthier lifestyle in general of vegetable juicing, supplements, and exercise. But I can't guarantee that any of those had to do with it, but they certainly didn't hurt.

13. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @MattK , just out of couriosity, what veggies exactly did you juice?
      And, Yes, I think your t was going to go away anyway.

14. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

Similar to mine. I get the occasional high-pitched whine, definitely get the crickets. Plus I often/usually have a ocean roar/seashell sound. And I have a central "beam" of sound that I picture as sort of a horizontal beam that gets brighter or darker as the sound is louder and softer. And the beam is surrounded by a haze of static, which represent the crickets. That's sort of how I visualize it. And it kind of goes across the middle of my head. And the roar is on the bottom, underneath the beam, and kind of in the ears. Sometimes it sounds like one ear might be louder than the other, but I can't really tell.

Did you ever get sensitivity to sound, I get a little of that. Not exactly H, but whenever I cut paper with a scissors, the sharp noise does seem to slightly irritate my ear. Weren't you saying you went to movies without incident? I guess I did too, but I wore earplugs. I was trying to be safe!

15. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      It varies. I like to have, at minimum, two 16 oz glasses. Some of my staples:

1 apple
      4 carrots
      1 small lemon
      1" of ginger

Also:

1 cucumber
      1 cups of spinach or 3 stalks of kale
      1 small lemon
      1" ginger
      1 apple

or:

1 small beet
      1 apple
      3 carrots
      1" ginger

I don't peel the lemon skins as they are fine to juice... but if I ever use an orange I do peel that. But anyway, I drink these juices or some close variant every day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thankfully I've never had sensitivity, just the T. But I would imagine that H would be even worse than the T. Really sorry to hear that.

Yes, I have watched a few movies at the theatre with no negative side effects. I didn't wear ear plugs. But you gotta do what you feel is wise.

Mine also seemed to be in the middle of my head but sometimes it seemed to be from my right ear, or closer to it. And sometimes from my left, but usually the right.

17. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      @MattK I'm not sure how much real 'sensitivity' I had/have either. I think it could be psychological, and once you get it in your head that loud sounds are bad, you start to cringe a little. I've never had any 'spikes' as such. Mine only gets louder with stress. And quieter with calm. I'm halfway of the opinion that H is all in one's head anyway, in a away, although I suppose spikes/pain are very real for some people.

You never had crackling in the ear, nothing like that? No 'physical' symptoms?

18. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Hmm... I don't recall ever having physical symptoms and definitely not the crackling thing... lol and it's a good thing too, because I think crackling would drive me nuts!

19. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Oh my dear...you haven't been able to habituate since 1999? That's horrible! I'm so sorry Magpie.

20. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Dumb question for you Neenie,

Why did you stop all calcium supps? I know that taurine acts on the calcium channels. Does it have anything to do with that?

thanks

21. Slivo

Slivo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      whip lash then high blood pressure
      My first post
      I keep a daily diary, have done so for 12 years, what i eat, blood pressure, herbal medications, how loud my Tinnitus is T1 to T10, at the moment it is T7 because i did not do the following....
      The last year i have been eating a boiled potatoe with my evening meal which has helped to reduce my blood pressure, the last 2 weeks i have been taking a pinch of ground cloves and ground cinnamon with food at breakfast and 12 hours later with food at supper time. My Tinnitus is in my right ear, the next day this noise normally reduces to a t1 level, this does not work all the time but when it does its wonderful. (its the combination of a potatoe cloves and cinnamon which works, leave one out and it does not work)
      At night i take 1mg melatonin with b6 and a shot glass of dandelion coffee, this combination gets me to sleep for 6 hours.
      if i am depressed i hum via my nose for about 10-15 seconds repeated for a minute any worries are forgotten, blood pressure drops, headache and local pain can also be reduced.

well this helps me, it may help you.

• Like Like x 1
    22. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Congratulations! I assume you finally habituated!! :) Consider yourself blessed.