How to Sleep with Tinnitus without Taking Medications?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dilshaad, Jul 31, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Hello

Can anyone please advise how one can sleep with tinnitus without taking sleeping medications. Please provide some advice.

Kind regards
      Dilshaad

2. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      Hi Dilshaad, different things will work for different people. I've used relaxing music (with sleep phones, low volume) and breathing exercises and found these helpful. Some find white noise helpful, or a fan left on etc, so experiment to see what helps you. Make sure you're tired when you go to bed. If you have a bad night or two, don't stress about it - one way or another, you'll get enough sleep to keep going. If you can go without sleep medication, great, but remember it is an option if you need it. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      2 things
      - dont be anxious....take an evening walk
      - have masking like a fountain

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Hi Irene

Thanks for your quick reply. Since when you got tinnitus? How did it come from? Mine came after drinking antibiotics due to ear infection. Its been two months.

Kind regards
      Dilshaad

5. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Dilshaad.
      Try a warm bath,
      Sound therapy
      Lavender on your pillow
      A warm milky drink
      Black out curtains make it dark
      Relax and unwind an hour or two before bedtime and keep off computers Tec
      Try some reading

Hope this helps...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      After a period of sleep trouble i realised it was the anxiety keeping me up, not the sound.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      When I first got T I was quite nervous about it and would lay for hours not sleeping also hands sweating and had frequent urination. My doctor put me on a low dosage of xanax for day and ambien to sleep and would play nature sounds all night to mask my T. This worked but I knew it was a temporary fix and didnt want to be on meds unless I had too. Seven monthes later dont need ambien anymore and take a very small does of xanax when having a bad day. What helped most with sleeping was to get one hour of vigorous exercise everyday, go to bed and get up the same time everyday, no naps inbetween, listen to soft music one hour every night befor bed to get into a relaxed state of mind.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Dilshaad

Dilshaad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection in ear
      Hi All

Thank you for all your advices. Much appreciated.for the time being im taking melatonin and xanax o.25 and i put rainfall sound n then read till sleep comes. But i sleep only 3 to 4 hours and it is broken sleep. As soon as the sound stops my sleep got broken. I fear this sleep pattern is affecting my t and is making it becoming worse. Because in this short period i also got hyperacusis.....

I hope it goes away

9. IreneO
      Busy

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma
      I have T since the end of 2014, due to head injury from a traffic accident. Two months is very early days, hang in there and it will get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1