Hum-Like Tinnitus — Let's Compare

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eszett78, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Eszett78
      Wishful

Eszett78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi! I am 43 years old and have to bear a hum-like sound in my head since maybe 10 years now, and it is more than strange since all its properties are those of an artificial sound and quite 'unbiological' in my opinion:
      • it's around 100-120 Hz (estimated)
      • it's a tad more on the right half of my brain but not much
      • never changes frequency
      • never changes volume (subjectively it appears louder in a silent environment of course)
      • goes on and off seemingly randomly, but actually it's not that random, because ...
      • it's triggered by other low sounds, e.g. if chatter my teeth, or if a door shuts
      • a trigger changes the hum to off if it's on and to on if it's off
      • this 'triggering' doesn't work all the time, but often enough that imagination can be ruled out
      I know what I write seems odd or like a hoax, but I assert you I am dead serious with this and it is as describing it. The sound doesn't come from outside, I checked that with travelling to other countries. If your hum has the same properties I would ask you to contact me. I'd like to talk to people with the same symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      It does not seem odd if you search for low frequency humming tinnitus on this forum, you'll find lots of friends.

3. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      I have a low frequency hum too.

It started after sleeping a few hours after having had a few beers (was drunk when I fell asleep, but not super drunk) 18th of December last year. It's still with me even if I feel it has been away or at least lower at times. Other low frequency sounds "takes it out" of the head, such as the continuous ventilation I have in my bathroom and kitchen.

Shaking my head temporarily interrupts it. Pressing the "cartilage lid" (forgot its name) in front of the ear canal of my left ear a few times in quick succession seems to alter the sound temporarily. Would not recommend doing that regularly, though.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eszett78
      Wishful

Eszett78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, but if you make a checklist for criteria of 'organic' and 'artificial' it matches 'artificial' 100%, no? As there is no change in frequency and it goes 'on' and 'off' like a switch is turned. I can hardly believe my brain is capable of creating /emulating such sounds.

There is one last thing I want to try about this hum. I would like to know if the hum stays off if there is no trigger anymore. For ex. if I was in a cavern or shelter or tunnel that's like 100 meters or more below the ground! There should be no electromagnetic signals anymore, no sounds from the outer world that may trigger it on. Haven't visited any place like this yet. But I will.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Some hum causes:

Venous hum is humming sound in veins due to blood flow. The blood flows to the brain from heart and or aortic vessels via the internal carotid and arteries of vertebrae. This humming sound is produced due to the vibration of the veins - blood flow in veins. An interventional radiologist to test for this.

For many, humming is caused by repeated exposure to quieter low frequency noise over a long time.

6. jacksprat

jacksprat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      aspirin overdose
      I also have "the hum" but it went away considerably when I sold my house & moved. It never bothered me except for the fact I could hear it I was surprised when Criminal Minds TV show had an episode that mentioned "the hum." Then I knew that I wasn't crazy.

7. brynon

brynon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have constant hums in one ear of 152 Hz and 218 Hz that alternate back and forth randomly. The lower one drives me crazy. It can be stopped with finger in ear or shaking head violently it but comes back quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Moby

Moby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid?
      Yep, my hum definitely has these same properties. I've been so pleased to come across this forum and find others who have the same weird thing. Mine isn't turned 'on' by low frequency sounds though - its default is on. It only turns 'off' by other sounds - like when I speak or another person with a low frequency voice speaks, or if an aeroplane flies overhead, or a door closes or even if I shake my head fast enough.

It's so weird and annoying! The first time I noticed it was when I had COVID-19 and so I'm not sure if that somehow triggered something weird in my brain.

I also have slightly blocked ears and my nose (under the bridge) seems to be somehow sensitive to sound too (?). I have a ridiculously deviated septum too and so I don't know if that's linked.

Please let me know if you get any answers! I'd love to stop it.