Hyperacusis and Panic Causing Insomnia

Discussion in 'Support' started by Luman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I've somehow developed a bad problem with any noise when I'm trying to go to sleep, which has resulted in near-severe insomnia. As soon as I drift off, the slightest sound will cause me to wake up in a panic that has actual physical symptoms, and can't get back. This can happen a number of times, and I can only get 3 to 4.5 hours a night of broken sleep, sometimes less.

This has been happening for about a month. The tinnitus itself is usually quiet when I lie down, but sleeping only for a few minutes will ramp it up much louder when I awake.

I take melatonin, and some hemp oil, which helps, but not enough. I cannot take any benzos or sleep-inducing drugs due to problems I've had with benzo prescriptions.

I have to work on desensitizing myself to sounds, and learn how to relax for sleep again. The part of the brain that reacts with fear, is doing this, which is similar to tinnitus distress, in that regard, but I get terrified, and there's no rational reason for it, it's due to a function of the primitive part of the brain. A few months ago, this rarely happened, now it's every night, and worse in the daytime, when I can't sleep at all unless I've taken a couple of Benadryls, which is not a good solution to say the least.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I have reconsidered this situation and I believe that I have developed a mild to moderate case of phonophobia. Over the past couple of months, I have overprotected my ears when outside, and I think that this is the cause. It's ironic because I learned a while ago that overprotection is not recommended, and now I have to set about undoing this mistake.

3. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @Luman

Just saw this. I know this is an older post -- how're you doing now? Have things settled a bit for you?

Mystery Reader

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I had mentioned several times over the last year or so within ear protection threads that heavy noise blocking headphones are not advised for those with certain physical conditions. This would be for those with a problem within the neck, face or jaw. Included would be a straight neck - loss of normal lordosis, spondylosis, arthritis, joint hypertrophy, soft tissues, vein, nerve or arteries problems. Even if your tinnitus isn't somatic, it can become somatic with use of heavy headphones from shoulder and neck muscle spasms, bad head posture or injury.

The weight of certain headphones for those with physical conditions are just too heavy and bending head while wearing can really cause a spike. Besides that it can increase physical damage. I can get a spike now after only 3 minutes of use. Many older people from age 40 do have some neck arthritis. Also think about the pressure being applied to the sides of head.

I use earplugs now.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      try vodka. That helps me to sleep.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR