Hyperacusis from Acoustic Trauma — Anyone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Piotr, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Piotr

Piotr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ----
      Who got hyperacusis from an acoustic trauma? Has it got better? How long did it take?

I have had it for 1,5 month, it's terrible in my left ear and much better in my right. I have no pain, but everything is so loud and even some quiet sounds give me discomfort, cringing and eardrum fluttering.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I got H after an acoustic trauma. It got much better after about 3-4 months, and it was completely gone sometime between month 6 and month 9.
      Sounds like Tonic tensor tympani syndrome, TTTS. It also gets better over time, but you may have to wait 6-12 months for it to get better.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. annabel16

annabel16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I got T and H from an acoustic trauma, and my H got gradually better to the point where it was almost gone in 2 1/2 years. The worst of it passed within 6 months. I had quite a lot of very minor fluctuating pain and once that resolved I have been better able to ignore the whole thing.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Elephant ear washer (Ear syringing)
      Seeing recoveries like these give me hope... I've been experiencing H for almost two weeks, and even though it's been mild it's been a hell on earth I wouldn't wish on even the most diabolical of people.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think the same thing is happening to me since a second noise exposure two weeks ago: increased sensitivity to sound and a weird discomfort.

6. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      6-7 months here from acoustic trauma. I think I had acoustic shock tbh. My damage was progressive and accumulative but everything just gave way. It was like a support that just finally broke.

I am glad to say my H has significantly improved. Pain, amplified loudness and Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome have become almost non existent unless sound is over 85 db

• Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      After a acoustic trauma (loud music exposure) 7 months ago, I still have pain(2 out of 10) almost 24/7. Anyone else has experienced that? Should resolved after some more time? Fullness sensation has been getting better, might have some of it left, hope it goes away soon.
      The t has been annoying as it is.

8. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Are you getting any better by now?

9. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I listened to rock music with earbuds in the street when I was 14~15 and the acoustic shock came when I was turning up the volumes in a noisy bus(a school trip). I felt a slight hearing loss after then and the tinnitus. Eventually the tinnitus has gone but experienced another big noise when I was attending a rock concert. The sound was really loud but I was rather enjoying it, no discomfort, feeling the drums getting to my whole body and etc.

The only thing that relieves me now it that I was late at the concert by 30 minutes and left an hour earlier. but since then I noticed that I couldn't handle those big noises as other people could. I was the only one who felt that, but I was perfectly fine with the school life and outside.

And then I moved to a noisy apartment. Cars and buses were running outside and it was vacuum-like silence when I shut all the doors but with occasional muffled car noises like 9 times every minute. I had lived in this condition for 4 years and didn't notice such noises but now I couldn't sleep and even stay in that apartment so I left for quieter place where I can open my windows and hear the wind and birds singing.

I can assure you that living in that apartment definitely worsened my hyperacusis to a level indescribable. 4 years of severe hyperacusis and 2 years of ear protection and now I'm done with any more ear protections. I can sense that my condition, psychology involved, is getting very slightly better.

10. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have Severe Hyperacusis from ear syrgining (Caloric test). When I speak it hurt my ears or when other people talk it hurts my ears. Pages flipping in a book, water splashing, or objects cluttering cause discomfort. I agree I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. It has been since January and I have seen 0 improvement in my H and T.