Hyperacusis Pain Relief from Marijuana / Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Born To Slay, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey everybody, so I’m still suffering with hyperacusis and it hasn’t gotten any better. Actually it’s weird, some symptoms improved while others got worse. So the burning pain is gone (thank god) but over sound tolerance is worse and the aural fullness feeling and dull ache are more prevalent and triggered more easily.

So a friend of mine who had pain hyperacusis before she got the hyperacusis surgery (now she’s good tho) recommended I get lit up on some Mary Jane as a pain killer. This on the surface makes sense, marijuana does have pain relieving qualities for neuropathic and other kinds of pain. But on the other hand it’s illegal without a med card in my state. I do however know a girl IRL who uses it and can sell me some.

So my question to you fine people is, have any of you with pain hyperacusis smoked pot and noticed a change in your symptoms?

2. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      In theory, cannabis consumption could alleviate some of the pain associated with H through the activation of the endocannabinoid system. I know of palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), a well-researched endocannabinoid, that has shown some efficacy in the treatment of neuropathic pain. Bearing in mind that pain H is, at least in part, neuropathic in nature it might actually help.

Unfortunately, theory rarely translates into practice flawlessly. I haven't tried it myself, but do know of two people who claim to experience a transient exacerbation of ear pain and LDLs when smoking cannabis. Both were suffering from pain H. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give cannabis a try, though!

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      "A friend" of mine used some high potency cannabis oil when they first got tinnitus and all it did was make their tinnitus really loud and caused a lot of anxiety.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have severe hyperacusis with LDLs below 40 decibels. And chronic burning pain in silence most of the time. I tried Rick Simpson Oil specifically to see if it would help with the burning pain. In my case it did not, but I am glad to have made the attempt.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Have you even considered getting the surgery?

6. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, in fact I had the surgery done on one ear in 2016. Unfortunately I was a non-responder and it did not help. Very glad it helped your friend!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I read they’ve since updated the surgery and it now has a much higher success rate. Are you in the Facebook group “Hyperacusis Surgery Success Talk”?

I have a phone consultation on February 10th with a surgeon who does the surgery.

8. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am, it's good to see reports there by a lot of people benefiting. Hope you do as well if you go ahead with it!

9. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      When I smoke pot it makes my tinnitus louder. But after the next day it seems better.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Not long ago I was a 24/7 pothead comfortably living with mild 1/10 T and never noticed a difference. Since damaging my ears at a concert, my baseline T is a 4/10 and pot now cranks it up a notch or two. Seems to change the tone as well. Not sure about pain relief from H. Generally, if you're not in the right state of mind, smoking could exaggerate anxiety and perhaps your perception of the pain not to mention T, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      So what surgery is there for pain hyperacusis? I have never heard of a surgery that helps it, unless you're talking about the oval window reinforcement? I thought it was for loudness hyperacusis.