Hyperacusis Related to Muscles

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leopardi, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Past month my left ear has become incompatible for normal louder conversations. The ear drum muscle will go insane and everything's distorted when someone talks loudly.

Then I found out it is because of muscle tension, as it appeared same time I started doing push ups. When I stretch out my neck and back, it disappears completely. And now, as I did push ups again, it went insane again. Why? Is this usual? Should I stop all muscle training activity because of hyperacusis?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      That is called tonic tensor typani syndrome or (TTTS)
      it is hypothesized to share pathologies with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23571302
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

I subscribe to a hypothesis that states once hearing is damaged some people (not all) develop a neurological defensive mechanism where they have lower sound tolerance or even pain, and tensor typani muscle becomes diligent and lowers it's tolerance level as well to prevent further hearing loss.

Naturally the tensor typani tightens during when we talk loud, or around very loud noises, but when the inner ear is damaged the audiotory brain modifies it's default setting.

3. ozgeA
      Curious

ozgeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I suffer from TTTS but my test results are good. No evidence of hyperacusis or something. İt is weird. @Contrast.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      But why is it enabling or disabling itself with muscle tension?

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      it's usually triggered by loud noise or stress + loud noise.

Do you suspect exercise makes itt worse?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Yes, today I stretched out so it didn't act up at all - but now immediately after doing 3x 10 push-ups it's terrible again.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Is going to a doctor for hyperacusis as useless as with tinnitus? The best they can offer is "you're own your own" and maybe give some TRT papers to go with?

8. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      As far as I’m concerned, based on my own experience, this is a fact, not hypothesis.
      It can go beyond the tensor tympani and even involve sensitisation of the trigeminal nerves. It sucks really bad but not harming in anyway and can go away or diminish (but also can come back).

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      what role do you think the trigeminal nerve plays?

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      tensor typani spasm and pain hyperacusis, and tinnitus are not the same thing but are related... how exactly we don't know but they usually go together with individuals who have a history of loud noise exposure abuse damaging their hearing.

We know tinnitus is neurological, we know hearing loss is related to death of synapses and eventually the cochlear hair cells, we have some clues about pain hyperacusis being caused by outer hair cell nerves sending pain signals. The hypothesis around TTTS is that the tensor typani is trying to protect the ear from futher damage.

11. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Most likely it will at 95%, at least to a slight degree. With this a little influence of cervical canal stenosis, cervical nerve fibers - occipital and the C1 and C2. Very seldom is the reason, carotid artery blockage, vein artery influence, persistent stapedial artery, heart value leakage, coronary heart disease, brain fistula or middle ear myoclonus. . .

Hydration - One can't say I'm good because I just drink a glass of water. Water is required in small amounts throughout the day. Those with tinnitus often have cell and nerve interference and muscles need to have consistence water. Without this salvia glands can become blocked.

Iron is usually needed for TTTS, along with small amounts of magnesium at various times during the day. Acoustic anything as having association with tinnitus will drain magnesium very quickly from the body. B12 and vitamin C levels need to be checked. Glucose metabolism and regenerative antioxidants are needed, but should be used along with getting proper sleep and use of water.

Ear Wax - even the smallest amount.

Tests - MRA first. Complete panel of blood work for blood and cells, thyroid and other complete infection testing.
      Lung and c -spine X rays. CT comes later.

Some will say that sound therapy makes my condition more reactive. Music - a song with a beat will. The brain will program this.

White or pink therapy - a running stream, brook, waterfall or rain is needed from a distance of 10 feet. This needs to be used while sleeping.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The tensor tympani is innervated by the trigeminal nerve. So I guess it gets irritated. When it’s sensitised and I rub my face or around the ears it intensifies the tensor tympani sensations and hum/other sounds.

I would say people with tinnitus and hyperacusis are more susceptible to getting TTTS. It’s partly psychological so the concern about not worsening T that we have might set us up for developing sensitivities like this.
      I never abused my ears but in the past 2 years have had a ridiculous number of unfortunate bad luck noise incidences, plus medical and audiologist incompetencies have contributed.

Sound therapy is the only way to gradually desensitise it, whether by listening to pink noise etc or just ambient everyday sounds like rain and so forth. Positive thinking I think also helps... not being phonophobic or taking ear protection to a ridiculous level.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh and massage your face and around your ears regularly. Even gently around your ear hole. It helps.
      My fluttering almost went away but came back from a brief vibration exposure...not sound (but hey what’s the difference?)

• Agree Agree x 1