Hyperacusis Seems to Be Back :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Mar 14, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I had it really badly, I couldn't bare the sound of my girlfriend as it caused pain which was heart breaking. I then exposed my self to normal sounds and it gradually faded away.

10 days later I have a sore throat, my ears feel blocked like they need to be popped but I can't pop them :( now my H seems to be returning and I'm panicking.

Is it normal for a cold to cause H?

2. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      My tinnitus got way worst when I had a really bad cold. I think it has to do with blocking of the ear tubes. I couldnt pop my ears either and I lost a bunch of hearing during that time, which later came back. Take coldezze or any type of zinc tablets that are meant to lessen the effects of a cold. I dont think a cold will cause H, but it did make me much more sensitive to all of the issues I had with T and H. This sucks. Your getting better and get hit with a cold. Whatever you do, dont return to panicking or it really will make the H worst.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      It's unlikely that you have fully recovered from H given it's been only six months. But I would say you are on the cusp of getting things back to normal. I would give it another 6 months, continuing to desensitize. Eventually you will forget all about it and realize a year from now that you had H at some point in your life and it sucked.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks! It's just strange how it went away completely, I thought I was back to normal then boom.

5. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      It's a good sign mate. It means things are heading in the right direction. It takes less and less to upset your ears. It's happening to me at the moment as well. Just don't try and do too much too soon or you may set yourself back again.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheers, I just worry as I'm going to Disneyworld in 5 months for week, lots of loud noises there!

7. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Generally my way of thinking is, if it goes away for even a minute that means it can and probably will move along in time.
      So far it's worked, in the beginning I only had air T after waking up then it ramped up to ringing 8 months later I wake up in silence and it ramps up to very mild air T.
      Same with hyperacusis in the beginning everything hurt, not unless you're yelling at the top of your lungs next to me or just speaking really loudly next to my ear no sounds hurt anymore.
      Now I'm just waiting for this little sound distortion business to settle.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks!

Usually I'd understand if I had a blocked nose as the ear would be muffled too causing the H.

This time, my nose is completely clear, but my throat hurts and my ears are blocked. IT doesn't make sense to me and I'm so worried again. :(

9. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have you gone to an ent?, maybe your neck is very soar so it's pushing up on the bones in your ear making them sensitive.
      After 8 months my neck is stiff AF so I'm pretty sure it's contributing negatively, but I'm just way too lazy to get it checked out.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had initially for the T.

My throat is just sore, my neck is fine which is odd.

11. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dunno, generally with me it's 3 possible things.
      -Neck problems
      -Ears stuffed due to sinus problems
      -General extreme anxiety which I have only begun after 8 months to sort of let go.
      Excluding the 3rd one the other 2 I should really have checked out as it would probably remove some of the symptoms or at the very minimum decrease my tinnitus a bit since it won't bounce around my stuffed ears.
      I wanted to ask have you ever had your voice kind of bounce around your head during a cold, even before T as after the cold began I can hear my voice a bit loud in my right ear.

12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      "I wanted to ask have you ever had your voice kind of bounce around your head during a cold, even before T as after the cold began I can hear my voice a bit loud in my right ear."

I think that's to do with Eustachian tube ventilation (or lack of it) during a head cold.

13. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I think I had that after the first cold and with the second one it just got blocked more.
      Since I have a really stuffy nose/sinus problems I should really go to the hospital and have my ears/tubes drained.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems to be bad again, just after I accept a new job. I'm so anxious now as I don't want to end up jobless if I can't cope in this new job. It's a quiet environment but telephone rings, staplers etc hurt.

It seems to be more feeling like my ear drums are vibrating with sounds over 70db then actual pain at the moment. What is this? It's hard to explain.