Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've seen some sources mention a cutoff of 3 months. It will be less effective compared to its effectiveness if you were to do the treatment right away. But it might still be somewhat effective...

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Hi Bill, I know that there has been a lot of recent discussion on HBO, but isn't that form of treatment really just for subjective noise related T. Has anyone had good results from having somatic or pulsatile T ?

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know much about TMJ nor about pulsative T...

4. sven1987

sven1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      My tinnitus has been with me for 11 days by exposure to loud noise during a concert and I was wondering if HBOT is really effective at this stage? I'm reading a lot of contradicting info about the effectiviness of the treatment. I would like to try it if there is enough supporting evidence that it works. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it if it really doesn't help.

5. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      What worries me is that some people seem to get worse after HBOT, in this thread I have seen a couple people say their T got worse after HBOT. Do you know if that is a temporary spike or are they permanent?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Doing it within a month of your acoustic trauma is not ideal, but it is not too late to hope for some positive results either...

In my case, the spike was temporary (possibly brought on by the noise in the oxygen chamber). I read that something like 1% might get worse. The chance of getting better is 10 or 20 or even more times higher.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      From my readings, it's most effective when done closest to onset of T. At 11 days out, that seems like a very good time to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      How important is it to do HBOT on consecutive days? I may do it but would skip weekends and probably skip some days during the week because of my job.

Anyone know? Thanks

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At some places, for an extra fee, they can do the treatment in the evenings and on the weekends. Skipping weekends is common, but if given an option, I would pay extra and not interrupt and know that I did all I could...

10. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I am not sure if I should try this again, I tried it once for two days twice on different occasions once my ears hurt a bit from the pressure, but I did not get any improvement.

I am having a bad spike after an MRI 3 weeks ago despite wearing high NRR muffs and plugs but audio-gram shows no changes in hearing. It's expensive in Canada I believe it was 145$ a session last time, and its a 45 mins drive so quite a big commitment for a treatment that is not proven to work .

It's a desperate situation but I don't want that to cloud my judgement so I don't know

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Consider yourself lucky - I was driving over four hours one way, paying $250 per session, and paying for a hotel...

12. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you get any benefit at all from your five sessions?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I didn't experience any immediate benefit. However, I observed some improvement in the months to come (a lot of which may have been undone when I accidentally listened to a phone with my bad ear yesterday, resulting in a spike). Who knows, maybe part of that improvement was due to HBOT?

14. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

When I first tried this treatment I got a new tone -which I very much have to this day - on the morning after my second day so I canceled, I was going to try for 5 days, but it could have been a coincidence but if HBOT was doing any healing this should not have happened. In any case I don't think it's worth the risk who knows the effect of pressure on your ears if you are going to be this doing 10 - 15 days straight, don't divers sometimes suffer from sudden hearing loss?

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sorry to hear that you had to live through that...

16. Reno

Reno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi guys,

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section or if I should have just added my question to an existing thread)

I'm new here (here's my intro thread), T for 12 days after a loud concert, no hearing loss, had 7 days of prednisolone with no effect.

Question 1 :
      I'm strongly considering HBOT at this stage, even though my ENT did not recommend it and stressed that it was not risk-free (barotrauma mainly, or even T getting worst, hearing loss). The ENT also said that research showing improvements for hearing loss with HBOT does NOT necessarily apply to T at all.

So.. it's not clear to me how common problems really are.
      On the one hand this study mentions side effects in just 14.8% of 1115 patients: 157 with ear pain, 12 with hearing loss, 3 with tinnitus.
      On the other hand, this one seems to mention 39% of ears with barotrauma after the first HBOT session, which is huge !!
      And this one says 17% with ear pain and 3.8% with barotrauma !

So, if there's a slight risk, do we have at least one person here who did it in the early stages and saw a clear improvement with their T ?

Question 2 :
      Any recommendations for a good place with solid medical supervision to do that in the UK ?
      In London I can see 3, two seem to be hospital-based and focused on divers, the third one definitely advertises HBOT for hearing/tinnitus, it isn't cheap and the website feels very commercial.. ;)
      Happy to take recommendations in France / Belgium / anywhere in Europe really.
      Feel free to PM me if it is against the rules to mention a doctor / clinic by name.
      Thanks !

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it is hospital-based, it will be done in a room. I think this means lower number of atmospheres, and shorter sessions (compared to an individual chamber). The other one sounds like you would get an individual chamber.

During my five sessions, I saw about 10 other patients in the chambers beside my chamber. None of them seem to have experienced a barotrauma during their sessions. This observation seems to be inconsistent with that 39% barotrauma statistic.

18. Reno

Reno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks !
      What are your thoughts on individual chamber vs 10 people room ?
      I'm afraid to get more claustrophobic in a small space..

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My chamber was made of clear glass-like material. There was a TV there that had Netflix. That might take your mind off of claustrophobia.

One advantage of a room is that there is a nurse there with you. Another possible advantage is that all of the studies of HBOT were probably done at hospitals at those 10-people rooms. Individual chamber people claimed that they can get your body more saturated with oxygen. Hopefully that is a good thing...

20. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Hello everyone!

Tinnitus started about a week ago from excessive amount(s) of Ibuprofen (otoxicity). I'm currently taking Prednisone and Vitamin C as well as Glutathione, per my doctor.

I've been told to come back in two weeks if it doesn't improve/go away.

I'm popping into this thread for some much needed advice -
      If my T doesn't improve, what should I do?

My two primary options are to buy an expensive masking hearing aid and have it configured by an audiologist, or to attempt HBOT.

Either method is quite expensive, and I am not exactly swimming in money right now so I don't think I could do both.

I guess I could attempt HBOT and do hearing aids at a much later date?

Any advice appreciated.

21. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

HBOT now. Hearing aids can wait.

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The plan above makes sense to me.

23. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Thank you for your responses - my only concern with HBOT is that you need at least 15 treatments for it to be effective, that's $3,000 out of pocket for me (There isn't financing where I could go) . I've also read about some cases where it's made it worse?

As I consider myself a pretty unlucky person, that scares me. But, if the vast majority of people that come forward have had improvements or success if done early, that's probably what I'll do.

Could anyone else provide some insight?

Does it matter that my T is from otoxicity and not acoustic trauma?

Thanks!

24. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Ototoxity is not good... HBOT is supposed to stimulate hair cell repair. After acoustic trauma there are still a few parts of your inner ear that can regenerate like the tip links. I do know if HBOT can help Tinnitus caused by ototoxity. Try NAC instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Mark G

Mark G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello guys,

Just wanted some advice before i embark on this .....to HBO or not to HBO?

Heres the facts on my Tinnitus

Cause - Stood in front of an amp with screeching singer for a few minutes too long
      Date - 28/29.06.17 (thats 12/13 days now)
      Hearing report 2 days after - Showing slight sign of damage at mid range frequencies where it dipped from good to mild but nothing out of ordinary.
      Tinnitus - Seems to be in both ears more right started very mild first 5 days but seemed to increase day 5/6 to a faint ring or static buzz
      HBO booked - 13.06.17 (15/16 days from onset) 20 sessions recommended.

Any advice much appreciated. After reading the thread the outcome looks pretty bleak but maybe worth a shot.

Best

Mark

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The conscripts in the first study described on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/
      all got HBOT. They had a good rate of recovery. It can't hurt to try.

If you will be using an individual chamber, you may want to insert earplugs once they reach the top pressure (and don't forget to take them out when they will start lowering the pressure). It gets a little loud in the individual HBOT chamber. You could also ask them to set the rate of flow to the lowest value. That would make it a little less noisy.

Good luck!

27. Mark G

Mark G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks @Bill Bauer . Just reading the report its very through. Did you try it? Yes the lady i spoke to was positive patients noticed a reduction...she also pointed out it could go other way which is worrying.

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had 5 sessions in an individual tank. I had to drive for over four hours one way, and to stay at a hotel. Inside of the tank it was loud, and I wasn't wearing any earplugs. Also the flow-through rate was set to max. By the middle of the fifth session, they changed it to minimum, and this reduced the noise. I noticed that my T got Louder just before I was to do session 6. Now I know that back then I had reactive T (volume increases after being exposed to loud sounds). I stopped my HBOT sessions, and after a couple of days the spike was over. Now I feel bad about not doing at least 10 sessions.

29. Mark G

Mark G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Bill Bauer i feel i would do exactly the same if mine went up. No idea if mine is reactive or not. still not sure about this, maybe i should just let the ear run its natural cause.

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try taking a somewhat long shower. The level of noise will be similar to what you would be exposed to in an HBOT individual chamber. If you experience a temporary spike, yours is reactive.