Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      hey guys....a week with T and i am seriously considering this but terrified of the side effects..its like playing russian roulette with this stuff...would any of you who did hyperbaric chamber or havent done it would still do so knowing what you all know now? Thank you

2. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I had 2 times for 12 days every 1h, nothing, i just noticed that hearing was more demages bcs sound of air leaving a chamber that was high

3. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load sound - Acoustic trauma
      I'm trying to have hyperbaric chamber treatment, but in order to access the chamber, they ask me to do two differents ear tests, one of them being Tympanometry. I was there, ready to begin the test, when the guy told me to be ready to hear some pretty high sounds during the test. And I was shocked. I asked how high? he said 110db. I said, no, thank you and I took the headphones away from me immediately!

I would like to know, is Tympanometry a normal routine test that ENTs ask for after an acoustic trauma? (for someone with tinnitus) Because the ENT also gave me an order for this test. Any experience with this? What should I do? :(

I really need some advice. T is killing me.

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tympanometry is an air pressure test. It shouldn't be loud at all. I have had many of them and I have hyperacusis.

ABR on the other hand, that is loud...

5. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, so weird, in spanish it's called "impedanciometria", wich actually is the Tympanometry according to my research, or I may be wrong... They put some kind of headphones on you and I don't know what happens after that, because I didn't continue.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Tympanometry does not include headphones. It's more of an earbud that makes a seal. It does create a low 220Hz tone, but I never found it to be that loud and I'm sensitive to loud noises.

7. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      My Advice is probably antagonistic but i personally would stay the fuck away from a Tympanometry.

My case is probably 1 in 1000000, but my Tinnitus was caused BY a Tympanometry, i personally found it to be very loud, enough to make we wince but i bared in as i thought they knew what they were doing. and to this day it made my Tinnitus go from 2/10 to 8/10, at first i thought it was a spike but its been 3 months and seen little to none improvement.

Tympanometry is like a stick with an ear bud on the end that goes right into your ear plays sounds/pressure waves that detect the health of the middle ear/any liquid behind the ear drum, i had minor tinnitus due to an ear infection and was told there might be some trapped fluid thats why i got one, but then again i didn't think there would be a risk considering it was a ENT.

My case is a rare one, talking to 2 seperate ENT's they have never heard of Tinnitus due to a Tympanometry ,could of been anything from oversensitive ears to whoever was doing it messed it up.

There is SOME evidence out there that suggets it can make it worse, but about as much Evidence arguing that Vaccines cause Autism.

If you decide to get one for the love of crap if it gets too loud tell the bitch or whoever is doing it to stop, so you wont end up in my position.

#fucktympanometrys

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, fuck! I'm sorry. Now I'm afraid. I prefer to stay away from that test but if I don't do it I'm not allowed to access HBOT. They told me that I will have to hear a beep of 110db for 2 seconds in every ear. Things are getting harder and harder for me.

9. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Question:

What are the noise levels like in the oxygen chamber? And are the pressure changes far worse than in an airplane cabin? I am highly considering this given that the blood is not flowing to my inner ears correctly.

10. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I didn't find it too noisy.. Probably around 70 to 80dB, and probably depends on the chamber.
      As far as the pressure changes go, it depends. If the chamber is an older model, and is pressurized manually by an operator, you can ask him to go slow, according to your comfort level.
      If the chamber is computer controlled then it should be a comfortable ride.

Either way, I'd say book a session, don't be worried about it, and see what you think of it. Worst case scenario you can being some ear plugs with you if you find it to be too noisy.. But I don't think you will.

11. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Juts went into a chamber its loud, loud enough to hurt. I didnt do well in the chamber. The day after each treatment I felt like crap. For me it didnt work. Im now moving on to Neuro and Bio feedback. after 4 treatments some of the hyper active brain activity has been calmed down. God bless us all

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Ecip
      Yea that's pretty loud; especially with air noises, that's frankly dangerous and would certainly not agree well with me.

What would happen if you brought earplugs in? Would that put you at risk for barotrauma if you wore them?

13. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. Can you go visit the hyperbaric oxygen place and have a look, and possibly ask the people there a few questions?

14. Gonz

Gonz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today I went to the chamber, they were going to do a test with me. It was VERY load, so I think I have decided no to do it. And you can't use earplugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    15. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You can't use the earplugs specially designed for airplanes?

16. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know
      I tried hyperbaric for 10 days or a bit more...zero results. I have tried everything from A to Z...you name it, I tried it. I spent about 30k and nothing. Just habituation, not talking to anyone about it. I used to show up here 24/7...haven't been in a long long time...just once in a while checking...

17. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Well, now that there is good evidence my ear problems are vascular, I'm doing it. It's for hearing loss, not T (but I hope it helps the T too!). Hopefully I will be accepted and hopefully I can tolerate the noise

18. BDJ

BDJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      I have learned from this forum about the potential effectiveness of HBOT therapy for tinnitus. I am ~1.5 weeks in, so think I am still within a reasonable, but closing, window for recovery.

I have begun contacting facilities near me and wondered if anyone had any guidance on the following topics:

1. Treatment options near KC.
      2. Any knowledge of this place: http://www.oxygenunderpressure.com/
      3. Any general guidance for US people as to expected cost, insurance (assume it won't cover it), etc.

19. BDJ

BDJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      I found some information today that I wanted to share. I found a chiropractic office in the area that offered HBOT. From my quick search, this was the only non-hospital offering this in the area. Had my first treatment today and plan on 8-10 total. The cost is $50/hour.

20. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2005 Very loud rock concert. 2018 Worsened considerably.
      Hi all. I have Tinnitus from loud noise. Got it from a concert in 2005, and then more recently 2 weeks ago (wore earplugs but T now invasive).

Finding it hard to cope.

Today I went for Hypobaric Oxygen Therapy (1st time).

Compression and Decompression had some noise but it was just hissing and not too loud, but whenever people (inc.) me, breathed o2, it was so loud and noisy I had to wear earplugs and even then I was still worrying.

When you (or any of the other 4) breath in, the O2 is delivered by a metal canister near you, so hear a loud metallic noise. I don't know what to do now.

To continue treatment (it's the only place I can, and it is cheap at £22 a session) or abandon it.

I asked if I could wear ear defenders too. The staff said wearing earplugs or ear defenders is fine.

Today I was at 1.4 pressure and tomorrow it goes to 2.2 I think. I don't wear them at compression (start of dive) but need them throughout the hour session and when surfacing (decompression) as we are told to still breathe so it's still noisy when surfacing.

Is it safe to wear earplugs/earmuffs just for the one hour breathing and decompression, or should I cancel all the appointments I made. I have read it's not safe to wear them during compression and I don't need to breathe o2 then so i leave the earplugs out but not sure about decompression.

Wearing no hearing protection is not an option, it's too loud when you breathe or others breathe.

I really hoped it would be a quiet experience, but it's not. 1 hour of noisy breathing. The sound is like a squeaky metal door opening. My ear damage is from loud noise and ears still sensitive after the loud event two weeks ago so I do worry.

But today (if I go) I am thinking of wearing ear defenders if it's safe?

It was loud even with earplugs in though and I was worried.

Thanks for advice...I'm due to attend in 14 hrs so appreciate any thoughts/advice soon as possible.

Should I knock it on the head or continue and risk my ears?

I have an hour drive on the motorway to this place, so also have Car noise.

Interestingly, I woke up at 4am (it's 5am whilst typing this), but some people said it's the oxygen making it louder.

I am so unsure what to do, but my ears are still sensitive to noise.

Is it worth the risk and still receive O2 therapy, or stop now just in case the noise makes it even louder permanently. Many thanks!

21. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a good price.

22. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe you can find a place with a different chamber. I never wore a mask to inhale oxygen. The whole chamber was pressurized with oxygen.

23. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't unfortunately. Can i wear ear defenders in the chamber, and at what point to put them on? I have to wear them during ascent as it's still very loud. I want to avoid barotrauma. Please help, I dont know what to do....whether to proceed with ear defenders or cancel all appointments.

24. Violetdusk

Violetdusk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any updates? can I wear ear defenders at decompression?

25. PDTemplar

PDTemplar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My hearing results from audiologist:

pmDKZ8D3j.jpg

They pretty much already corroborate what I already knew. The ringing is louder in my left ear and as a result I have trouble hearing the in the 3-7k range. My ringing is close to a pure tone in both ears, at around 6k. I figured this out by writing a quick computer program and checking the frequencies against the ones in my ear that my computer speaker produced. While the tests show what would appear to be very minor hearing loss in my left ear, I do not think that is the case. The blaring 6k tone simply makes is a bit harder to hear tones in that range. I do not think I have any actual hearing loss. I am a 31 year old male, and even with the slight dip in hearing, my hearing is actually much better than other people in my age group according to the audiologist.

I am not sure of what caused my Tinnitus but I think the best 3 guesses would be, mental (stress, anxiety, depression etc), one Benzo injection (specifically 10 mg of Zyprexa during a panic attack), and lastly it could potentially be noise exposure. It could be many things, but those are my best guesses. I introduced myself a few weeks ago on this forum. Since then I have been furiously researching all of the potential solutions to this awful problem. I have unfortunately found that some treatments are better if administered early; specifically a steroid based treatment and HBO (Hyperbaric oxygen). I developed the Tinnitus around 2.5 months ago, so I am still in the window for HBO, but unfortunately not the steroid treatment.

My primary question is, what is everyone opinion on pursuing HBO treatment, the window is closing fast. I only have about 2 more weeks to determine if it is for me or not. I am interested in pursuing other treatment options, but to my knowledge the majority of them aren't as time sensitive as this decision so this thread is primarily to address the issue of HBO, and on that note any other time based treatments that I need to look into during the early stages of this problem. I REALLY hope and pray it goes away on its own, but I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I have seen data that suggests it is about as effective as a placebo:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17159373

But I have also read a variety of stories that claim improvement. It is also worth noting that it seems to be standard procedure in certain parts of Europe that I have am inclined to trust the judgment of.

So to reiterate, what is the verdict on HBO? Please help. Thank you.

26. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      You have normal hearing. Other than that i am not sure what hbo can do/how it works.

27. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I need to do something, my hearing now feels like it's going in and out in both ears. Things are constantly changing and all over the place. I know mine is either stress induced and there's a very small chance it's neck and jaw related but I doubt it.

Would HBOT help from damage caused by an overactive nervous system?

28. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Never know till you try.

29. rpalmquist

rpalmquist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
    30. Shblatt
      Tired

Shblatt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scuba diving accident
      I had a scuba diving injury on July 15, 2016 in Costa Rica. I made it to shore July 18 and started 11 hyperbaric chamber sessions on July 24. The Chamber Dr. was very disappointed i did not begin immediately upon returning to shore. After a dive, I came down with single-sided deafness, vertigo and T. My hearing never returned, the vertigo went away and the T was manageable. The doc said I had a decent shot at getting hearing back if I began hyperbaric chamber visits, like in the first 24 hours. Not sure if that would have helped the T.
      I just had a chiropractic treatment, 9 days ago, and the adjustment sent my T from a serene level 3 to a maddening and crazy level 8. I'm back in the hell. I've tried stinging nettles tea,.,.BIG HELP for relaxation and nerves.