I am Confused About Habituation...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Jul 10, 2014.

1. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Martin that small period where you did not concentrate on the sound to me is a sign that you can eventually habituate. I wish there was a step-by-step guide to help but. It's thame thing but for extended periods. Goodluck martin.

2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I think the same. I had never ear issues, even cannot remember fleeting T.
      I had no healthy issues at all.
      Then, T (and some other things) started full blast, loud, high-pitched. An explosion in my head. Horror.
      So you cannot simply say after a week or month: Hey ok, I now have a dog whistle in my head. So what?
      Your whole life is around T and getting rid of it.
      Therefore, the best approach as recommended by everyone, is to live life - as difficult as it seems.
      The more important other things become, the less important T can be.
      Time will do the rest.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Thanks my friend.
      Yes, when I am on the driving range. :)
      For every ball I play, T is not there.
      Besides that I think that our brain/body just needs getting used to it.
      A day for me without any masking is a success.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Sorry if I use 'habituate'. I only started using the word habituation is when I found this site. Yes there is no time limit and yes there may be setbacks and relapses. There came a time when I was living with 'T'. Next thing I know tens have come and in a relapse. I call those ten years living life. That should be a 'T' sufferer's goal. How does it happen? Time.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Ken,
      How loud is/was your T you habituated to?
      What frequency?
      Nevertheless I think one can habituate to loud T.

6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Martin69 , 24 years ago I was told and I forgot. I consider my T loud! I do not need to know frequency. At its loudest I can't mask it. The goal for me is to adjust to whatever it is.
      Ken

• Like Like x 1
    7. Nich
      Batty

Nich Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      This post is really helpful. And i completely see that the reaction to the T is the limiting factor to not actively hearing it in myself. My T has decreased in loudness in the last couple weeks. And now I have days where I don't hear it as much as 50-60% of the day. But give me a day where my anxiety flares and I hear it 100% of the time and it causes more anxiety and panic. Its a stupid cycle. Today it is quiet but I'm still being really bothered because of my anxiety. Whereas Monday - Wednesday I had no anxiety and it literally was a non-issue (those days were so amazing!)
      Before the onset of my T I had been having prodromes of an onset of a panic attack flare. Then one night in bed the T began. I woke up that night in a panic attack. I honestly think I had the unforunate co-occurence of a loud T flare (i had very mild tinnitus for several years) and the onset of a panic flare. Now I think it's just a matter of separating the anxiety from the T. But as we all know that's no small task.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Kathi

Thanks for your kind comments. I have had pulsatile tinnitus for four years now, and I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. It hasn't gotten any worse, and actually seems to have gotten better recently. I have had a number of tests, and nothing unusual was found. So --- I have decided to live with this condition, and try to habituate to it. That's why it's taking me so much longer than the average to habituate to my tinnitus.

I think you are definitely on the right track by remaining in the working world; it actually helps to distract your mind from the tinnitus! I'm still working, too, although I work part-time now (I'm an office manager). I find that the day-to-day structure of going to work, plus the distractions it offers, really helps. I would recommend work as a means of habituation to anyone. Don't give up on life! Go out there and live it!

@Ken219,

Yes, I agree with you that your tinnitus is not caused by drugs, since it happened a long time before your heart condition happened. Those drugs have definitely been a life-saver for you, and I believe you are very lucky!! Hopefully, you will be able to habituate again soon to your tinnitus; it just may take some time.

Very best wishes to all in the quest for habituation,
      Karen

9. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      No. It's not a cure because if someone says, "Do you have tinnitus?" or maybe they think about tinnitus, then they will hear it. If you talk about tinnitus to a person without it they won't hear it.

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Kathi, cullenbo said a mouthful.
      I've had T for over 40 years. A year or so ago I came to this forum because I was getting a little nutty about my T. Someone here posted an article about how it is SO important NOT to measure your T. Measure your reaction instead. I've tried many things throughout the decades but nothing worked as well as 'Measuring my response.' It's not about my T anymore, get it? And gladly, it's fading.
      Habituation? Well, if I ask myself if I'm habituated, I ask myself if I can hear my T. Yes, I sure can. So I quit listening for it. When it pops into my life, I stop what I'm doing and say, "I hear it, but I'm busy, happy, and I guess today I'm not bothered by it." OR, "I hear it and I want to climb the wall. But I'm happy I didn't hear it till after breakfast." Or something like that. I've found that gauging habituation, listening FOR the T, and just plain worrying about it only makes it worse.
      Advice from a 40 year T'er.... Measure your response to your T, not the T. It changes things. This is a pattern of positive action.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1