I Am Now Pretty Sure My Tinnitus Came From TMJ

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christian_B, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      So, i went to a dentist today which took some X-rays of my jaw and teeths. On the X-ray we could see that my jaw was pushed up towards the ears more than "normally"

Another thing is i've had a new "sound" which is a low clicking.. and after doing some research i found out that these low clicking is from something pressing on the ear, which USUALLY is TMJ related.

Source:
      http://www.randombio.com/tinnitus.html

The reason i went to the dentist primarily was because of a bad tooth in my right side and because of that i only chew with my left side, which has been like that for 2+ years. He then told me that my jaw maybe would get back to normal balance if i started using both sides again.

I also talked with a physiotherapist which asked me some questions about if i was hypermobility, and concluded i was. And she told me that many with hypermobility gets problems with their jaw..

My question is, does any have the same issues like me and if did you found out a successful way to treat it? the physiotherapist told me to come to her and be treated.. but i'm gonna wait a bit with that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hey Christian I had limited jaw movement was hard to chew food I ended up having TMJ surgery on my left side the oral surgeon said the MRI showed scar tissue and inflamation in the joint. I was also hoping that the surgery would help my T unfortunately my T is still there but it is more tolerable. T is bad enough to deal with when you toss in TMJ too it get almost unbearable...hang in there man

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      I dont really have any real pain or problems moving my jaw, i think my TMJ is from chewing on one side and my hypermobility which the physiotherapist thinks can be fixed. My main frustration is the tinnitus. Im only a bit sore and got clicking when moving my jaw or swallowing.

Tbh, when us with TMJ got tinnitus, i think it's treatable for most of us.

I really hope it will get fixed some day, and im pretty sure it will :)

Good luck to you as well!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
    6. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      I was diagnosed with TMJD 2 yrs ago and had T since 2006. My x-ray shows slightly worn out joints and was told I have a cross bite. Apparently my doc is of the opinion that if my T is caused by my TMJD, the splint would help. In my case, it only helped with the pain.

I hear a clicking sound at times, even when I jog. It also causes a weird moving sensation in my ear at times. My doc dismissed that has just the opening and closing of the jaw. I have tried chiropractic treatment and physio. I am not sure if physio helped but at least it didn't make it worst as I was told by the doctor not to have massages on the neck or lie down in certain positions.

So yeah, my T has been getting louder without any known reason or treatment in sight.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Yeah, since TMJ is not a one-fix solution thing, it can be hard to find the right treatment for sure.

Another thing the physiotherapist told me was that a normal treatment period was around 2 years. So i guess you need to be patient with those kind of treatments.

AND! finding the right doctor seems pretty hard as well..

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm still looking for what caused my T. It consists of a ringing sound (a 'beep', a 10 kHz sine wave). I also hear dull clicking noises when moving my jaw. Is that what you experience too?

I have never been diagnosed with TMJ. In fact, I'm not even sure the doctors over here have heard of it. I am being treated for a misaligned jaw and two missing permanent teeth. This treatment started long before I got my T and I'm not completely sure whether I should finish it. I'm not sure if it caused the T, will cure the T or is totally unrelated :confused:

May I ask if your T suddenly appeared or gradually arose?
      Mine went from nothing to full-on within a weekend.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Im no doctor but misaligned jaw could be some TMJ thing.

I got a sound which is clicking, its not the clicks i hear when i swallow or move my jaw.

I woke up a night 4 months ago with tinnitus, went away and got back the night after.. i've had it ever since :/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. I'd expected TMJ-induced T to slowly arise, but apparently it is possible for it to appear at once.

11. SethL
      Thinking

SethL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/14
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown-woke up one day with it
      I also believe that my T came from TMJ. I have had a popping in the left side for several years. It was getting worse so I went and saw a TMJ dentist and he fitted me with a mouth guard to wear at night. He also very slightly ground several teeth to promote my bite to move ever so slightly forward. The guard promoted my lower jaw to slightly move forward and also prevented any grinding of my teeth at night. I wore the guard for several months off and on and then all of the sudden the T showed up. The T also just so happened to show up in the left ear, which is the same side as the TMJ.
      Have any of you also had a hearing test that showed hearing loss? Only in my left ear, my audiogram showed some loss at about 4000hz. Anyone who has TMJ related T also have hearing loss?