I Didn't Even Know I Had It!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JP123, Sep 29, 2016.

1. JP123

JP123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello - A chance encounter with a medic on an offshore oil platform was a bit of a surprise.
      I was friendly with this lad so I was often in his office chatting and I mentioned how there was rarely any quiet time. He agreed (being on an oil rig there are always noises of some kind, machinery, doors, A/C etc.) further on in the conversation he realised that in my situation there was always some kind of ringing in my head . He told me I had Tinnitus. I just assumed everyone had this ringing. This was a bit of a nuisance as I now had a problem that 10 minutes previously didn't existed!
      That was probably 15 years ago, so I have no idea when I got it.
      In that industry have regular hearing tests and I now realise that my hearing test has been getting worse. This due to certain frequencies being masked by the ringing.
      I also assume it is a little like pain. Nobody really knows how bad their situation is compared to others, I have got on with mine and although it is always there I can pretty much ignore it. I am now finding that harder though, especially watching the TV, probably because my hearing in general is failing.
      One thing over the years I have noticed, It is worse when I am de-hydrated.
      OK I am off to look at the quack remedies!!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      A warm welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Thank you for sharing your story and hope your tinnitus settles down.
      Keep up your positivity. ...lots of love glynis