I Didn't Realize There Are So Many of Us Out There — I Feel Supported by Reading All the Discussions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paul O, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Paul O
      Batty

Paul O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tinnitus Talk. Just want to say how much support I feel from just reading the various threads here. I have been feeling so isolated with this condition and today is a really bad day. I don't feel so alone as I realise there are so many of us out there.

Thank you all so much.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

I see that you have had tinnitus since 2020. If you are sure that stress caused your tinnitus, once it is brought under control, the tinnitus should lower and hopefully go completely away. Since you have been reading various threads, you may have read that exposure to loud noise is one of the most common causes of it. The regular use of any type of headphones including wearing a headset can cause tinnitus, as some people are not aware of listening to audio through them at too high a volume. Exposure to other types of loud noise can cause tinnitus too.

All the best,
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul O
      Batty

Paul O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you, Michael; I have read many of your posts which are really informative.

4. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      This right here is key. I was fine when I was listening to music through headphones at low volumes. I even had noise induced tinnitus after a concert which went away in two years. All that time I was listening to music at LOW volumes through quality headphones, peaking at about 40-50 dB maximum, most of the time it was around 30-40 dB.

But then I bought a new pair of even better headphones and made the mistake of listening to music too loud, I estimate, with peaks at 85 dB. Tinnitus returned and I even have hearing loss now after an acoustic trauma following the tinnitus onset, I believe, because of the sound sensitivity induced by headphones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments Paul. If any of my posts resonate with you then I'm pleased.

Take care,
      Michael

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Tau, anyone that has noise induced tinnitus risks making it worse even when listening through headphones at low volume. It is playing Russian roulette with one's health.

Hope the tinnitus calms down for you soon.
      Take care.

Michael