I Don't Know What Exactly Caused My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Noir fifty, May 27, 2017.

1. Noir fifty
      Angry

Noir fifty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys

I'm 13 years old.

I remember last year I got slapped in the ear by the friend. I didn't see a rupture but the ear started ringing and I put an ice pack on the ear and waited. Eventually all the ringing went away.

This year (I think) I got slapped once again, I didn't treat it at all, put a bit of water to try and lessen the redness. There was ringing and it eventually stopped, it was the same ear I believe.

Every Wednesday I do nearly an hour of drum practice. With no ear plugs. Usually it ain't too loud unless another guy is playing the drums with me making quite a bit of noise

Every day now all of a sudden I am in my bedroom which is very quiet, I have a low pitch ringing in my left ear, I was thinking st first, 'maybe it is the room tone. I stuck my finger in my ear to see if it is a room tone, and I noticed it sounded like it came from my ear. I started to get worried.

Also when I started to notice it more my noise is blocked and runny, and I have a cough.

I don't know the cause. What should I do? I don't want to live with Tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I think its a spike and should settle down so do what you can to relax .
      Make sure you wear ear protection from now on as you will be putting your ears in danger that could become perminant.
      Other factors can cause it love a virus so all we can do is protect them from loud sounds and just be aware of other causes.
      Keep sound on around you if your tinnitus keeps you awake ....
      We are here around the clock to support you.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure

There are many causes which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up feeling pressured, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure, acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as flights, slapping of the ears, grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, elevated stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc. If the cause is acoustic trauma, then try a course of prednisone to see if it will help.

4. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hey @Noir fifty , I used to play the drums. Thing is, you can get used to loud sounds. Playing the drums is fun, but it's also loud. If you plan to continue doing this activity, please get some earplugs. They are cheap, but in the long run will make a good job protecting your hearing. You are young now, I feel like those boring adults telling you to behave, but earplugs are great and will make a difference. After a while you'll get used to them and will miss them when your not wearing them to play (and only then you'll realize how loud playing the drums can be). Also, keep playing, you're about to get to that age that girls will like you for being a drummer, that's a plus ;)

As the Tinnitus itself, a lot of people have something to blame for their Tinnitus, but a lot of doctors will tell you that no-one is really sure why some people develop Tinnitus, some won't. The best thing you can do is to keep living your life and protect yourself in loud situations.

Best,
      Zug