I Ended Up Looking Like a Fool

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Sep 11, 2014.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Last night, a friend that I don't see that often came to visit with his 17 yr old.
      The young boy plays drums and also is into DJ-ing, organising parties for 200-300 young kids like himself.

So we can all imagine the volume in, probably, a small space with that many kids!!!

I openly asked my friend if his son is using ear protectin, he just looked at my bluntly saying: what for? If anything he'll just be half deaf like me, hahahaha

Funny? Maybe now, but in few years maybe no so!

I tried my best but he just said I worry to much.
      Wonder why????:(

Is it really wise to go into conversations like this

• Like Like x 1
    2. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      When I wear my ETY•Plugs 20 earplugs in loud places I look funny.
      But who cares, I protect myself and sometime I hope to benefit from it.
      I keep trying educating people about ear protection, but people don't give a s.... unless they meet the T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      You provided the warning and you did a good deed. That kid will be a future TT member and he will look back and remember your advice that he didnt take.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ha i know someone who works at an airport in new york, hes 23 and works on bringing the planes in when they land. Hes supose to wear hearing protection like the others bit when i ask him he just goes fuck that i know i should but i dont like the way they fit my head its uncomfortable. He says daily hes bringing in JET planes standing right nex to them. What is that like 140 db??? He says never gets ringing ears afterwards and nothin wrong with his hearing. On top of that this guy goes to concerts/clubs ALOT. Sure he could be the lucky one that does not end up with T but hes just damaging his hearing daily idk how he couldnt. And hes constantly listenin to ipod. I dont get it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Nothing to feel foolish about, you definitely did the right thing.. People just don't care until they are afflicted and by then its too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I would say it depends. For sure, my younger brother - who is 15 - has taken my advice pretty seriously. Likewise, my older brother - who is 42 - has also taken my advice pretty seriously (and passed on the the information to my nephew and niece who are twins and 16 years old).

They know me, I am no weakling, and they have seen the effect tinnitus has had. They are not laughing. That's for sure.

At one time, there was a "hot chick" at the fitness centre I go to. I was doing the circuit training session, and could hear her playing music through her earbuds several metres away with her iPod. There is background music at the studio playing at roughly 70 db, and so the tracks she was listening to must have been pretty loud (since I could hear it). Some 5-6 minutes into the circuit training, I had a 30 sec. break, and decided to let her know that playing music at that level might not be the best idea. She just looked at me like I was an idiot (and probably thought it was an excuse to chat her up). Little did she know that I am the first person in the world to have gone through two stem cell treatments in order to cure tinnitus at a cost of more than $50,000. Tinnitus is no joke. But... "against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain". So what could I do...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      The other day on the bus young bloke was listening to the music through his earbuds, it was sooooo loud I could clearly hear it few seats away.
      It was tempting to get up tell him what I think but..... I didn't, complete stranger may think I'm out of my mind or something.

Do you also find shopping centres to be way too loud these days?
      Expecially shops for youngers?
      Bloody music blaring away like there's no tommorow!
      In the shops I don't hesitate to tell them "off" for the loud music, it seriously puts me off from going in and spending my money.
      My daughters say I'm embarassing

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Generation Def

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Reading all above,some people are born to be dumb,all there entire lives .Parent like Valeri mentioned what an answer to give to someone trying to avoid the son from getting T ,and the dad,old enough to know better.Rather see his kid in tears in later life from T ,good parenting hey .
      Followed by another couple twits Jet engine no ear protection ,to ear blasting music loud enough for another to hear .Beggars belief really does .hope they remember you telling them if T heaven forbid ever happens in the future
      Done what you could ,all you can do .Walk in my shoes hey .

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      This is why I have thought of studying audiology. Also so I can not be like the audiologists we rant about on this board.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      You did the right thing. What I would have given to have someone warn me about tinnitus and hearing loss. Like most people, I didn't know what tinnitus was. I work with the youth of ages 5 to 25 on a regular basis. I have literally warned all of them about tinnitus and hearing loss. I play a demo of what my tinnitus sounds like and tell them to try and fall asleep with it. They are all scared. One kid doesn't even listen to his headphones anymore. In a way, if my advice helps prevent it in someone else then I'm glad I got tinnitus and they don't. Does tinnitus suck? Like you have no idea. Atleast today is one of the better days.

Btw, you did not look like a fool at all. Keep warning others hen you get the chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I actually had a student who goes to a lot of concerts and I warned her about T and noise exposure seeing bands like fall out boy etc... She told me she bought some earplugs and thanked me as she took them out for a second at the last show she went to and finally realized how loud it really is.

• Like Like x 2
    13. inadmin

inadmin Member

The "bill" will come and will have to be paid, there will be no escape from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Maybe you should tell them what the good part of hearing loss is: I tell them that the good part of hearing loss is that you go deaf! That bad part is what you will get in return.....

I have a couple of friend that like my like to drive motorbikes. Only 1 of them, like me, always wears full earplugs, always. I do mean the cheap ass foam one, because those are the best! The others are simply not ready to listen...

• Like Like x 1
    15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My gf has mild T, sees the suffering I endure with severe T and still hits night clubs, she says if her T gets worse, she doesn't care. Tells me she will just ignore it, no big deal.

I give up warning people, just falls on deaf ears.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I sometimes try to warn people too now, makes me feel sad sometimes that I have always been pretty carefull with my hearing compared to some but I still end up with having it while the others just get on with there lives, I guess life is unfair like that.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I applaud you, @valeri, along with @attheedgeofscience, @SoulStation and all the others here who speak up when they see others abusing their ears, unknowingly laying the foundation for future tinnitus and/or hearing loss.

Yes, some people may blow you off or get annoyed. But you never know: YOU may be the person that saves someone from the terrible disorder we all suffer from. You aren't fools. You are heroes. Be proud. Be compassionate. Speak up!

We ALL should do this. God knows, I don't see our health departments or hearing/tinnitus associations or concert
      promoters or anyone else doing a very good job.

I talk about my tinnitus, and the dangerous ways in which you can get it, to servers in noisy restaurants, landscapers I see running leaf blowers with no ear protection, kids of my friends and in my classes who go to concerts or are plugged into ear buds all day --everyone. We all should spread the word: Don't have a Deaf Wish! Don't be afraid to be a one-person public service campaign. You can change lives.

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      When people ask what its like and why it could get worse or that they dont think they would ever get T cause there superman i just say how bout i force you to stare into the sun for 5 mintues and then they say "it would hurt and id go blind " and im like see moron its the same thing with our ears if were exposed to too much overtime or ONE time our ears can shatter and end up with T point blank. Everyone walks around with sunglasses if the suns too bright or cause they like to look sexy but nooooo one thinks bout pluggin there earholes when shit gets too loud... Noooooo ofcorse not cause thats too dumb and unnessesary to them. Oh well in the end some will end up here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1