I Finally Have Some Relief. This Is What I Learned:

Discussion in 'Support' started by remi, Jan 28, 2016.

1. remi
      Fine

remi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2015
      Hello,

My trouble started in February 2015. All of a sudden, I heard a "tinny" echo in my right ear and wondered what the hell was going on. I immediately saw my ENT (established after an ear infection in my left ear the year before). He gave me cortisone pills and then injections into my middle ear. At the same time, I went to acupuncture twice a week. I had hearing loss, which was more manageable to me than the tinny echo.

After the injections and the acupuncture, the tinny sounds went away. There was a very mild tinnitus that lessened over time. All seemed okay. And then it got better in the summer, when I was away and had a lot of avenues for stress reduction.

And then....it came back ten-fold in September. The tinnitus was loud, I found myself with hyperacusis, and there were moments when the tinnitus was so loud it would wake me at night and interfere with daily life. I could hear it on the noisy streets of my New York neighborhood. I felt insane. I wanted to run. I cried all the time.

My ENT told me there were no answers and prescribed an anti-depressant and sent me on my way. I was told to meditate, reduce stress, and accept it. I tried all of that. I saw another acupuncturist. I checked for thyroid problems, I changed my diet to support my adrenal system, saw a chiropractor weekly, got massages, I started drinking tea like it was my job. I listened to white noise. Over and over again: Therapy, exercise, meditate, tea, white noise machines.......

I continued to get really loud tinnitus at various moments. And I refused to give up on finding an answer. I found another ENT, and another -until he tested me for Meniere's. AND I read that TMJ and bruxism contribute to tinnitus. I saw my dentist and got a night guard. I got off anti-depressants (SSRI), started HCTZ for water retention, and wore my night guard every single night.

I haven't had a severe moment for over a week and I have to imagine that it's a combo of the diuretic and the night guard, supported by stress reduction activities and exercises. For me, I truly believe that it's my bruxism. I have all the other symptoms: headaches, neck and back aches, jaw aches, clenching. But my first ENT never even asked me questions related to TMJ, TMD, bruxism, or whatever.

My point is: don't give up! you don't have to "live with it" without relief or knowing a cause of some kind! SOMETHING is causing your tinnitus. I don't know what the future holds for me. I still can't hear well, but my tinnitus is lower, the hyperacusis is less severe, and I can have days when don't remember that I have tinnitus at all (or at least until the quiet nighttime). And for me, that's success in my treatment.

Keep trying - find a doctor who can help. see your dentist. research current prescription medications that may be contributing to tinnitus. seek alternate support (i.e. diet).

Like I said, I don't know what tomorrow may bring, but today I can breathe a little and rest a bit, have a normal day, and stay positive.

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. I can't sleep without my custom mouth guard anymore. I used to grind my teeth so bad I had to get a root canal.

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I use a night guard, but I have severe hearing loss in my right ear, so my T isn't going anywhere in the near or distant future. }:-(

Glad you have relief, enjoy every second!

4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Sailboardman Hey SBM have you tried hearing aids? You'd think if you could improve your hearing that your T would diminish somewhat

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      remi
      Fine

remi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2015
      Hello again - my tinnitus hasn't gone away, I just want to be clear. But it is lower and those moments of severe and intensely loud tones haven't been present for a week. I got a ton of relief from white noise and I understand that many hearing aids have a white noise function. The tinnitus is what made me want to crawl out of my skin and that's my area of focus at the moment. Thanks for the "likes" and responses :)

6. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Been wearing a hearing aid / masker for over a year. I hear better, but my T is way beyond that! My masker is set at 65db's and 90% of the time, my T easily masks the masker. It's beyond intrusive, it's cruelty. }:-[

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      remi
      Fine

remi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      february 2015
      Hi Sailboardman, I am just curious about what is happening for you. I do have hearing loss and was told it was a virus. But the treatment for this virus was not effective. Hence, the antidepressants. Have you been tested for Meniere's? My new and trustworthy ENT said that the pressure in my ears is within the normal range but he put me on low salt and diuretics. I have the night guard, too, so I am working with two variables. I wonder if this has been explored for you. I have suffered so much and feel for where you are, especially emotionally.

8. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Sailboardman Sorry to hear that man .... T sux people have no clue what we endure day after day
      Keep fighting SBM

• Like Like x 1