I Got Over My Tinnitus, And You Can Too...

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Abe Shouli, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Abe Shouli

Abe Shouli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/21/2015
      Greetings everyone!

I know this post might look too good to be true, I thought it was too when I was banging my head against the walls because of the tinnitus I had, but I have thankfully gotten over it, and as far as I know, it is completely gone.

I recall it so clearly because of all the emotions it built up...

November 20th 2015 - I had returned from an awesome concert thinking "man, life is good, tonight was fun." All was well till I set my head on my pillow and all I could hear was the loud, high pitched ringing noise. I immediately panicked crazily and googled my symptoms (which, by the way, I advise no one to EVER do.) I basically lost my shit and just scared myself into a black spiral of hopelessness. The next week consisted of me crying and going from literally doctor to doctor, pharmacy to the next and trying endless homeopathic because I thought I had lost my peace of mind, my once quiet life was gone. And it only got worse because for the next 4 months, I had fallen into a dark state of depression because of it. Problems I never thought I had became symptoms and I turned into a hypochondriac who thought anything that could go wrong absolutely could. I was miserable. I was always trying to fight it. Always. I was never able to beat my brains perception of this awful thing that was happening to me.

A friend of mine noticed my misery and always tried to help me, till one day he told me this very wise and useful peice of information, he said:

"Abe, sometimes we feel defeated and destroyed, and all we ever do is strive to return to that happy state we were in, we look endlessly for solutions and we never find them because we are so actively searching... sometimes you just HAVE to allow yourself to break down and thoroughly understand and accept what's going on so that you may move on, your body and mind will heal itself and when you are at peace in your mind, your body may follow. Allow yourself to breakdown so that you may heal on your own, stop fighting it"

Guys, I slowly (very slowly) changed my views on life and tinnitus. I allowed myself to be sad and scared, I felt every feeling freely and allowed it to consume me so that I may heal from it on my own. The more I fought the monster the more it fought me back. I guess I kinda had to play dead for a while for it to go away...

I allowed myself to accept what the truth of my tinnitus was, and with time I just ignored it.. and guess what? I kid you not, day by day, I thought about it less and less and with time it dissolved away.

I truly believe the anxiety and stress we carry on with us towards tinnitus is what allows it to grow so very much in our heads. Meditate guys, exercise, eat healthy. Love yourself and watch it go away.

Side note: EVERYONE has a slight note of tinnitus, it's the sound of silence. We just notice it a lot more than others and sometimes freak about it. Don't let it get to you.

Enjoy your life, it's okay. Peace and blessings to you all.

Please reach out to me if you need to.

• Like Like x 11
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Seriously?

3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @Abe Shouli
      That's wonderful dude, you got a second chance in life BUT you need to provide us with more info. Was your tinnitus in one or both ears and/or in the head, was it mild/loud? How long did it take to go away?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      He is being very optimistic with his "EVERYONE has tinnitus" statement.. -- I would love to go back to my "previous tinnitus"! Ha ha..

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Wonderful post, but I agree with @vermillion - please write a more detailed story of your journey with T. Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I disagree. I've seen studies that mention that 60% of the people say they can hear T in soundproof rooms. I think those are the people who had attended concerts. I have never attended a concert. I have T in only one ear (the result of a one-time acoustic trauma). My other ear has always been completely silent.

7. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      I disagree too. Not everybody has T.
      Who told you this?

8. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      How to post a success story on TT:
      1) write it
      2) publish it
      3) get DESTROYED for being optimistic (and a little naive maybe)
      4) profit....?

...guys, really?

_____

I'd love to hear more about your recovery though :)

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Funny post! It has though a portion of reality. But I believe the keyword is "naive". I believe any of us would be glad to be in that position. Keep a naive part in our souls, because we overcame this curse, because we got a second chance and we stepped again into the light. That means smile, relief and optimism. @Abe Shouli feels optimistic and why blame him? He may as well never enter this forum to provide us with more info, and frankly why blame him? On the other hand those who sometimes get pissed off by the naivety of the lucky ones are usually the ones who suffer a lot by this demon. There's no need to blame them as well. I know it's nice to read success stories and everybody would wish the same for everyone. However which sufferer, while reading a success story, haven't ever had this "Why can't I get rid of this shit, as well?" moment? It's totally acceptable. Being tortured everyday, not being able to have even just a second of relief is an experience which can turn oneself into a totally different person to the point not recognizing himself anymore. That's what chronic illness is. A painful manifestation of degeneration and deterioration. So friends anger is acceptable cause life can be really cruel for some people. It's a necessary phase before reaching acceptance, IF you ever reach acceptance. I am happy and envy of @Abe Shouli. Every human being deserves some quality of life. I hate tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      It comes up a lot though still. The physiological tinnitus heard in an absolute silence environment has no equivalency with the pathological tinnitus that gets heard over a passing truck.

• Agree Agree x 10
    11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I go back and forth between my "previous tinnitus" and very loud days that make me nuts. I've posted this before, but I've gotten A LOT better. I understand what he means here - I have days that had I never been thru the ringer, I'd never classify the sound in my ears as tinnitus. I'd probably not notice it. I notice it a lot now though, despite it being a gentle hiss.

12. iDred

iDred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      What I found with T without reading anything about it is that I assumed everyone has it but most people are not aware of it. The reason for this is that I was a bit obsessive about things when I was younger and which I noticed T it became really amplified.

Really quiet places like in my car at night with the doors closed it would be really loud.

I tried to think back to how this could have happened and wondered if it was because of overfilling my bike tire years ago and stuff like that. But the simple deal was I probably always had it and it is just the sound of silence.

I quickly forgot about the T and it was gone 100%, it had to take me lots of concentration to hear it again.

That being said, I was fine for 20 years until I developed what I think is Cochlear Hydrops which killed some of my low frequency hearing. Because of this I got T in that ear which is more like a very quiet river to sometimes a very quiet ring.

Even though it is more prominent I can luickly tune it out because I already accepted the fact that everyone has T and your brain tunes it out.

However, a couple of times after waking up I had a very loud T that was maybe a 7/10 volume level. This was rather annoying but lucky so far that it goes away after a few hours. My ear also feels like there is water in it at that time it gets really loud.

Even with that loud ringing, I would be able to tune it out for most of the day, although maybe not the whole day.

Without doubt it is up to you to tune it out and not be obsessive about it. It takes to accept that everyone has T and your brain either brings it to your attention or it doesn't.

13. MSMARKO

MSMARKO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's true. There is natural low tinnitus everyone has. I was aware of it when I was 6 or 8. It's the sound of the equipment. Woman and men hear different frequencies

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      Totally true. When i am listening to my second Tinnitus, which is inside my head, i can swear i have always heard it. Just not that loud and that annoying. Maybe it has something to do with the mild hyperacusis i have also. When i enter a room with an old TV switched on, i start picking some really dreadful sounds. I never liked wathing TV anyway ... and now it's more like a torture doing that :D So thank you T!

15. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      I too hear some interesting sounds when the TV or radio is on sometimes, but I don't have hyperacusis. Weird.

• Like Like x 1
    16. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is very low. I mean ... loud noises has always been a problem with my hearing. And i always hear sounds that other people don't notice. But now it is more intrusive. Maybe it is not correct to call it hyperacusis, i don't know. But sounds are more amplified for me and something that doesn't bother the others, can cause me pain.

Maybe it has something to do with my sense of smell. Which is so dull ... i can easily say it is next to non-existent. Only some very strong smells i can pick up and only if they are next to my nose. Like alcohol ... But i can't tell what it smells like. Only that it is strong :D

So i tend to look on my T like just another defect i have to live with. Nothing scary, just annoying :D

17. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It sounds like you've got some superhuman powers to me. lel.

Seriously, last night I was asleep and a strange sound ( a robotic sci-fi sound) coming through my pillow woke me up. Then I realized it was the sound of a new whatsapp notification coming from my phone under the pillow. The thing is, my phone was on the silent mode at that time. Ultra weird.

• Like Like x 1
    18. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOL. If i do have such powers, i think i pulled out the short straw :D Like i was the test subject and got all the negatives :D

Seriously though, i would advise to stay away from your phone at night. Just put it in the other room or the other side of the room. It might seem as a over-protecting, but you never know ...

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      for me as long as I don't have any health issues or Hearing loss
      I am totally OK with it

20. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      That's good @Abe Shouli ! But as so often here. There are various degrees and types of tinnitus. I try to live my life to the fullest but my tinnitus can't be ignored. It's really loud and changing every second with several noises, as for many others here. You can't ignore that but you can work on to get strong and try to live with it anyway.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Actually I usually put it away from my bed but that night I was trying not to die on my couch after having a HUGE pizza with garlic sauce on it.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Believin' Steven
      Cowboy

Believin' Steven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged use of in ear headphones during sleep
      You and I have similar T. I'm 1 1/2 months in and I hope to get back to life, was considering dropping out of Uni but I know if do that I will have let the noise win. People like you inspire me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

This thread is really interesting. I personnaly agree with @Abe Shouli : YES, everyone can hear a little hissing/ringing in silence. I realized it when my real T started 2 years ago (noise induced). After it occured I did ask a lot of friends and my family. Guess what ?

Around 70% of them answered : "Yes, but it's the sound of silence, isn't it ?".

Around 30% of them answered : "I don't understand what you mean with ringing".

It seems like when you don't know what T is, you can't hear it. It's not because you don't hear it that you don't have it. Your brain just take it as a normal thing, like "breathing is normal", "there is always our nose in our field of view"...

The only thing I want to know is the difference between the common T which everyone have" and the noise induced T.

Moreoever, I think that some of T sufferers just increased the common T by focusing on it

24. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I have also heard a noise in total silence my entire life. And I too used to call it the sound of silence.

25. Sweetiepiestef

Sweetiepiestef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure maybe ETD?
      @CaRd I can not smell at all either for my whole life so my hearing has been super strong lol... SO I think that is why I am even more affected by the T and it is causing headaches. Annoying!

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Joe J

Joe J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj
      Bro write a follow up post.

27. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Abe Shouli
      Thank you Abe, I really enjoyed your post and find it inspiring. Some day I will write a success story…….for now though I have been struggling for three months with "head T." I am grateful I joined this forum and have received amazing support and enjoy the success stories like yours.