I Got Sucked in to the Sonus Complete Tinnitus Scam

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blondierocks, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Blondierocks
      Psychedelic

Blondierocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic
      Hi everyone,

My story - I am a singer in a few bands, and I suffer from tinnitus :( I have had it since I was a child as early as I can remember, so I have lived with this for basically my whole life. I remember going to concerts as a teenager, and when I would get home and go to sleep, it amped up through the night, and would taper off within the next few days. I always thought this was just normal, because I cannot recall ever having silence.

I am quite a bit older now, and with the Rock & Roll and all of the practices and gigs and LOUD GUITAR players, my tinnitus has gotten worse. It's always kind of depressing the day after a really great gig, because my head is hammered with this LOUD annoying buzz and it really messes with me. Oh what I would do or give for the cure!!!

So, with that being said, I was on YouTube, looking for a song and up pops this add about the cure for tinnitus, and of course I jumped right on that. I read it a few times, and thought to myself, well... I have to try this because if it works, I would just be so happy, and they make it sound like they do not have a large supply, so you have to buy it now. The story really sucks you in. I didn't want to google it because I didn't want anything to destroy my cure, so I did not tell anyone, including my husband, that is how desperate I am! Ugh!!! I thought about it only for a day, and just jumped right in.... these people know when you are desperate, you will try anything.

The add says that you should be tinnitus free within a week, or two at the most. After the first three days, I kind of felt like the sound got a little quieter, but that could also be because I am in quarantine, and have not practiced or gigged for three weeks... After the week and half mark, the sound was the same, seemed like it changed a bit, not such a high hiss, but more of a low tone. and the tones have been changing in my head now that I am over three weeks, and headed for a whole month. I have been praying every day while I take this little pill "please work please work, oh God, please let this work". I have about 4 days to go and it will be a month, and I am starting to feel like I was scammed. I am bummed out. I really wanted this to work.

I of course went for the full monty and bought the biggest pack they had, so I have 6 months worth - ya it's okay... you can laugh at me... I deserve it... and I may still take it for maybe a couple more weeks to see if a miracle happens.

I will share with you guys to let you know if anything has changed.

I am happy that I found this Forum of people that can relate to this horrible condition. I just try to keep the TV Loud, and honestly, when you are around a social gathering its much easier than being in a quiet setting... well it is for me anyway, maybe that is because I have always had this and I don't know any different.

Well Peace Out to you all, and chime in if you want.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Blondierocks -- It looks to me like you may have made an important discovery here. My own take is the best chance you have for permanent improvement is to not practice or gig from here on out. -- All the Best!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Jaka
      Wishful

Jaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please don't say that you deserve to be laughed at for getting scammed while looking for a cure. There are people who tried even drastic things hoping to get rid of tinnitus.

Since your case seems to be noise induced it is good that you are giving your ears a rest. Also consider getting custom moulded musician earplugs or some kind of ear protection which still preserves sound quality if you would like to continue your music career.

But a lot of people on this forum will probably advise you to end your music career.
      I am not an expert, but I believe that if your bands are not stupendously loud, you should be fine with ear protection.

Let's hope that this is a temporary spike and that it will go away!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      You're not dumb for trying to find a cure. Tinnitus is a beast, especially during onset. The scammers are the ones to blame, not you.
      I understand the temptation, but don't go masking your tinnitus: this will only make it worse long-term, especially when it is sound induced. Instead, keep your TV at normal sound levels. It gives your ears the required space to heal, and as a bonus it helps your brain in learning to focus on more important things than tinnitus.

Trust me, we've all been there. This is not an easy road to walk, but you're capable of doing it. Do some research about tinnitus, give your ears (a lot of) time, and have faith that you'll be fine again in the end :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      While this advice may well produce the result described, the idea for a musician of not being involved with live music ever again can be more soul-destroying than any amount of noises in the head.

There are many professional musicians with tinnitus who are still able to follow their passion.

I would say it's important to take at least a substantial break from live music. Pete Townshend took a break from The Who for 15 years. And Neil Young would make an acoustic album whenever his tinnitus became troublesome. I'm only an amateur musician, so for me this meant:
      • no live music for at least a year (now extending to 18 months)
      • no music practice at home or listening to rock music for three months (gradually re-introducing now)
      • no listening to music on headphones indefinitely
      After almost a year I am able to play piano at home wearing earplugs, and I have been to a friend's house and done some home recording using speakers at low level rather than headphones. My hyperacusis is much less severe than it was, but I don't want to experience any setbacks.

I may consider playing live in some kind of acoustic setting, but I'm taking no action on that for at least another six months.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blondierocks
      Psychedelic

Blondierocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic
      Thank you! I feel the same way - if I was never to sing with a band again, that would be a very sad day for me... so, i will continue to fight this and find ways to stay positive!!! I know you can relate!!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blondierocks
      Psychedelic

Blondierocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic
      Thank you! I totally agree!!!to never play music again would be a sad day for sure! I will continue to fight and be positive!!! I know you can relate!!!

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    9. frank cuonzo

frank cuonzo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/15/1962
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      diesel generator operator u.s,army high pressure boilers
      Between the Army and dancing in front of live bands in the 50's and 60's i have lived with it for a long time.
      I deal with it on a day to day basis. some foods ,some drinks make it louder.some days are better than before.
      I would not wish this on anyone.

10. William Johnson

William Johnson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Yea, I bought Sonus and took it for three weeks. And I found no difference in my tinnitus, so I stopped. Not sure if it made it worse, but it has not made it better. Now, I hope I can get my money back. They claim a 60 day money back. We'll see I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. John Bevi1165

John Bevi1165 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You suggested masking is not good long term Don’t turn the tv volume high.
      but how about at night listening to sounds to help sleep?