I Got Tinnitus After the Second Shot of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Giruto, Mar 1, 2021.

1. tpeters1

tpeters1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      Any change since the increase after the Moderna vaccine? I had the same increase and it's been over a week with no change.

2. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      @tpeters1, thank you for your support. I have been this way since February 6th. 5 days after my shot. I haven't reported it yet to CDC but I think I might. There was a phone number that you could call. I have good days and bad. When I saw the audiologist on March 1, she said she read online (in her professional forum) that the tinnitus gets better, but I'm seeing very little improvement. I am better than I was 5 or 6 weeks ago. I felt complete lack of interest in anything. Despair. Couldn't function. I'm glad I don't feel that today. I also had anxiety and panic attacks... never had that before, so you can imagine how debilitating it was. My CEO and a friend at work walked me across the street to see the doctor during one of my attacks. Grateful for my employer and workplace environment!

I am praying it goes away in time, but I also fear it's permanent. I am praying for God's help everyday and that keeps me going.

Many people on this forum are really knowledgeable and you will find tips on how to cope. For me, leaning on God, changing my diet, hot showers, chamomile tea, prayer and meditation, and walking all help me cope. My husband has been tremendous! He is battling cancer and taking care of me during my dark days.

Work has been a great distraction. I work in a hospital as a director of surgical services, so I have great support. I also gave family and friends this site to read, to help them understand that while I look ok outside, a war is going on in my head.

You hang in there! I am happy to answer any questions I can and support you. Let me know how I can help. Praying for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. tpeters1

tpeters1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      Thanks Mary and I really appreciate your comments. Mine doesn't sound like it's nearly as bad as yours, but if it got just a little worse, it would definitely throw my life into an uproar. My fingers are crossed that it goes back down to it's original level... I'm trying to be optimistic, but it's difficult.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Leodavinci Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic + Sudden hearing loss
      I recommend you fast. If you are on a high carb diet, slowly ease off the carbs until you are ketogenic, then begin 16 hour daily intermittent fasting. Then one day a month, fast 24 hours and work it up to 48 hours. I just did a 48 hour fast, second fast of that length ever and my tinnitus from 1 of 2 Pfizer shot is 70% reduced. During the fast it was still very high, day after the fast it's very muted, doesn't bother me and I feel I can hear better in the ear with hearing loss.

Fasting works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I have read a lot of posts about tinnitus spiking after getting either vaccine. I would have waited had this been reported as a side effect.

I developed a spike about 10 days after shot #1 of Pfizer. It has been about a week, and it does seem to be easing up a bit, but still way worse than I was. I think it is our bodies working hard from the vaccine, and it will most likely fade in time, but it is scary as hell right now.

Can anybody report that their tinnitus is starting to fade from this?

My tinnitus was barely noticeable before the shot, now it's quite bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Richard Snyder

Richard Snyder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noticed it after 1st vaccine (Moderna).
      I did not have tinnitus before my first Moderna shot. I don't know if it's related, but that's when I noticed it. I did report it to the daily CDC check-in text I got.

I've been to the audiologist and ENT and everything looks "normal" and my hearing is good. The ringing hasn't stopped since early February.

I started the Prednisone last week and haven't noticed any difference.

It doesn't keep me from sleeping, but if I wake up at night, the sound can keep me awake. Really it's more worrying about the sound that keeps me up.

Very frustrating to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      From what I am reading COVID-19 may cause tinnitus and the COVID-19 vaccine may cause tinnitus. I read 1 in 15 people that have/had COVID-19 got tinnitus. Anyone know what the odds of getting tinnitus are after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?

8. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's been 30 days since my 1st Pfizer dose and 20 days since the worsened tinnitus and it is better now, almost as mellow as prior to the shot but I helped it along with fasting.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus was about a 5/10 before the Pfizer shot and an 8/10 or so ten days after the first shot. I also got a new tinnitus sound in my right ear but that is about a 3/10.

It has been 31 days since the first shot (I won't get a second) and the tinnitus in the left ear is about a 6/10 but I still sometimes have it in the right ear. It has improved and that makes sense since the best explanation would be my own immune system attacking or inflaming the ear, nerves muscles, etc that compromise the hearing as part of a systemic response to the mRNA vaccine.

Considering the 10-40% of people who get long COVID-19 I'm still glad I got the vaccine. Risk of symptoms from vaccine are probably higher than reported however.

10. UbonVet

UbonVet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure.
      Hi folks. New member here.

I’ve had tinnitus for many years and have been able to live with it. However, I received my second Moderna vaccine yesterday, and this morning I had noticeable hearing loss in my right ear along with a more pronounced ringing in my left ear. The change was significant enough for me to do a little research on the net, hence my winding up here. I hope the side effects won’t be permanent as I have enough problems already. Thanks for your support.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      If you get side effects from the vaccine, chances of it being tinnitus or hearing issues is 1 in 4 from the public report overview. Just... wow.

12. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      Hello all,

I wanted to provide an update. My tinnitus post 2nd Moderna vaccine is on day 65. I have some good days where I barely know it's there. But for the past 2 or 3 weeks I get spikes for 2 days. It's extremely frustrating and sends me into panic mode and I get really down. Still praying it goes away all together at some point or gets to a more tolerable level. This weekend has been very difficult as this spike doesn't seem to be subsiding. Sigh...

Praying for Divine intervention.

I had hoped by now it would be better considering I saw promising improvements. When I read some of the comments here I feel extremely sad and scared. I want to be a supportive person but sometimes I have to disconnect to preserve my positive thoughts.

Much love to this community of sufferers.

• Hug Hug x 3
    13. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What is the source for this? It does not match any of the reported data or even the VAERS reports.

14. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There's a lot of cognitive dissonance in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tallied the VAERS from January onwards.

16. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Then you tallied wrong. There were 56,722 total side effect events for all covid vaccines. The highest side effect likelihood is a headache at 23 percent; all auditory issues account individually for below 1 percent. For example, tinnitus is a side effect reported 0.65 percent of the time. There’s a greater chance of cardiac side effects.

• Informative Informative x 3
    17. Sara May

Sara May Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/3/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm completely new to this and wanted to ask anyone who's unfortunately afflicted and knowledgeable of this to help me understand what 'tinnitus' really is.

Is hearing a constant high frequency (13000 Hz in my case, relatively low volume but horribly constant) sound what tinnitus is or a common symptom?

I don't believe I've lost any hearing but have a constant 13000 Hz pitch in my head.

Thank you for sharing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. tpeters1

tpeters1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      Yes it’s a very high pitched steady tone and I didn’t lose any hearing either. It will vary in pitch and intensity a bit but still pretty steady. Mine is loud enough that the only way to drown it out is taking a shower or pretty loud music. A small fan on high doesn’t quite do it, in fact I have that, my ceiling fan and a white noise app on my phone going at night and I still hear it.

It’s been over three weeks now for me with absolutely no change since the day after my Moderna shot.

I’m scheduled for my second dose this Friday, and that’s a BIG HELL NO!! If mine got any worse it wouldn’t be tolerable.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think my worsened hearing and new tinnitus was also caused by the vaccine but I want to rule out other possibilities like pollen season.

Do you have any type of new onset Eustachian Tube Dysfunction coinciding with your worsened tinnitus/hearing? Do you have known allergies to trees, as it is tree pollen season?

Thanks in advance.

20. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you think it's possible that the shot was a coincidence but it's actually caused by the bad tree allergy season we are having in most of the USA? I'm asking because I have similar worsened tinnitus/hearing and it was after the Pfizer shot but also coincided with the start of the allergy season.

21. tpeters1

tpeters1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      I am absolutely certain that this is not a coincidence and is definitely from the vaccine, especially with others saying the same thing, and the fact that I don't have any allergies.

22. Leodavinci
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      6/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Sara May

Sara May Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/3/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @tpeters1, did you have a blood test after the vaccine? If so, what was your "Thyroid Peroxidase TPO Ab" level? Since these posts I went to an ENT doctor (I'm new to all this and thought I was a very healthy 50 year old), and the ENT doctor's audiogram test came back with perfect hearing, but of course they don't test higher frequencies, and the 'phantom' sound I'm hearing is a higher frequency than they test for. He also ordered blood work. Everything just came back in range apart from very high "Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO Ab)."

I'm wondering if others who felt their tinnitus was brought on by a vaccine have high levels of this antibody?

Thank you.

24. Markus74

Markus74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/21/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2nd Moderna Vaccination
      I had the second shot on 4/19 and still have a loud high piercing ring in my left ear. Went to the ENT today and he said that he’s getting more and more reports that this is from the vaccine, but said that in most cases when sudden tinnitus comes about from infection, being sick or in this case, forcing sickness on your body, that it WILL suppress in time, just could be months or years. I had mild tinnitus before this that came and went very infrequently, so hopefully my ENT is right and this too shall pass.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tallied all acoustic events, not just the tinnitus category alone, and then did some stats on it. I also limited it to a subset from January onwards.

26. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Didn't tally wrong, just used a different stats model taking into account all auditory or cerebral issues. Not basing it off their vague segregation of related subsets. Anyone of those likely has a similar mechanism including tinnitus production.

There's also been a significant uptick in newcomers here.

27. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Did you include anxiety, headaches or dizziness in the tally? Looking for a clarification on cerebral events. And did you exclude all events that were resolved? For example, dizziness or ear ringing immediately after the shot that resolved within minutes and did not return is not a lasting side effect.

Data can be manipulated in a number of ways. I only included auditory side effects. Plus I ran the numbers when this was first posted, it could have changed by now.

Not sure if the influx of new Tinnitus Talk members can be attributed to the vaccine alone. Even before the vaccine there was a 250 percent increase in tinnitus inquiries according to the BTA.

28. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      Has it ever occurred to folks that getting tinnitus after the COVID-19 vaccine is purely coincidental? If the vaccine causes people to get tinnitus, then the studies would've shown it when comparing to the placebo. Can't it be a possibility that you would've had the increase in your tinnitus whether you got a COVID-19 shot or saline?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. Bwarfiuk

Bwarfiuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 27, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID vaccine
      So I developed tinnitus after my first vaccine shot (AstraZeneca) and I’m now scared of getting the second shot. Has anyone gotten the second shot after worsening tinnitus from the first? Does anyone have any idea if this subsides over time? I feel like it has gotten better in my right ear, but I’m not sure if I’m just getting used to it. I can manage with what I have now, but if it gets worse then I would struggle.

30. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      How do you know that? How do you know your tinnitus is a direct result from AstraZeneca?