I Got Tinnitus and a Vestibular Disorder from Neck Adjustment

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lysbith72, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Lysbith72

Lysbith72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4-19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury
      I developed tinnitus and a vestibular disorder after an unwelcomed and unwanted neck adjustment.

At first sounds drive me mad, but that has dissipated a bit.

I get a low pitched ringing in my ear mainly when I lie down. I’m learning to ignore it , though sometimes I need white noise to drown it out.

I believe my issue is related to my neck hence cervical vertigo.

I have researched this connection like a professor, but still do not understand the link.

Is there bad flow to my ear or brain? Nerve damage in neck/ear? Lesions of vestibular pathway? Stiff neck muscles? I’ve tried stretching, massage, and yoga.

This is truly annoying. Anyone have similar issue? Any researchers studying this connection?

My ENT ruled out ear damage or virus.

2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It definitely *sounds* like "cervicogenic dizziness" and a good physical therapist can help a lot with this. Actually regardless of cause, a good vestibular specialized PT is worth their weight in gold.

I can't speak as much to the tinnitus, but if you don't have associated hearing changes, seems reasonable it might settle down on its own in time.

3. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      What type of chiropractic adjustment did you get?

Craniocervical tinnitus is definitely distinct tinnitus sub-type. The cervical spine is the terminus off the spinal cord and where the spine meets the brain stem with several arteries and cranial nerves running thru there. Sounds like you might have some sort of misalignment.

Have you had any imaging done since your onset? Have you been checked for musculoskeletal misalignment? How is your posture? Does turning or flexing your neck in anyway worsen or improve your tinnitus? Is your tinnitus worse on or isolated to one side?

Agree with @FGG to seek a vestibular-specialized PT.