I Have High-Frequency Tinnitus from Noise Trauma, But I Can Hear a Dog Whistle...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Digga, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Digga
      Dumb

Digga Member

I have extremely high pitched tinnitus in both ears which I'm led to believe mean I lose hearing at high frequencies. However I can hear things like a dog whistle surely If I had damage at high frequencies you cannot get much higher than a dog whistle.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You can still have damage in some parts of your higher frequencies, even if you are able to hear a dog whistle. Your experience really proves nothing one way or another, I'm afraid. :(

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Also damage means that you still hear those frequencies but only at higher volume so you may hear a dog whistle but not if its too quiet or far away hence the tinnitus
      In most cases each ear has damage at different frequencies so used together they can hear sort of okay but because of the imbalance of hearing signals coming into the brain you have a tinnitus recreating those left and right poor frequencies separately and mixing it back amplified into the brain
      That's why the tinnitus seems louder than the actual hearing loss

4. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Do you know what caused these issues @Digga ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Digga
      Dumb

Digga Member

I was out with friends one day in the car and they put the radio on full blast and every beat felt like a pounding to my ears after 2 mins I told them to turn it down but it seems a little to late. At first the t was very quiet I could only hear it when lying down but then one time a fire alarm went off and from there it has got worse