I Hear Better in My “Worse" Ear — Is This Hidden Hearing Loss? Or Are We Born with a Better Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Benjaminbb, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey,

So as the title states, I’ve always subjectively heard better in my left ear, mostly noticeable in loud environments, and I always feared my right ear was going deaf because it wasn’t as good detail wise.

Imagine covering one side at a time and hearing that obvious difference.

Everything feels open, I can hear ambient sound better etc.

The right ear is almost like hearing through a piece of gladwrap or something. Like the ear drum doesn’t move as well. It’s about clarity and detail, more so than frequency.

Yet recent audiometry tone tests show the opposite! I always assumed they were wrong but they’re right.

The right ear is perfect (0 dB) and the left is down to -15 dB in the highs (4-8 kHz). Ironically, it's because I have always protected my right ear more since I thought it was already damaged!

What is happening here? Are we born with a better ear?

Is this what we call “hidden hearing loss”? Doesn’t seem like that would make much sense as I would have had to have had it since I was about 20. Considered that my left ear has recruitment but I doubt that was the case 10 years ago.

Arguably the only difference in 10 years is that the left now has some damage but still hears better and is also what I do most of my “interpretation” through.

All that I remember was about 10 years ago I had some fullness and hyperaccusis in my right ear for about 18 months and that kind of blocked feeling just became the norm.

Any ideas why this could be the case? Other friends have told me they have one ear that is significantly better too and have since they were 20 or so.

Now I’m left with “excellent hearing” tonally in my dumb ear that can’t even utilise it! Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      What you're describing is something I haven't seen nearly enough discussion or research on.

Try getting a massage. Have them focus on the area around your bad ear. Or just do it yourself; have a feel all around your head, looking for any tender or swollen spots. In my case, the lack of clarity was being caused by swollen muscles all around my head, particularly my right (bad) side.

Tinnitus and sound distortion/sensitivity basically stayed the same for months until I started basically experimenting on myself, massaging this inflammation down.

My working thesis is that inflammation of the muscles and structures that are near and interconnected to the ears/nose/throat can negatively impact the physical conduction of sound.

I believe this inflammation was caused by the extreme stress the muscles were put under to protect from the ear battering concert volume. For an unknown reason my ears stayed clenched up in defense mode, essentially requiring a manual reset.

• Like Like x 1
    3. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hey,

You've described my ears perfectly! In fact you have pretty much the same story as me!

Left ear has always been my better ear. When I cover each in turn my left has much more clarity than my right. However all tests show normal hearing (I know the tests are not that great etc). However, my brain seems to tune out the difference or did.

Like you 10 years ago I had fullness and H but for 5 long years until it just went away.

Unfortunately H and fullness have returned and once again I'm fighting for my life.

Shaun.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the story! I really wonder why it’s the case for many people. Keen to hear more thoughts if anyone knows why. Maybe it’s due to whatever caused the fullness.

Funny thing is, when you talk about fighting for you life — I remember being annoyed and super sensitive when I first got it. I was working on an album at the time and basically had my speakers on 1/10 and still had pain. But I just gritted through it , performed with ear plugs through it and had a normal life.

I’ve always worn ear plugs since, even in bars and restaurants. What I’m essentially saying is, don’t let it ruin your life. I look back surprised that I got through it easily when I hear people talking like this all over this site, even myself! As much as it sucks, I really think perspective plays a big part! Along with anxiety.

Now that I went through some stuff recently I was far more upset that I had to wear ear plugs, not sure headphones etc. But I was literally almost doing the exact same thing weeks before and it didn’t bother me because I had no fear. But with a changed perspective it seemed worse.

Life without headphones, wearing ear plugs, etc. isn’t the end! Could have both legs missing and you’d still live on!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      @Benjaminbb, I know you're right and for a few months I accepted it... Pain and all but then I slipped back into bad thought pattern.

I think anxiety plays a massive role in it all... More anxiety... More pain... A vicious circle.

I keep hoping in a few more years most of the pain will have gone :)

Shaun.

6. roy1159
      Suicidal

roy1159 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL from working in a noisy cafe' for 2 years
      Let me guess, you are right handed and have a history of power tools or firearms? If you do, it does explain the difference between the ears.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Crazy! And after a while of massage it went away? Thing is, mine has been like this for 10 years.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, none of that.

As stated, the hearing is officially better in that ear when it comes to tests. If that was the case, the tests would show hearing loss.