I Might Have Tinnitus, Scared

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lars, Jan 22, 2019.

1. lars

lars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi All,

I’ve had ringing in my ears for a week now. I’ve never been exposed to loud noises, I’m just learning about tinnitus. Is it possible this will go away? My doctor tried antibiotics in case it was an ear infection, but it didn’t help. I have an appointment with an audiologist next.

Thanks,

Lars

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes! Assuming you don't hurt your ears as you heal, there is a good chance that it will fade (and even go away). It can take anywhere between 3 and 24 months for this to happen.

Check out the studies linked to at the link in the first tip on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

You might want to take a look at all of the tips there. Some of them might help you to avoid making your T worse.

There are also some potential treatments for T being developed:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Virginia1027

Virginia1027 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2013
      Lars,

Yes, there is a good chance things will go back to normal but in the event they do not it's OK! Having tinnitus not the end of your life. I've had it for over 5 years so I know just how you feel! Treat this as a nervous system malfunction (which I believe it is). Do things to be kind to your body. Meditate, go to bed early, use maskers when you need a break (I use an app called Relax Melodies). Watch a guy named Julian Cowan-Hill on YouTube. His ideas changed seriously changed my tinnitus experience! Most important of all, hang on to the fact that this WILL GET BETTER. Your brain will get used to this. Panic will subside and you will move on. Your "normal" will just change that's all. No more different than if you had any other medical condition like allergies, diabetes, etc. Sure you might not go to anymore rock concerts but movies are fine (use cotton - my favorite earplug - for super loud ones like Avengers) but otherwise carry on! Go to restaurants, see friends, anything you want! If the T spikes (at first it probably will) don't panic. IT ALWAYS GOES BACK DOWN. Since getting tinnitus I have adopted a fourth child, learned to rappel, kayak, deep cave exploring, bike race and finished a Tough Mudder race with my daughter's 19-year-old boyfriend! So don't fret. It gets better and you will move forward. Right now it's like (think back to before GPS if you're old enough) being lost. You feel you will be lost forever. Once you find your way you say to yourself, "Oh! I was almost there the whole time!" Don't fret if this takes a long time. You're traumatized right now. Healing won't happen fast (or fast enough!) but it WILL happen. It takes lots (so, so much) practice but I promise this gets way better!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Yes it may very well go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lars

lars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks all, I’ve heard caffeine is bad, should I try giving it up for a while? Also, should I not use my headphones with music at the gym? Your comments have really uplifted me, regardless of the outcome.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Some people report that when they change their diet, their type of T has gotten better while others make no difference. It never hurts to try the diet route. Excess salt, caffeine, sugar, MSG, alcohol, gluten etc. have been quoted as something that can make T worse. If your ears are quite unstable, you may want to keep headphones off for a while or at least don't use it long and at a low volume. Another approach to keep T under check is to keep positive and calm as much as you can. Anxiety and stress are bad for T so being positive and calm can lower anxiety and stress. Try to find hobbies or goals to pursue so your mind can focus on something else than T. Try live a normal life as much as you can. Usually over time, T may fade or become less intensive. People can also improve on their ability to handle the ringing, and their perception of T may also improve. Give it some time. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury